Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys quick question for you...so I took my truck in for an oil change and tire rotation. After about a month I decided to recheck the wheel torque and they were all about half a rotation from clicking at 98ftlbs. I lifted the front end before doing this and didn't feel anything as far as being lose. Do you think my wheels could be ruined or am I just looking too much into it? None of the lugnuts where physically loose to the touch but where not at 98ftlbs, thanks

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi guys quick question for you...so I took my truck in for an oil change and tire rotation. After about a month I decided to recheck the wheel torque and they were all about half a rotation from clicking at 98ftlbs. I lifted the front end before doing this and didn't feel anything as far as being lose. Do you think my wheels could be ruined or am I just looking too much into it? None of the lugnuts where physically loose to the touch but where not at 98ftlbs, thanks
Not only are your wheels hosed so are your wheel bearings and shocks.

JK. You are too overly worried for nothing. So long as nothing was loose, everything stayed intact.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Your probably fine. This is why I do the maintenance myself. One car I had had free oil changes and tire rotations. Get home and I was missing a lug nut.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Alloy wheels? The national chain tire shop near me leaves a notice in the alloy wheel cars with all tire work stating to return in 100 miles for a free retorque. Slight loosening after a remount is typical with aluminum alloy wheels. Normal, not a big deal as long as you tend to it. (And probably why they seem extra tight on a factory fresh vehicle, trying to avoid this loosening.)

And let's remember, it is not likely that 98 pounds on your torque wrench is 98 pounds on that shop torque wrench. Both have a margin of error of 1-2%, quite likely.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the dealer I went to never mentioned coming back in for a retorque I just thought I check them for the hell of it. I wasn't having any noises or vibrations but was surprised when I got half a turn out of them before I hit the spec

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Now did they loosen up or were they never tightened completely?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol definitely not going to lock right them. I ended up pulling the wheels off and didn't see any damage to the wheels or studs. So I reinstalled and torqued to spec

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
After 100 miles or so re torque them again. In my case, I check them before and after each off road run just to confirm.... last year after GoneMoab one guy lost a wheel on the way home. That wheel had been removed to replace an axle and most likely was not torqued or re torqued correctly. Unfortunately, some significant damage occurred since it came off at freeway speed! Luckily no one was injured....

·
Registered
105 Posts
For what it's worth... A bit over a week ago I had my front wheels off for undercoating. Reinstalled them and torqued to 98ft.lb. Today, 100 or so miles later, I rechecked the fronts, and for fun the rears, too, (2500 miles on my 4-month old truck) with the wrench set at 98ft.lb. All 4 wheels, all the lug nuts tightened about 1/6 or so of a turn to click at 98 on the wrench. This is a Napa branded 1/2" drive, 150ft.lb clicker torque wrench.

Moral of the story- watch your nuts.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Never locktite on wheel studs. It will make more problems than it will ever solve.

Damaged wheels, no. So long as they were more than finger tight they will be fine. Damage is only when they are so loose they are flopping around. Factory wheels are hubcentric. That center lip centers the wheel, the lugnuts just hold it on, don't actually take the weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
V8 man
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing