Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am approaching 100,000 miles and I know that there is some stuff that I should have done sooner, but just was not able too. I need recommendations on what to get and do.

1. Spark Plugs, what is the recommend make and model #?

2. Plug wires, make and model?

3. I assume I need to replace cap and rotor (recommendations)?

4. Timing chain? I called a local shop that was highly recommended and they
said that it did not need replacing, can anyone verify?

Any other items do I need to be concerned wtih?

Thanks,

·
Registered
22 Posts
On spark plugs nissan uses or use to use ngk plugs. That is what i will use i think. Call the service dept of your local dealership and ask them. In the chiltons book says timing chain should last for the life of the engine. Those plugs should be cheaper at a parts store than the dealership also

·
Registered
260 Posts
NGK Factory plugs, factory distributor cap and rotor, factory fuel and air filter - from Nissan Parts - Everythingnissan.com

Also factory plug wires - or maybe try NGK aftermarket from Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com if they're really expensive from Nissan. For some reason even the discounted price is over $100 for my truck from Nissan.

When you're dealing with a Nissan ignition system, it's good to avoid aftermarket parts as much as possible... these engines are very particular.

Good luck!

Heath

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It seems the the OEM plugs are NGK PFR56-11 and that is what I will order. I was curious about the NGK plug wires.

Also, basically the shop I called did say that the timing chain was good for the life of the engine, but I read on here that it needs replaced.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A while back, I bought and installed a set of NGK plug wires for my 6cyl, but ended up returning them because two of the wires were separating at the distributor terminal crimps. I don't know if this problem is endemic to NGK wires, but you might want to inspect them before you leave the store, just to make sure.

·
Registered
939 Posts
the ka24de is bullet proof. take it from someone who is on his second one

as mentioned above, some attention to the ignition system plus regular oil and air/oil/fuel filter changes is all it'll ever need. oh and you may be overdue for a radiator flush

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It seems the the OEM plugs are NGK PFR56-11 and that is what I will order. I was curious about the NGK plug wires.

Also, basically the shop I called did say that the timing chain was good for the life of the engine, but I read on here that it needs replaced.
The V6 needs the timing belt replaced, the 4cyl (chain) does not need to be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts