Nissan Frontier Forum banner

M226 diff not limited slip?

10K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  mxtreme30 
#1 ·
Hello all,

From doing some research it seemed like the M226 differential was limited slip, but after jacking my truck uo and spinning one wheel it seems that mine is an open diff. Do they come in both open and limited configurations?

Thanks

Mitch

#3 ·
Nope they are open diff or electric lock.

They do have ABLS. which is a electronically controlled system which uses the ABS system. It senses wheel spin and applies some braking force to that wheel in order to distibute some power to th non spinning wheel.

Kind of like the old school feathering the e brake trick.
Thank you for the reply and information. The ABLS is decent feature to have.. I have the e-lock but of course only on 4 Low. Might do the bypass later on but uncertain about it since i don't really need it.

#4 ·
The bypass is really unnecessary as you only need to be locked in low. But I did it anyways. Fun to lock it up in 2wd and drift around. I can also see a situation where you lose your 4wd and not be able lock the rear end in the OE mode.

There are 2 different bypass methods. The old one uses a relay and is a bit complicated. I did it thia way. The other method simply jumpers 2 wires. Should be more reliable.

#5 ·
How does the E locker work at speed?

#9 ·
Reactions: Tommy Pearson III
#10 ·
That is what I run.

Reactions: Tommy Pearson III
#12 ·
You could of ordered it as an option when I bought my “S” model.
I didn’t because it was not an good option for a desert race truck.
The VQ 40 / manual trans/the M226.

#13 ·
Oh yeah, aluminum wheels.

#18 ·
It is limited slip, just not the crude mechanical clutch crap. It is a smart electronic limited slip. Which doesn't have the downfalls of a mechanical but has more performacne than a mechanical limited slip as well. One tire in the air, the one on the ground will spin. It acts as an open differential (because that is what it is), until you get tire spin. To some extent the electronic stability control will keep you from doing stupid (although sometimes fun) things. Once you get past that you will have great performance. And you don't have the mechanical limited slip spinning you out on a flat road when it is real slick out.

#20 · (Edited)
From the start, I needed the truck to defeat the “silt beds”, Get stuck a few times and you are done!
This year the Frontier did great!
We ran the truck almost full time in four wheel drive. The r180 held up. Probably the Lokka helped.
My mechanical limitrd slip did it t’s job. The new/used differential has a elocker. I think I will keep the mechanical.
It seems to have survived the failure,Just not made to leave the road at 70 plus.

#21 ·
Reactions: AndysLog
#22 ·
How fast can you go with an E-locker?
Will have one for sale, plus the axle needed.

#23 ·
#24 ·
I hate silt!!

#25 ·
This site is do difficult to maneuver in.
Tried to edit my post. Sometimes it works but mostly it fails!
All I wanted to say, ran the Trutrac at over 80 mph.

#26 ·
This site is do difficult to maneuver in.
Tried to edit my post. Sometimes it works but mostly it fails!
All I wanted to say, ran the Trutrac at over 80

#28 ·
No, Did not really need to this last race.!
Trutrac, Lokka locker in front with 4:11’s did the job.
Took years to figure it out, Knock on wood. Reason why TT’s are going four wheel drive.
Where seconds count, getting stuck pretty much ends your race.

#29 ·
Also must add that with almost 14” of front travel and still have 4x4, it allowed the truck to enter silty whoops faster . Less prone to get stuck.

#33 ·
Bajasam is correct.
Trutrac and Lokka is about a grand in Parts. Still need ring and pinion for both differentials, maybe rebuild kids. Labor also.
Bypass? Piece of wire.?

#34 ·
Forgot, if you go to a Trutrac, you will need a axle from a open differential. $450 new.

#38 ·
Unless you travel off road at speed,got to agree with Bajasam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.