Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I've been an Admin and previously a moderator at TheNissanPath.com and we've been covering the issue for years. And in addition to being a long-time mod at NissanForums and a member here and at NissanHelp, I haven't heard of a single cooler failure of an aftermarket radiator nor Nissan "Value Line" replacement radiator. Now, some of the early 21460-9CA2E replacement radiators that Nissan installed under warranty did have cooler failures, as well. The CSF all-aluminum radiators had a lot of issues with cracking, from what I understand, but they were not cooler-related failures.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
You can use any ATF that is JASO 1A spec and is recommended by the transmission fluid manufacturer for Nissan Type "J" or "S" applications. Personally, I highly recommend Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF. I've been using this for years in my two, R51 Pathfinder's RE5R05A transmissions and it works great. Also, at $17/gallon jug at Walmart, it's one of the least expensive options, as well.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Here is another post saying theirs is honey color as well; Jmatic vs. Smatic - Nissanhelp.com Forums
NissanMatic Type "J" and "S" ATF tend to leak light pink or clear on the dipstick and can be difficult to see. When it drains out of the pan, it looks almost brown in color, almost burnt looking. I've been using Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF and after the second drain and fill, the color will look more of the traditional cherry red color associated with automatic trans fluid.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I run a CSF radiator and just recently heard the problems.
Checking out Ron Davis .
Also trying to find OEM parking brake parts online for s Titan.
There are not many parts to it.
If I can find them and not to crazy expensive,I will purchase thrn?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been an Admin and previously a moderator at TheNissanPath.com and we've been covering the issue for years. And in addition to being a long-time mod at NissanForums and a member here and at NissanHelp, I haven't heard of a single cooler failure of an aftermarket radiator nor Nissan "Value Line" replacement radiator. Now, some of the early 21460-9CA2E replacement radiators that Nissan installed under warranty did have cooler failures, as well. The CSF all-aluminum radiators had a lot of issues with cracking, from what I understand, but they were not cooler-related failures.
Good info thanks - my truck is an 07 (second owner) with 124K, first owner had the the failure and a new tranny and radiator installed for $5000 @ 112k miles.
I have it bypassed because I just don't want to (can't) take a chance on it happening again since it's only worth about $8K (CC Nismo 2WD). I don't tow anything and I live in the Houston area, no cold temps.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
stal023 & bagwell my statement on bypassing is my thought and do not want anyone trusting solely on my thoughts. It’s been over two years since I done my first bypass and can’t say definitely that it is completely legit but have found no info to suggest otherwise. I trust smj999 completely on everything he says and when I need help on something.. I go straight to him for advice. If you ever need secure advice.. he’s the man.
Everything I learned about these trucks I learned on here from the good folks on CF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for some advice. About to buy this used bad boy and it has a few things to be replaced; valve cover has some leaking going on, will tighten bolts first but if that doesn't work, how difficult of a DIY project is this? Shop said they would charge $280, seems crazy with a $10 part! Any helpful youtube vids would be greatly appreciated.

I know this truck is known for the strawberry milkshake. Transmission fluid is bright red but I want to take care of it before it has a very expensive issue. What is the easiest fix for this known issue?

It needs the driver side window motor replaced which doesn't seem like a big deal. Anyone out there think otherwise?

Only other known issue is the TPMS light is on.

Thanks everyone.
Hey the valve cover gasket on the driver side of Vq40 is straight forward about 1 hour
careful not to over tighten the bolts. The passenger side is different story Have to remove intake manifold to get at it 2-3 hrs. if you replace the radiator with good aftermarket problem solved or you can bypass the radiator direct to the trans cooler. I ran my 07 to 140K with bypass on radiator replaced with new One now on 185 K. i haven’t done a window motor yet my passenger side is moving really slow so that might be in my future.
good luck.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts