Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah so i'm installing a new lower control arm on my 2003 V6 4X4 and the rear connection is really tight on the bushing inner sleeve, the bushing is serrated on the ends which is really digging into the arm and preventing the holes lining up. Is it ok to try to spread it with a bar and bend it wider or do you have a better suggestion? Maybe some kind of drift pin? I spent most of the day on it and am going to take another crack at it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I tapped mine in with a big rubber mallet. Bolt torque is 100 ft/lbs and it should be done with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a 2nd gen and I just did my lowers about 2 months ago. Mine were snug, just had to wiggle them in.

2nd gen and 1st gen have totally different LCA (and all suspension and steering is totally different for that matter).

1st gen uses a torsion bar that's connected to the lower control arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know about the torsion bar. It has nothing to do with what asked.

The design between the two are way different. The torsion bar goes into the LCA on the 1st gen. Then you have bushings on either side of the mounting point.

Totally different than a 2nd gen.

·
Registered
352 Posts
And yes, he is asking about the rearward connection on his LCA, which has the bushings and serrated sleeve and the connection to the torsion bar.

To the OP, I would use a big hammer and a piece of wood. Smack it hard with the big hammer but place the 2x4 on the LCA that you are smacking.

The 2x4 is used to prevent damage from the hammer.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The design between the two are way different. The torsion bar goes into the LCA on the 1st gen. Then you have bushings on either side of the mounting point.

Totally different than a 2nd gen.

Still had nothing to do with what he asked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I persevered and got it in thar. I pryed the wings out a touch with a crowbar which didn't really help but I got a nice 10 in. long drift punch about half a mm smaller than the bolt and she went. But the other end was still misaligned enough that the shoulder of the torsion bolt would catch and no way to pry to align it with the bolt in the hole so I carefully filed the shoulder of the bolt down enough that it was able to slip through with lots of grease and a large hammer to assist. What an ordeal, glad to see the back of it for sure. Thanks for the tips!

Now I have to reindex the torsion bar as it's a little low on that side now but that's easy enough to do, it just has to stop raining and i'll get my motivation back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts