Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Looking to get some feedback for an upcoming purchase

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Ajlara09 
#1 ·
2014 Desert Runner or 2016 SV, pros and cons?

#3 ·
I have not owned either one but I do know

The dessert runner is a two wheel drive and had an electronic locking rear differential along with upgraded suspension = Bilstein

The SV be it 2-wheel drive or 4wheel drive does not have any of the above items

There may be some items in the interior that are up graded on the Dessert runner as well ? leather seats?

#4 ·
Miles on each?
Is SV 4x4 or 4x2?
DR - better/more adjustable driver's seat, Bilstein shocks, taller OEM/AT tires, cosmetic differences in & out
~ cons: no Utilitrack
SV WITH or WITHOUT Value Truck Package/VTP?

Sorry, but no locking rear diff in a '14 DR.

#9 ·
+1 SV VTP, if you don't specifically want/need 4x4, it sounds like you're looking for a daily driver. I picked the SV VTP because my truck is also mainly a daily driver; the utilitrack, spray-in bedliner, backup camera, backup radar, bluetooth handsfree are actual useful things I use every time I drive... unlike the locking diff (mostly only for off-road), adjustable front seat (set once, forget it after), and white face gauges (doesn't make the gauges any better). Trip computer is nice for some, I wouldn't know because my SV VTP didn't come with it and I don't lose sleep over it LOL

#6 ·
The SV's VTP is a functional bunch of goodness, imo.
~ The backup camera and sonar are useful in parking lots. When I'm backing up and the sonar signal goes off all of a sudden and THEN a pedestrian walks into the camera's view...well, I'm grateful for the combined technology.
~ If you plan to tow, you are set up nicely with the hitch/camera combo.
~ Utilitrack and spray-in bedliner can be useful for hauling.

DR envy:
~ the more adjustable driver's seat
~ The added Trip Computer would be fun.
~ Some prefer the white faced gauges, some do not.

There is a lot more to this comparo, you'll need to make your own choice via your own needs & preferences.

https://ppg.nissanproduct.info/public.php?make=1

^^^ plug in year & model for a detailed look.

#7 ·
Either one sounds nice. I do like the value truck package. It was on my list of of must haves when i bought mine. Its not available on the DR as far as I know. The utili-track system is just great for securing pretty much anything, and I also have the sliding toolbox that mounts in the side tracks. I do however like the styling on the DR as far as rims and seats, but thats more an aesthetic issue. In the end, its just gonna come down to your needs/preferences. Both seem to be a good deal.

#8 ·
Good point, firemanspock. While some of the VTP can be added whether Nissan/OEM or aftermarket, the Utilitrack side rails cannot be added very easily at all.

Also agree, that the VTP was what tipped me towards an SV.........I then found out the VTP items came standard w/ the 6-sp manual. Verifying this took WAY too long. Nissanproduct.info was the source for this verification.

#20 ·
These two your only options and where are you located at? Crew cab or King Cab?

I see a local dealer here in FL has a few: a 2017 DR KC for $17,076 and two 2017 SL's from $26-27K. Probably tag on dealer fees and ttl but I'd usually negotiate from there or go through a car buying service (like USAA or a Credit Union with no haggle pricing for members).

A bunch of SV's from $17-19K too......not sure if any are VTP's.

Good luck in your search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.