Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bit of advice or a nudge in the right direction with my trailer light harness wiring.

Essentially I'm getting only getting about 8-9 volts at each of the source wires into the converter. It "works" for the turn signals and brake lights, but when I switch on the running lights in the truck, the marker lights on the trailer (14) are pushing it too far and I'm only getting 1.2V at the marker light with the truck running.

Should I try a powered converter like this one to bring 12V back to the trailer converter directly from the battery?
Hopkins 46365 Short Proof Power Converter: Amazon.ca: Automotive

The truck battery itself is also pretty old and has required a boost more often than not lately due to reduced driving. I'm wondering if that might be factoring in as well? It was reading 12.6V after I trickle charged it for a few hours.

If I have to run the 12V wire for the converter to the battery should I be adding anything else? namely brake light wiring or move to a 7 pin harness setup?

I'm sure lots of you guys have done this dance before? Any tips, advice or things you wish'ed you'd done? I want to get it working 100% so I can just hook up to any trailer and know it's going to work and the lights will be bright enough.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would start with your battery. I would not say that I know what I am talking about as my truck came woth a 7 pin and I never messed with it. They only reason I am leaning towards the battery is that you said it was old and need a boost from time to time. Get it tested. If it is good fine, but start there.

Then, you may want to follow each wire and test for voltage at the beginning and endding of each wire to see if you have any kind of bad connections. Don't forget to test from one side of the converter to the other side

1 - 2 of 2 Posts