Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at the Turkey Run at Daytona Speedway yesterday just checkin' out all the cool cars and stuff and enjoying the day with my Marine son and his girlfriend. As we passed a small vendor tent I noticed he had X-pipes and Magnaflow knock-offs for sale. I had been reading over the posts here at Club Frontier and remembered that the consensus opinion for best performance was true duals with a crossover pipe. So, I picked up an X-pipe and 2 Magnaknock-offs for $85.

This morning I drove over to JR's Muffler shop and saw my friend Ben Moss there with his strip car. The owner, Rickie, lets Ben put his Blazer on the lift to check things before he hits the strip. Rickie asked me why I wanted duals on that V6. I told him my plan was to scrap the stock muffler and pipe and install the Magnaflows and X-pipe because I wanted more torque and he said, OK, I'll do it, if that's what you want.

He cut off the stock muffler with a sawzall and torch and next thing I knew, the plumbing was GONE! He started measuring and cutting and bending one section at a time. As he got it right, he tack welded each piece in place. He told me he could make them split and go to both sides, but I would need to remove the spare and replace it with a smaller one. I thought that was a good idea, so off it came. He then completed all the welds and after about an hour and a half, he said, "OK, fire it up!". I turned the key and it cranked over and rumbled really sweet. I told him I needed to hit the ATM to get the cash and he said "Go get my money, man". I jumped in the Frontier and stomped it and squealled the tires and ROARed off. When I came back, he said "Man, that V6 has some balls!"

He charged me $150 and I think I got my money's worth. If you live anywhere near Orange Park, Florida, make sure you look up JR's Muffler shop on Kingsley Avenue.

I shot a few photos of the process and location of the components to share with y'all.

:goodjob:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not often do I say this, but looks like you got more work done than money spent.

did you notice performance difference?
Oh yeah, I can feel the torque increase as soon as I step on it. :excellent:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Great setup. A good tuner will help take even more advantage of that good exhaust you have.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reset ECU

Yesterday I decided to reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 minutes. WOW - was that a great move or what!! I have a BIG TIME throttle response improvement at the low end now. :fantastic:

I understand that the ECU will 'learn' with each time I drive it.

I am expecting my Scan Gauge II from Fontana Nissan today so I can't wait to hook it up and monitor the engine's performance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any chance of getting a sound clip up?
We'd all love to hear this set-up.
I'll see what I can do about a sound clip this evening.:crikey:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
I like it. It doesnt sound too loud or too quite. Its a good in the middle. Now we need time slips!!!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The flyby was perfect, but incriminating :laugh: Sounds Great!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sounds good. A little quite, but still sounds healthy.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
That sounds pretty good.
It's sorta tough to tell from the tiny cell phone microphone, but I think it gets the point across.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
better quality audio and video

That sounds pretty good.
It's sorta tough to tell from the tiny cell phone microphone, but I think it gets the point across.
Yeah, the audio quality on the cell phone video was pi$$poor. I took it out this morning and used my digital camera and you can hear the sound much clearer and LOUDER.

Start-up
Frontier :: ExhuastVideos006.flv video by jagnorb - Photobucket

Accelerate inside
Frontier :: ExhuastVideos007.flv video by jagnorb - Photobucket

Drive-by
Frontier :: ExhuastVideos009.flv video by jagnorb - Photobucket

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
DAMN that sounds sweet.
Yes, much better audio this time around.
Best set up I've heard yet.
Do you get any drone in the cabin?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Awesome! I can tell the vids don't give it proper justice though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts