Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2008 le cc 4wd serviced with transmission fluid change and 4 miles down interstate 84 cooler hose came loose and pumped out all fluid onto front driver wheel. I coasted to stop after about 1/4 mile. dennis dillion nissan who did the work towed back to dealer. They are supposed to call me this morning on whether transmission needs to be replaced or just refilled. They also will have to do front brakes do to fluid. Should i accept old transmission or demand a new one. Stuck 2700 miles from home in florida here in Idaho!

·
Premium Member
12,180 Posts
hmm, are they taking care of the brakes also?? trans fluid doesnt cause your brakes to need changed so i wonder what they are trying to pull.

i would make them fix everything at no cost.

how did you realize there was no more fluid? if they are changing the brakes because of fluid getting spilled they should change the trans for fluid getting drained.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clarify trouble

what happened was they had changed transmission fluid and gave truck back to me. I then drove it approximately 5 miles. While passing a semi I lost all power to wheels and coasted to stop on side of road. they sent tow truck and took it back to dealer and you could see that hose had come loose and sprayed transmission fluid all over driver side wheel and brakes. My main concern is whether transmission was permantly damaged or not. This happened yesterday and they gave me a rental. Waiting for their call.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
New trans all the way. Once you run it dry, there is excess heat and pad material damage.

For the brakes, make sure they do both left and right so that they are equal. Brakes should always be done in this matter but just make sure they don't cheap out on you.

If they start to give you any grief, then I would start to question how they did the fluid change and how the machine works and then work a case on how the tech didn't re-attach the hoses tight enough when done with the service.

·
Registered
378 Posts
what happened was they had changed transmission fluid and gave truck back to me. I then drove it approximately 5 miles. While passing a semi I lost all power to wheels and coasted to stop on side of road. they sent tow truck and took it back to dealer and you could see that hose had come loose and sprayed transmission fluid all over driver side wheel and brakes. My main concern is whether transmission was permantly damaged or not. This happened yesterday and they gave me a rental. Waiting for their call.
Test drive the truck when you get it back. Make sure the engine and trans reach normal operating temp. If it acts any way but normal, demand a new transmission. If it drives OK, ask them to warranty it another 30K miles or so, and have it documented. This way if anything happens, it's on them. Honestly, they should clean off all the oil, and they should put new frt pads on, due to them being oil soaked.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dealer response

Nissan dealer called and stated that they did brakes up front and cleaned undercarrage and engine compartment. Refilled transmission and test drove ok. They then drained fluid again and looked for any sign of metal etc. they did not drop transmission pan yet because the are unable to get gasket until Monday. Told them I would wait to Monday so they could visually check transmission. Will update Monday after I get truck and test drive - My 2700 mile drive back to Florida will just have to wait a few extra days.

·
Registered
237 Posts
wow that totally sucks....

just make sure to keep all your documents....if everything is ok now who's to say your tranny doesn't crap out in the near future.

Try to get the service manager to work out some sort of warranty for a new tranny example, if tranny malfuntions in next 15k miles they will reimburse you for full cost of new tranny at your local nissan dealer.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I would get a 100k mile warranty out of them for the powertrain. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster down the road should there be any failure...

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you ran it out of fluid until it quit pulling, you did ireversable damage to the transmission. You shouldn't exept anything other than what you had before their screw up. I would demand a new one PERIOD. Your transmission will fail prematurely whether its in 5k miles or 150k from now

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
truck returned

I got truck back monday afternoon and drove approximately 60 miles. Seems ok. dealer stated that they did a complete inspection of transmission and found no damage. They replaced front brake pads and did a good job of cleaning engine and undercarrage where fluid leaked. I have 100,000 extended warranty with no deductible that I bought when I started reading about timing chain issues. Tomorrow I will start back to Florida stopping in Yellowstone Park and then Chicago. Trip is approximately 3000 miles. I will be worried all the way!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'd guess no real damage in that short period - but you'll find out tomorrow and next day - you'll be climbing mtns and driving through areas of 90-100* but at least after you cross the Big Horns in WY it's all down hill to Florida (maybe couple bumps in landscape).

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
halfway home

So far so good - made it through Yellowstone Park and Big Horn Mtns and am in Chicago. Truck acting ok so far. I am staying here for a few days then off to Florida. Thanks everyone for your help !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts