Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my truck for a year, and it always had a slight creak to it, but it's progressed to the point where it's unbearable. I get a lot of undesired head-turning from little bumps in the road.

I have tackled every bushing with silicone lubricant to locate the problem. I have taken off my sway bar body mounts. I have replaced the UCA's (while doing my lift, I thought I heard the uca bushings squeak).

When I have my wheel off and compress the spring via LCA, it sounds like it's coming from the shock(strut?) or the coil, and the sound is coming from both sides. I have only heard one vehicle with the same problem (Pathfinder in a parking lot)

I'm not the richest guy, so ideally Id like to trace the problem before throwing fixes at it and crossing my fingers.

It does silence itself after a bit of rain driving.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You need a bumper sticker that says, "if you see the truck a rockin....." jK

I have this same embarrassing issue.

I run an old 2.5 Radflo for a TS. With the same sounds and symptoms. There's so much white lithium grease smeared across every bolt , it starting to look like bird poop. The sound reverberates across the front cross member doesn't it?

For me the sound comes from the piston shaft of the shock, while entering the shock body.

Its hard to do on an OEM shock, because of the dust boot but spray some lube right on it, and see if that helps.

Sent from my HTC EVO with AutoCrash mobile app.

·
Rogue Admin
12,882 Posts
My dealer said it was the running boards with my stock suspension - charged me $90 to do nothing. Added a lift and I get a lot more squeaks. A lot. More.

Moral of the story - lifted truck will not sound like a car, or lowered car. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
My dealer said it was the running boards with my stock suspension - charged me $90 to do nothing. Added a lift and I get a lot more squeaks. A lot. More.

Moral of the story - lifted truck will not sound like a car, or lowered car. C'est la vie.

Lift doesn't equate to squeaks. It might be tough to pinpoint the problem but it can be mitigated. I've had t-swap and Sways in the front for 15 months with no clunks or squeaks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

redsox, Yep, it's definitely almost too cliche of a bedframe sound, haha. I'll try to reach in the dustboot, spray 'er down, and see if I can pinpoint that.

Zedbra, that blows. I couldn't imagine spending money like that for nothing.

SD_Frontier, You're right, though noise may come from suspension modifications, it does not equate it. My squeak has existed since it has been stock.

While I'm at it, and assuming it's an area of the shock, there's no reason for a coil itself to make a sound like that, is there?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good point shizzy

I did it as a diagnostic tool to eliminate the variables in an IFS. Though the rads could be rebuilt, I ended up ordering SAWs.

Sent from my HTC EVO with AutoCrash mobile app.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the exact same problem and sounds identical..

I replaced my front struts and the squeaking is still there... I've been doing some toubleshooting and may have narrowed it down to my ball joints on my lower control arm.

Did you end up finding a solution?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm somewhat excited to know that there's somebody else with the exact same tune being sung. I haven't made any progress yet, but I I'll spray my lca ball joints and see.

Thanks for crossing the struts off of my list, sorry to hear that you did yours already. I guess it's my turn to try replacing something

Not uca's
Not struts
Lca's up next..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm actually happy I can collaborate with someone with the same issue now..

I did spray the LCA connecting ends and also the ball joint.. but nothing changed. However, I didn't take the boot/cover to spray inside to get the ball joint just around it.

I'll be looking at my truck again this weekend to hopefully narrow something down. I'm not sure if the ball joints have a grease point or not.. but I'll find out this weekend.

I did drive to work today in wet conditions and the creaking did tame down a little..

Keep me posted man.. Hopefully we can nip this issue quickly...

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
Reread post #8. When I had a (different) front end suspension noise on a more stockish suspension, simply spraying everything with lube did nothing. But when I took the time to loosen or remove, clean, lube, and then retorque all the moving parts, it solved my noise issue and it never came back.

The type of lubricant matters too. Most lubricants will attract dust and your noise will come back (or be worse) after a short amount of driving. I use silicone because it doesn't attract dust.

The noise in the vid sounds similar to my stock rear shocks before I replaced them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
TOTALLY different vehicle but my wifes A4 was creaking around corners and over bumps, replaced the tie-rod ends and it was gone, worth checking out. Lucky in my case it was easy to diagnose because the boot was all torn up. Good luck.

Edit: This is also a part that you could upgrade when replacing ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So juicebox.. You had your front shocks replaced right? I just had some fellas help me determine the source of the noise and it was almost definitely the lower shock mount bushings. Sprayed with what little silicone lube I had left, and it quieted it down. Confirmed with a hose until it was silent.

When I did my spacer lift, I remember them being spread out at the top, but thought nothing of it. It could be a different issue, but if you've had an identical sound, is it somehow possible that the old bushings remained? It would seem crazy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually happy I can collaborate with someone with the same issue now..

I did spray the LCA connecting ends and also the ball joint.. but nothing changed. However, I didn't take the boot/cover to spray inside to get the ball joint just around it.

I'll be looking at my truck again this weekend to hopefully narrow something down. I'm not sure if the ball joints have a grease point or not.. but I'll find out this weekend.

I did drive to work today in wet conditions and the creaking did tame down a little..

Keep me posted man.. Hopefully we can nip this issue quickly...
Were you ever able to chase down the source of the noise? I have the exact same noise on my 2007 CC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts