Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how many gallons of fuel are in the tank once the low fuel light comes on? The owners manual said:

“Low fuel warning light
This light comes on when the fuel level in the fuel tank is getting low. Refuel as soon as it is convenient, preferably before the fuel gauge reaches E (Empty). There will be a small reserve of fuel in the tank when the fuel gauge needle reaches E (Empty).”

My guess is 2-3 gallons looking at my fuel gauge and it is at about 1/8 when it came on.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Anywhere between 1 and 5 gal. You'll need to do your own testing

My fronty is 4, xterra 2

Reactions: bas1563

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i went 20-25 miles after the light (highway)..... the needle was i think the lowest it could get.... didn't want to run out

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Coincident with the illumination of the low fuel light, the countdown in miles commences. After many trial and errors, I have figured out that the initial countdown miles can be doubled to get an accurate reading on true miles left.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I can fill about 18 gallons when the light comes on. The most gas I have ever put in my tank was 21.5, and I did not run out of gas.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
That is strange when the tank is only 21.125 gallons.
Humm, I could be wrong. I only did this once, but recall that it was in the 20s. 20.5? I80 from Utah to Ca. Missed a stop. Going 80 mph eats up fuel fast. Filled at the next stop. Had a 5 gallon can in the back so I wasn't too worried. Was surprised I got into the 20s

·
Super Moderator
11,601 Posts
The tank hold 21- 1/8 gallons so the average needed to fill is 18-19 gallons.
Clint

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses I think I’ll wait till I get closer to home before I buy gas around here it’s a little more expensive. I just wanted to be sure I could get close to home.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
This thread raises a question: Do newer model year Frontiers have a bigger gas tank. My '06 has a 20 gal tank. But now I read about a 21-1/8 gal tank. Is there a difference?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I've never had such light come on, not sure I have that. I've got 2004 and 1998 Frontiers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This thread raises a question: Do newer model year Frontiers have a bigger gas tank. My '06 has a 20 gal tank. But now I read about a 21-1/8 gal tank. Is there a difference?
I believe they do, my 2016 CC Pro 4x has a 21 1/8 gallon tank, and I have been trying to run it down low enough to see if the DTE and low fuel light are close in alignment.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I'll try to check if I have such info in my owner's manuals.

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Tank holds 21.1 gallons. When I've filled ASAP after low-fuel light comes on, I've averaged about 17 gallons to fill...leaving a 4 gallon safety reserve. Depending on one's avg MPG, I feel safe traveling another 50-60 miles if needed w/ my overall 17.5 avg MPG.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tank holds 21.1 gallons. When I've filled ASAP after low-fuel light comes on, I've averaged about 17 gallons to fill...leaving a 4 gallon safety reserve. Depending on one's avg MPG, I feel safe traveling another 50-60 miles if needed w/ my overall 17.5 avg MPG.

So after the light came on I noted my mileage at 39,041 and filled up at 39,055 for a total 14 miles driven past when the light came on. I took 17.8 gallons to fill it up with a 21.1 gallon tank leaving me with 3.3 gallons fuel remaining before I filled up. I average 17-18 miles per gallon so I could have gone roughly another 50-60 miles before I ran out of gas. It looks like I would have been able to drive maybe 64-74 miles once the light comes on.

You and I seem to be pretty close to the same calculations, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
24 Posts
just run it until it dies and you'll get exact figures rather than estimates

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just run it until it dies and you'll get exact figures rather than estimates
Now that’s an idea I’ll try it if you promise to bring me gas when I run out. ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
thats why they invented jerry cans

·
Registered
66 Posts
My numbers are the same as others. ~17.x is when light is on and on “E.” At least 3 maybe 4 gal remains. It seems overly cautious to me but whatever.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts