Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I don't have a Frontier yet. I'm looking into buying a crew cab of sorts and am leaning towards a Frontier very much. Seems to have a good track record for longevity. So, the reason I joined is with the hopes of becoming a Frontier owner. I was hoping I could get some pointers. Things to look for in buying a used rig. My goal is to stay under $10k, pay cash, preferred under 150k miles, and get an automatic. I'm seeing a few out there around $7500 with 160k miles. Can you help point some things out, like:
What are common failures?
4.0 or 3.3?
Which ones in what years have timing chains compared to belts?
What should be done by 125k miles or so?
Perhaps this should be a thread question? Go ahead an either reply or PM me. Thanks in advance.

*NOTE* I am now scanning the 'common problems' sticky, but hoping someone can narrow down a particular year and model that seemingly is better rig. I'm not naive, I know that's asking a lot, but I come to those who have experienced perhaps the 'murphy's law' or 'hindsight' bug. You know, the experts ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Used truck prices were so crazy, I just purchased new...it didn't help that I was under a time constraint for PCS'ing and pack out to a new duty station.

If you have time to look and travel, it will make things much easier...

I lucked out on a fully loaded '06 Santa Fe 3.5L AWD Limited for my wife when we were shopping ~21 months ago for her POV!

It only had 48k miles and was very clean and rust free underneath for an upstate vehicle (which was the reason we bought it)...

Take your time if you can (sorry I wasn't much help, I've only owned my Frontier since 2 Dec)::grin::

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not an expert as my only Frontier is my current one purchased new in 2013. but from all the reading I've done on the forum:

3.3L is a first generation Frontier, 2004 or earlier.

4.0L is second gen, 2005 to present. I think all 4L have chains but have read about problems with chains in older ones. Also read the stickies on the radiator/transmission cross contamination issue.

From everything I've read, I think 2010 model or newer will avoid all the issues.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Since you want an auto trans, look for a 2011 or newer to avoid the cross contamination issue found in earlier models. The 4.0 is an excellent engine that can provide extended service if maintained correctly. Read the threads on common issue's with Frontier on this site by using the search feature above.

Make sure to ask for service records and review them. Buy a 1 owner vehicle. Check CarFax for records. Avoid buying one from a state that salt's roads in winter. Take the vehicle to a reputable mechanic and pay for a thorough inspection. When buying a vehicle with high mileage, chg ALL the fluids to establish a starting point for your service records (if you are provided recent receipts for a major service, adjust which items you service).

The 2nd Gen Frontier, 2005 - current, is a great vehicle for the $$$ so if you can find the right truck, it will provide you with excellent service for years.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of what you mentioned I plan to do and have done in the past. Good pointers though. A lot of people don't think that stuff through. That cross contamination thing sounds super sketch. I wonder if they ever did a recall. I'll look into it, because 2011 sounds like it's a bit out of my price range. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts