Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 6 speed SE, so I have the M226 rear end. I was washing my truck today, and found oil/grease all over the inside of the driver side rear wheel.

My question is, is this something I can change out myself? I'm pretty technically inclined. Also, does the rear diff have to be touched to get to the seal? Or can I pull the axle out of the diff from the wheel side?

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can just pull out that axle, I had to replace the whole axle, as the seal had turned a groove into my axle, I had the seal replaced first but it still leaked. YMMV

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
there is a seal in the axle tube and then there are the seals and bearings on the axle

From what I can work out if its grease on the outside then its the outer seals gone but if you have diff oil everywhere then it could be the axle tube seals. If you look on the axles in the pic above you will see the shiny ring on the axle shaft itself and thats where the axle tube seal runs

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. Aussie, thanks for the picture, but...are those the axles from your Navara? Our ABS sensor wheels are behind the brake rotors. On those axles, it shows them on the axle side of the bearing?

P.S. Parts come in today.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume, since this is from June, that you've changed out the seal by now? How much of a PITA was that? Did you end up changing the inner or outer seal? Thanks a lot!
There's only one seal. Total parts were: (1) seal, (1) bearing, (1) bearing spacer, and (1) snap-ring.

It wasn't too bad, but you need the right tools. You'll need a slide hammer to remove the axle assembly, a drill to remove the spacer, a torch or puller to remove the old bearing, and a press to put everything back together. I also used an induction bearing heater to get the new bearing on. Not a job for the typical weekend warrior. I had to take my mom's car with my axle stuff into my dad's work where they have the right tools.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah I'll definitely have to do the same because I don't have a torch or press at my house. Did you just buy the parts from the dealer or what? You couldn't reuse that snap-ring or you just wanted to replace it since you were in there? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have heard of people using electric skillets to heat the bearings but I am unsure how well that works. Maybe just a torch on the bottom of a cast iron skillet.

There are always DIY ways to do thing but they require a little more thought and a bit more time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah all I know is that it says in the Service Manual (not that word is God's word) not to heat the axle when removing the old bearing nor heat the new bearing when installing it. But I don't know how the hell else to do it.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah all I know is that it says in the Service Manual (not that word is God's word) not to heat the axle when removing the old bearing nor heat the new bearing when installing it. But I don't know how the hell else to do it.
Does it really? They are just saying that so you don't end up warping the axle shaft. With the bearing heater, the new bearing slid on like butter. The bearing spacer however, was a *****. We heated it for about ten minutes and then had to press the hell out of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts