Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never heard of this before. I just bought this truck and the guy told me that he had just had the A/C recharged because it caused the check engine light to come on. the ports on the system are cleaned up so I believe him. however the A/C didn't work and shortly after I bought it the light came back on indicating to me that the system has a leak. also, I couldn't hear any change in engine load at idle when I flipped the I don't have a code reader but I am considering getting one now.

Here are my questions:
1) how do you diagnose a leak in the A/C system?
2) where is the most likely/common spot for the leak to be?
3) tell me about code readers, what's the best brand, type to buy? what's the cheapest (recession).

Fin

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have never heard of this before. I just bought this truck and the guy told me that he had just had the A/C recharged because it caused the check engine light to come on. the ports on the system are cleaned up so I believe him. however the A/C didn't work and shortly after I bought it the light came back on indicating to me that the system has a leak. also, I couldn't hear any change in engine load at idle when I flipped the I don't have a code reader but I am considering getting one now.

Here are my questions:
1) how do you diagnose a leak in the A/C system?
2) where is the most likely/common spot for the leak to be?
3) tell me about code readers, what's the best brand, type to buy? what's the cheapest (recession).

Fin
1) Not cooling, clutch cycles too fast (on/off) if it ever engages at all.
2)Old system - evaporator from corrosion. New system - any joint, stone damage to condenser. Other ages, high pressure hose assembly or Schrader valves from tinkering with it.
3) Don't know, don't have one. I use the dealer. Costs more short term, but cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
755 Posts
you need a r-134a leak detector. basically you need to take it to a shop.

for a code reader, i like this one Launch OBDBook OBDII Auto Scanner
gives data stream and works on everything obd2. it also gives you code lookup and code descriptions, not just the code number.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
there are leak testers for ac systems that have a gas that glows with a black light. you basically charge the system then turn off the lights in the garage and turn on your black light and see where the glowing gasses are coming from. you can just take it to a shop and they will do all this for you. there are plenty of obd-II scanners in the $60-$80 range which is what a shop or dealer will charge you just to plug in a scanner to your vehicle without doing anything else. this is the one i have Mac Tools Code Reader Scout 700 New OBD II & CAN ET75 - North Olmsted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts