Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I seem to have a small trans fluid leak from around the top of the transmission - potentially a seal near one of the shifters?

I'm considering putting a bottle of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer into the trans to hopefully stop this leak. Lucas oil claims to be good for manual trans and can stop leaks.

Anyone on here have any experience putting this in a manual trans? good or bad?

Thanks,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering about that. . .

Can you get to them from inside the cab of the truck?

When you lift off the plastic covering the base of the shifters there is another rubber and metal plate with at least 3 screws. Can you just take these out to get down to it?

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
that plate you speak of is held down by 4 screws, and comes out easily. Atleast on my 99 it comes out easy.

once you remove that plate you can see down to your transmission, and the rubber boot that goes around the shifter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the rubber boot the seal or is there another seal under those rubber boots? I haven't physically taken it apart yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
Is the rubber boot the seal or is there another seal under those rubber boots? I haven't physically taken it apart yet.

Thanks
yes the rubber is the seal. it's held in place by what looks to be a zip tie. on my 99 the boot was torn, so gl4 would leak.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok here's the update - the seal at the base of the gear selector was definitely the culprit.

However, getting to it was a little more involved.

There are 7 screws, and the carpet, lower half of the dashboard console and the middle console itself need to be removed/partially removed to get to the seal.

If anyone is undertaking this feel free to ask.

Another question - Can I add Nissan MTF right into the base of the gear selector to avoid having to hand pump it in from under the truck?
And to get the rubber seal on - one person said to boil it - any other ways?

Thanks again

·
Registered
939 Posts
yeah you can dump the oil from the top but you'll need to remove the filler and watch for when it's full underneath

·
Registered
443 Posts
yes you can add mtf from the top, just make sure you dont over fill it.

Dang i didn't know it was that complicated on a 02-04 truck...

to get the rubber boot/seal i bought the whole shifter assembly with the seal in it... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha - yeah i was a little surprised how much i had to take out too so that i could refit a $10 part.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I wouldn't exactly boil it but you can hold it in some hot water to help the rubber relax and thus stretch a little so it is easier to handle. Kinda like putting a hose end in hot water for a minute before trying to slide it over a fitting. If you just drop it in boiling water thou, it may touch the bottom where the temp may be a bit higher and thus melt the rubber and etc.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice - everything came out and went back in fine.

The boot didn't need to be boiled or anything - it went on easy with a little wd40 on the shifter.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was wondering about that. . .

Can you get to them from inside the cab of the truck?

When you lift off the plastic covering the base of the shifters there is another rubber and metal plate with at least 3 screws. Can you just take these out to get down to it?

Thanks
on my 2001, it was very easy to change. 6 bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
does anyone have a part number for the rubber seal for an XE 2.4L? My seal is ripped and the dealer can't find the part I am asking for and I could not find it on courtesyparts. Thanks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
does anyone have a part number for the rubber seal for an XE 2.4L? My seal is ripped and the dealer can't find the part I am asking for and I could not find it on courtesyparts. Thanks.
you must have not looked hard enough, found it in less than a min.

341 Transmission Control & Linkage :: Power Train :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Frontier Parts (D22U) 1998-2004 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[32862]+\(d22u&cPath=2129_2130_2195_2217

1 - 17 of 17 Posts