Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a chance to pick up on some new Goodyear Wrangler All terrain Tires for under 50 dollars each. They are LT265/75R16 Load Range C (2,469 pounds @ 50 psi) or LT265/75R16 Load Range E (3,417 pounds @ 80 psi) to which I'm at a loss to know which would be the better choice for my long bed Frontier. I do some trailer towing but no where near enough to warrant the load range E tires but at under 50 bucks each I'm tempted. I know you can air LT tires down to improve their ride when not towing but how much can you air them down, can I run them @ 36 psi like the stock p-metrics? Looking for insight and opinions please...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Not sure on this exact goodyear tire , buy most of us guys/gals that off-road run LT rated tires.
LT tires will be significantly heavier in weight , so your gas MPG will suffer
LT tires will not ride as soft and smooth as P

You can run the LT rated tires at the PSI that has the best contact point on the ground for the weight of your truck.
I run my LT285/75-16 at around 39-40 PSI but I have a lot of extra weight on my truck.

If you run them at 50 PSI the center of the tire tread would wear out significantly faster than the outer tread.... 50 PSI would be for like on a full size 3/4 ton pick-up truck

Reactions: Contra

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carl, the tires I currently have are 39 pounds, and while I believe the C is 45 pounds and the E is 51 pounds for this reason I am leaning toward the C tire...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I ran E rated Hankook Dynapro ATm's on my Frontier in that size. 36PSI was the perfect pressure and they wore perfectly with the 1st set still having 5/8 of the original tread depth at 50000 miles. The weight difference is negligible and totally worth the improved handling and puncture resistance.

It really depends on what type of roads you drive on most often. In my case, I live in the mountains and the 2 lane roads have a lot of tight curves. The E rated tires handled much better than the stock P rated BFG Long Trails. If you go off road and air down for traction, the E rated tires will be a better choice.

That is an excellent price for a Goodyear tire! Make sure you check the date of manufacture on the sidewall as older tires have already begun to degrade.

·
Rogue Admin
13,351 Posts
I ran E rated Hankook Dynapro ATm's on my Frontier in that size. 36PSI was the perfect pressure and they wore perfectly with the 1st set still having 5/8 of the original tread depth at 50000 miles. The weight difference is negligible and totally worth the improved handling and puncture resistance.

It really depends on what type of roads you drive on most often. In my case, I live in the mountains and the 2 lane roads have a lot of tight curves. The E rated tires handled much better than the stock P rated BFG Long Trails. If you go off road and air down for traction, the E rated tires will be a better choice.

That is an excellent price for a Goodyear tire! Make sure you check the date of manufacture on the sidewall as older tires have already begun to degrade.
I agree with BCBrian. I prefer E or D rated tires for rigidity and handling heavier weight loads - when I go hunting my truck is its full weight load limit. Last time I had C load tires was on a 4 banger Isuzu truck, I wouldn't even consider them on my Frontier - again, this is based on my needs with my truck.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Zedbra, funny that you said a 4 banger Isuzu as the last truck I owned was an 89 Isuzu that I got rid of back in 2003 to which I'm sure it rolled on nothing more than p-metric Fire Hawks...

I'm currently running a set of the p-metric Hankook ATM and I honestly don't have anything bad to say about them at all, but can only compare them to the all-season Hankooks that come stock on the SV. Those tires I did not like how unsettled they were over rough bumps... Anyway the C load rated tire has a higher load cap that my current tire but the jump in load rate with the E is huge and I like that. If I can run them pressures that keep them from riding like wagon wheels this may be an even better direction to go... Suppose that's just as good an excuse to pick up on a 12 volt air compressor as any...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
on my gen 1, ive run p-metric and LT tires.
the LT E rated are heavier than the C rated.
I didnt see any difference loaded in the C and E both are high enough for the truck.
the extra weight did seem to be tougher on the suspension components based on when I had make repairs.

On my gen2, Ive had LT for a while but back to P-metrics.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That rating is directly related to the sidewall. The lighter ratings have thinner, lighter sidewalls. The heavier ratings have thicker, heavier sidewalls. If you plan on offroading around rocks, get the heavier sidewall. Lighter, thinner sidewalls tear more easily on sharp rocks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked with Goodyear and they confirmed that unless carrying extra load that I could/should run the same pressure as called for on the manf sticker; but I'm sure y'all knew that... I think that I'll just nab a set of the E rated tires and grin like a bandit if I do...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Checked with Goodyear and they confirmed that unless carrying extra load that I could/should run the same pressure as called for on the manf sticker; but I'm sure y'all knew that... I think that I'll just nab a set of the E rated tires and grin like a bandit if I do...
those look like the tires I had on my gen 1 X. I got them at Wallmart. If they are teh same, rotate regularly and expect road noise.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I always try to run the E rated. The max they can air up to is usually 80psi but our sensors blow off at about 40psi. I usually run about 35-37 psi in mine.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always try to run the E rated. The max they can air up to is usually 80psi but our sensors blow off at about 40psi. I usually run about 35-37 psi in mine.
Sensors blow off at 40 psi?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you mean by this? I ran mine at 50psi for long highway drives, sensors ran fine.
I can't and don't believe that the manf does NOT have these rated for at least 120 pounds...

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I feel that unless you haul, tow or offroad Load C is all you need. P metric will probably be ok too. In fact most p metrics have more load capacity than a LT/C.

i am currently on a set of Load Ds. And my winter tires are Ps that I regularly wheel. I do make sure my spare is in good shape, carry a compressor, plug kit and a can of fix a flat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What size did you go with? I'd like to see how they look. For my next shoes thinking about getting duratracs in load range c 265 75 16s.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had Load E BF Goodrich KO AT tires on my Tacoma. Found them far too stiff offroad and too heavy for daily use on a small truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts