Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after some research, i've decided i want to swap the m226 into my Automatic SE 4x2 King-Cab sometime in the future when i have the time and money. However, with all of the rear end locker problems i've read about, I think i want to find an m226 without the locker and go with TrueTrac instead. I believe TerribleOne has accomplished this with success? I wanted to know what problems I should anticipate. I realize all of this may have been covered multiple times, so i apologize in advance. I'm a n00b when it comes to the mechanical workings of rear ends. I am really curious, though, what specific parts will be needed to make this work in my truck with the addition of TrueTrac. I may be ordering the axle new from the dealership if i can't find the right one for my truck at a junk/salvage yard (I can get a 20% discount on OEM nissan parts)

I was talking with a local guy who used to be on this forum, and he said his Nismo locking m226 rear endS have given him way too much trouble, and recommended going with TrueTrac for a little more durability. I do plan on wheeling the truck more, so i'd like a e-locker, but a lot of you guys have claimed that the oem rear end lockers keep breaking...? I won't be doing any super intense rock crawling, but i would like to do some more mild-moderate wheeling and mudding.

According to the list, i assume i'll have to find the rear end out of a manual SE truck to get the m226 without a locker...So the question arises, will the rear end from a Manual truck bolt up to my Auto truck?? (assuming i get a rear end from another 4x2) Also...does it matter if the rear end is from a CrewCab or KingCab? I'm thinking I will avoid picking up a rear end from a 4x4 because i read that the drive shaft has a 4 bolt pattern....and my 2wd has a 6 bolt pattern. correct? I would like to change as few parts as possible.

So the main question is...what parts will be needed to make this happen?
m226 axle assembly, abs lines, sensors, gaskets?, TrueTrac (+ races and bearings??) ...anything needed for the drive shaft?

Listed for reference:
SE KC 4x2 6M M226 3.538
SE KC 4x2 5A C200 3.133
SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538
SE KC 4x4 5A C200 3.133
SE CC 4x2 6M M226 3.538
SE CC 4x2 5A C200 3.133
SE CC 4x4 6M M226 3.692
SE CC 4x4 5A C200 3.357
NISMO KC 4x2 5A M226 3.133
NISMO KC 4x4 6M M226 3.692
NISMO KC 4x4 5A M226 3.357
NISMO CC 4x2 5A M226 3.131
NISMO CC 4x4 5A M226 3.357

·
Registered
431 Posts
do a couple searches on this before everyone starts flaming you. also this will enable you to correct your final drive with lower factory gears.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Ah man, i almost did a straight swap with you. Thought you had 3.36.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
do a couple searches on this before everyone starts flaming you. also this will enable you to correct your final drive with lower factory gears.
I've spent the past 2 or 3 days reading through Pro2x's threads and TerribleOne's thread "truetrac + 4.10's" I'm getting a little lost though...and the search doesn't exactly work that well.
My main questions are related to manual vs auto trucks, different drive shafts/parts, and installation of of the axle assembly with truetrac and the various components.

@ BlackTiger:
Yea i have the c200 3.133 because i have an Auto.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i thought the c200 arb was only for the first gens. if they got it to fit sign me up because thats the only prob i see with the 200 oh that and no freakin gears.

i found a 226 at a yard a few months back but it had the wrong ratio, but they only wanted like $600 for it and that was with the e locker

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Trust me, i've spent the past 2 or 3 days reading through Pro2x's threads and TerribleOne's thread "truetrac + 4.10's"
My main questions are related to manual vs auto trucks, different drive shafts/parts, and installation of of the axle assembly with truetrac and the various components.

@ BlackTiger:
I like fried CHICKEN
^ Sorry bout that. Tried to correct myself before anyone could read my posting. Have you talked to ARB or Truetrac about any plans on making something for the C200? Would hate to see them come out with something right after you spent 1,000s of dollars...Maybe you can do something custom?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Possibly...but i don't have a good shop around here that i'm familiar with.
Lol its cool about the post. Quick edit yours! i already edited mine after noticing you edited yours. :laugh:

$600 is a good price HALE. I'm still doing lots of junkyard/salvage searches, but nearly every description of junked/salvaged Frontiers is wrong. Everytime i get ahold of someone, I find out, its the wrong axle or something is wrong with it...etc...

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Done ^

·
Registered
431 Posts
the salvage yards don't know what they have i finally had to just go down there and take a look around myself with the manager. i'd rather keep the 200 if gears and a locker would come out for it since i haven't heard of anyone blowing one up yet and lots of guys are running first gen 200s with big tires with little problems., but i'm not holding my breathe for after market support on the 200.

black tiger why do you want 336s don't you want to go lower. i'm out gotta hit the lumber yard @6 am

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
.... TrueTrac for a little more durability. I do plan on wheeling the truck more, so i'd like a e-locker, but a lot of you guys have claimed that they keep breaking them...?
^mine broke... wasn't doing anything spetacular either!
E-lockers have an annoying lag/wait for it to lock/unlock too.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
the salvage yards don't know what they have i finally had to just go down there and take a look around myself with the manager. i'd rather keep the 200 if gears and a locker would come out for it since i haven't heard of anyone blowing one up yet and lots of guys are running first gen 200s with big tires with little problems., but i'm not holding my breathe for after market support on the 200.

black tiger why do you want 336s don't you want to go lower. i'm out gotta hit the lumber yard @6 am
Titan Diff for the front is 3.36

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
:nana:i have c200/3.36:nana: sorry had to i wanted to swap to m226 and a arb but i also dont wanna spend all that money then have them come out with a locker and/or gears for the c200 and i also cant afford all the titan stuff for the front end guess im fine for now but good luck

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
First, make sure to get the NON locked M226 if you are going with the TrueTrac. You can get the TrueTrac into a locked housing but you will need to machine all of the internals of the E-locker out of the housing for it to fit...so unless you find a locked housing a few hundred dollars less than non locked it's not worth it.

Secondly, as you already mentioned make sure you get the correct rear flange pattern...yours should be a 6 bolt now, but definitely take a look to confirm. If you can't find the infamous 6 bolt m226 you have a few options. Scan the junk yards for a Nismo drive shaft with the 4 bolt to swap out; have a custom drive shaft built (not too expensive); or cut the flange off your stock pinion and weld it to the m226. I don't recommend the cutting the flange option at all...but it has worked for well over a year on my truck without any issues; so if that is your last resort just make sure that the person doing it knows their 'ish.

Third, ABS lines...they are different; so make sure you get them with the axle. Junkyards should provide you with the entire assembly including ABS.

Fourth, gears...if you are already tearing everything apart and building the axle now is the time to upgrade. The manual Nismo has perfect gears (3:69) for running 33's.

Lastly...you really missed out. I had an M226 housing from a manual that I just threw away like a month ago. I kept posting and posting for anyone to just come and get it..no one wanted it? Good luck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info! So i'm assuming the manual rear end will bolt up the same as an auto rear end without any modifications needed? ...and it won't matter if its out of a crewcab or kingcab? I just want to be sure. damn...yea back when you had the m226, i didn't really know what it was because i hadn't done the research. Now, im kicking myself...

I have a couple emails to Richmond Gears about a C200 lock right. I am going to be calling them this week if I dont get a response by email.
keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I know the ARB has popped up but this will only fit the m226. This is an option depending on the offroading you are going to be doing. Desert running is for the TT and rock crawling is for the ARB.

Never buy it new from the dealer. It will cost you an arm and a leg and possibly your left nut and then you will end up tearing it down anyway. Just buy a used one, buy the TT/ARB and the bearings and possibly axle seals since you will be disturbing the stock ones. The only other thing to keep in mind is the axle shafts. The nismo ones are a little thicker (Nizmut posted this) so it may be worth finding those as an upgrade. You may also be able to make some calls to some dealers and see if they have any busted diffs laying around. You can find them for free or cheap and will help your budget a lot.

Side Note: Only real issue with the ARB is that you need to have an air source to lock it up so that it even more money and weight that you may not want to deal with.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I know the ARB has popped up but this will only fit the m226. This is an option depending on the offroading you are going to be doing. Desert running is for the TT and rock crawling is for the ARB.

Never buy it new from the dealer. It will cost you an arm and a leg and possibly your left nut and then you will end up tearing it down anyway. Just buy a used one, buy the TT/ARB and the bearings and possibly axle seals since you will be disturbing the stock ones. The only other thing to keep in mind is the axle shafts. The nismo ones are a little thicker (Nizmut posted this) so it may be worth finding those as an upgrade. You may also be able to make some calls to some dealers and see if they have any busted diffs laying around. You can find them for free or cheap and will help your budget a lot.

Side Note: Only real issue with the ARB is that you need to have an air source to lock it up so that it even more money and weight that you may not want to deal with.
Are you positive of this? The TruTrac will work in any m226 rear; the spline count and diameter of the axle shafts are identical between the manual m226, Nismo m226, and Titan m226...at least all the ones I have opened up. The only change to the shafts were post 2008 Titan rear ends, they are thicker with a higher spline count.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts