Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys. Anyone else get a weird loud air leak sound coming from behind the dash in the glovebox area anytime you turn on heater or AC fan? Maybe it's normal but the sound is annoying.

Truck is a 2016 SV

Edit: Here's a video I recorded of the sound. It's coming from the lower right corner behind the glove box. It isn't the filter flap. I checked it and it's good. Better description of the sound would be it sounds like a vacuum.

https://youtu.be/WQ6605YDmxo

·
Registered
248 Posts
I believe that's where the cabin air filter is located- you may want to check to ensure that everything in there is still buttoned up properly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Does changing which vent is active affect the sound? I have loud hissing noise depending on which vents I have the air blowing out of and if the recirculation button is pressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I believe that's where the cabin air filter is located- you may want to check to ensure that everything in there is still buttoned up properly.
That's what I was thinking also. Thanks I'll have to take a look.

Does changing which vent is active affect the sound? I have loud hissing noise depending on which vents I have the air blowing out of and if the recirculation button is pressed.
Nope. I thought that may effect it also but I switched them around and same thing. I'm assuming the cabin air filter has a little door or something to hold the filter in place? Maybe it's loose and not sealed up right. It's definitely coming from behind the glove box.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
The door for the cabin filters is directly behind the glove box, so it may be a good place to start checking. Sometimes the plastic tab that holds the door to the case breaks off. Filters are supposed to be changed every 15,000 miles (I usually do mine every 30,000, but, I do mostly highway driving).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The door for the cabin filters is directly behind the glove box, so it may be a good place to start checking. Sometimes the plastic tab that holds the door to the case breaks off. Filters are supposed to be changed every 15,000 miles (I usually do mine every 30,000, but, I do mostly highway driving).
Thanks. Will do. My truck is brand new. Only 200 miles on her. Surprised that it could be loose. But then again I found a piece of plastic trim that was popped out and I had to push it back in. Lol

·
Registered
668 Posts

I did mine the first time at 101,000...it was nasty and I did break the tab. I just taped it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
To my knowledge, all of the actuators are electric. There's three of them and are all a pain to replace! :/

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I did mine the first time at 101,000...it was nasty and I did break the tab. I just taped it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can fix this by using a 6Mx1.0 bolt and 6MM fender nut, which you can pick up at your local Lowe's or Home Depot in the hardware section. It was originally designed for this type of fastener, but Nissan never employed it, relying solely on the plastic clip. You'll see the hole in the door where you can install the bolt through and the bracket on the case where you can install the clip. Parts are less than $2.

Attachments

Reactions: jwp1964

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,147 Posts
You can fix this by using a 6Mx1.0 bolt and 6MM fender nut, which you can pick up at your local Lowe's or Home Depot in the hardware section. It was originally designed for this type of fastener, but Nissan never employed it, relying solely on the plastic clip. You'll see the hole in the door where you can install the bolt through and the bracket on the case where you can install the clip. Parts are less than $2.
Awesome - I'm doing this thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.