Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently joined the forum but I’m here to look for some advice or knowledge on my future plan.
Im looking if anyone here has ever gone wheeling through the lost coast/ulsa road. I hear a lot of good things on some other forums about hiking but not many on driving through it. I know its possible because there are a few videos on youtube of people driving down to the beach and camping there but they dont show how to approach it or the start of the trail. The view looks awesome and the trail looks really fun. If anyone has any experience from there or really any other similar place in the North/Central west Cali area I’d really appreciate it. I have a lifted frontier with good tires but not much experience so nothing crazy difficult but I’d accept a nice challenging trail.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
I was there a few years ago. It’s actually Usal Road, which is probably why you are having trouble locating the trailhead. It’s off highway 1, north of Rockport.

The “trail” is more of a dirt road. Unless it’s muddy, it’s very stock friendly. We saw a couple minivans and one sedan.

We were able to drive right onto the beach, no airing down needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was there a few years ago. It’s actually Usal Road, which is probably why you are having trouble locating the trailhead. It’s off highway 1, north of Rockport.

The “trail” is more of a dirt road. Unless it’s muddy, it’s very stock friendly. We saw a couple minivans and one sedan.

We were able to drive right onto the beach, no airing down needed.

So its gritty sand? Not the quick sand stuff that buries you instantly?
How long would you say the dirt road is before getting to the beach?
Is it wide enough for two cars so I can drive back the same direction I came in or is It one way only?
And most importantly...
Am I able to camp at the beach and if so, do I need a permit to do so?

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
So its gritty sand? Not the quick sand stuff that buries you instantly?
How long would you say the dirt road is before getting to the beach?
Is it wide enough for two cars so I can drive back the same direction I came in or is It one way only?
And most importantly...
Am I able to camp at the beach and if so, do I need a permit to do so?
Correct, it’s gritty sand. I’d bring a shovel and a way to air down just in case, but we had no problems at all.

It wasn’t far to the beach. A couple hours maybe? This was about 5 years ago though, so I could be way off on my estimate.

The road is wide enough for two cars.

Sorry but I don’t know whether a permit is required for camping. We just went for the day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct, it’s gritty sand. I’d bring a shovel and a way to air down just in case, but we had no problems at all.

It wasn’t far to the beach. A couple hours maybe? This was about 5 years ago though, so I could be way off on my estimate.

The road is wide enough for two cars.

Sorry but I don’t know whether a permit is required for camping. We just went for the day.
Sounds good. Thank you very much anyway. Where are you located btw?
I live in the central valley and I’ve been wanting to get out to places like this but I dont really know anyone else near me that goes wheeling. Do you happen to know any truck clubs in the area?
I love that bumper btw. Where did you get it?

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Sounds good. Thank you very much anyway. Where are you located btw?
I live in the central valley and I’ve been wanting to get out to places like this but I dont really know anyone else near me that goes wheeling. Do you happen to know any truck clubs in the area?
I love that bumper btw. Where did you get it?
I’m actually in the Reno area. My parents live in the Sac foothills and used to rent a vacation house in Mendocino every year.

The bumper was fabricated by a friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts