Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All...
I’m a new Frontier owner. Its an 02 (purchased used but new to me ) crew cab s/c. First off, Id like to say, I love my truck! When I purchased it, it had lots of power. When I stomped the gas, it would go. Slowly the performance would get less and less. Now it has normal power when I first start it, but after a few min, back to the same lack of power. If I pull over and turn the truck off, then restart it, I have power again but after a few min, back to the same. Seems like I am resetting the computer or something when I restart it. Anyway, I’m leaning towards a clogged cat. I havent had a chance to get under it to rattle the cat to see if its busted or to test it with a back pressure tester. Any ideas? Do these trucks (2002's ) have a history of this kind of problem?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
-Seth

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
x2 on premium if you are not already using it. also could just need a tune up depending on mileage. that is kind of a weird problem tho, i've never heard of it on frontiers

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Irongrave said:
Honestly is sounds like your running low grade gas, Superchargers need premium fuel that might be your problem.
True. A bad mass air flow meter would also act the way.

HKYStormFront said:
. that is kind of a weird problem tho, i've never heard of it on frontiers
No not weird.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Could it be the infamous boost loss because of the knock sensor?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its deff not low grade gas. I only use high high octaine. Wouldnt the Knock sensor throw code? No check engine light yet...

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
swrye said:
Its deff not low grade gas. I only use high high octaine. Wouldnt the Knock sensor throw code? No check engine light yet...
depends on if the knock sensor is completly bad or not, i know in atleast the 82-92 camaro 350's that if the knock sensor is still "good" according to the computer it doesnt nessarly mean that its "good" mechanically speaking sometimes the sensors go bad w/o the computer reallizing it. :thatswck:

i dont remeber how to test the knocksensor (havent had to in a LONG time) so cant help you there, But i would bet that your in need of a tune up.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
swrye said:
It will give a code but no light.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. Ill run the codes anyway and see what comes up.
-Seth

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Irongrave said:
Honestly is sounds like your running low grade gas, Superchargers need premium fuel that might be your problem.
i thought engines knock like girl scouts on your front door after a long day of no sales when you used low grade gas instead of premium....

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
beefy242 said:
i thought engines knock like girl scouts on your front door after a long day of no sales when you used low grade gas instead of premium....
thats what the knock sensor is for, it retards the timing so you dong get the "pinging" or the knock as some call it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Knock Sensor

I complained of a lack of power in my 2003 Supercharged Frontier a year ago. I bought the truck brand new and I only use premium fuel. My mechanic told me everything was fine. I started tracking my fuel mileage again and it sucked! Went from 15mpg to 12.5mpg! I couldn't pass anyone on the highway, the engine wasn't shifting right, etc... I pleaded one more time this past week and he put it on the computer and the knock sensor code came up. He cleared it and it ran like a dream but it still needed to be replaced (it kept coding right after clearing each time) so here I am, $700 later (mostly labor) but my truck is fun to drive again. He researched it and it sounds like this is a big problem out there. On the supercharged engine, it DOES affect the engine performance and the mpgs! The check engine light does not come on but it slowly goes
bad and adjusts your engine as if you did use lowgrade gas.

:thatswck:

LV2DG
2003 Nissan Froniter SuperCharged V6 (Molten Lava)
2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 5-Speed (Alpine Green)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry its been a while. So I pulled the codes and sure enough the knock sensor is bad. After reading a bunch and researching, seems that this is going to be a bear to swap out. I did come across a thread mentioning the relocation of the knock sensor? So with that, a couple of questions. First, is there a pre threaded bolt hole on the block that is easier to get to that I can relocate the ks to? Second, I was thinking of possibly getting a salvaged wire harness and snipping the wires to the old ks and just leaving the old one attached to the block. Then moving the ks to its new location and splicing the new harness in. Does this sound right? Seems like it would work but I really don't want to do anything without consulting the pro's.
Thanks for all your help.

P.S. After my parents took a ride in my frontier, they went out and bought a 07 frontier. A few weeks later my bro bought a 06 titan. All the same color (silver). Family get together's are color (and brand) coordinated!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Try setting your timing w/the code set. I wouldn't relocate the sensor. There's a thread around here somewhere concerning bypassing the ks. That might be the way to go. You know what pinging/spark knock sounds like, right?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Nissan put the knock sensor in that position for a reason. They put it where it's at so it can monitor knock in all cylinders. If you relocate the sensor you run the risk of you computer missing a future problem, which could be a lot more costly. You can change th knock sensor yourself, if you have some basic tools and a lot of patients. The hardest part is the cooling lines on the back of the motor but it's actually easier (in my opinion)on the supercharged models. Just make sure you get some new upper and lower intake gaskets and a new supercharger gasket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The main reason I wanted to relocate it is because, out of everything I have heard about these knock sensors the most common was how sensitive they were and how often they go bad. At 700 - 1000 bucks in parts and mainly labor, I only want to do this once. I have even heard about people placing a small washer between the sensor and the block so its not so sensitive.?.? The non SC folks will likely never notice if their ks was bad but the SC trucks will notice immediately and a bad ks code does not trip the service light. At any rate, I think im going to go with advancing the timing with the bad ks for the time being so I can do some more research. If I do relocate the ks, I will advance the timing so it does knock to test and see if the ks will pick it up and retard the timing and Ill post the results.
-Seth

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No Doubt!!! They really dropped the ball on this one!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts