Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently sitting on the factory bfg's 265/75r16 but i want something new. Im at about 65% tread so theyre still decent but i want something a little more beefy. I have a 2" lift spacer and wheel spacer and im currently rubbing the front splash guards,not too bad,just when i turn about 3/4 of the way,in any direction, but just for a quick second. Turned all the way im fine, its just that little bit. Im gonna remove the guards so shouldnt be a problem. Anyway,whats anyone/everyones opinion on biggest tire size and what brand do you guys like. I dont do any mudding,if anything,i do light to moderate off roading and want something that will keep me moving in some rough situations that also dont make too much noise on the road and dont jepordize mpg and axles and what not. Anything helps guys. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
i wouldn't use wheel spacers. if you want it wider then get some wider wheels.

It all depends on if he means spacers or adaptors. I've got Spidertrax 1.5" on my truck. They are hub and lug centric so there is no additional force on the lugs to center the wheels. Never had an issue.

I'm at 2" lift on front 1.5" rear and I've got stock rims and 265 tires. I too rub a bit on turning full bore. Honestly I have no idea how on earth anyone gets a 285 in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
763 Posts
tire pages

new tires are always fun to consider. there is a page on the forum dedicated to tires with pros and cons for several types and sizes. check it out.

changing tread will change the road noise.

changing diameter will change all kinds of things.

you do have a money tree right?
::smile::

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ive run hub centric adapters on other vehicles, if they are machined properly, maintained and checked periodically i see no issue with them.

I too am slowly starting to look for tires. Have about 15k miles on my second set of the stock BFG's the first set only lasted for ~40k.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It all depends on if he means spacers or adaptors. I've got Spidertrax 1.5" on my truck. They are hub and lug centric so there is no additional force on the lugs to center the wheels. Never had an issue.

I'm at 2" lift on front 1.5" rear and I've got stock rims and 265 tires. I too rub a bit on turning full bore. Honestly I have no idea how on earth anyone gets a 285 in there.

I believe i have adapters which are also hub and lug centric made by Bora. Yeah i get a little rub at 3/4 turn but doesnt rub after or before that little point. And i asked about the 285 cuz the alignment guy said i might be able to get away with it so just thought id make sure

new tires are always fun to consider. there is a page on the forum dedicated to tires with pros and cons for several types and sizes. check it out.

changing tread will change the road noise.

changing diameter will change all kinds of things.

you do have a money tree right?
::
Yeah i searched "tires" "new tires" and a few others and i found one page on it. Thanks for the info.

Ive run hub centric adapters on other vehicles, if they are machined properly, maintained and checked periodically i see no issue with them.

I too am slowly starting to look for tires. Have about 15k miles on my second set of the stock BFG's the first set only lasted for ~40k.
Yeah i check them about once or twice a month and retighten if needed. I was looking a few different tires and bfg and hankook were some i looked into. Still undecided

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
The spacers are why you are rubbing. If you did not have the spacers in there the 265/75r16 would fit perfect. The 285 will rub and require some plastic melting the clear. Way more melting if you have wheel spacers.
I would stick to 265s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The spacers are why you are rubbing. If you did not have the spacers in there the 265/75r16 would fit perfect. The 285 will rub and require some plastic melting the clear. Way more melting if you have wheel spacers.
I would stick to 265s.
Yeah right now,with the stock tires,it rubs on the front splash guard which im gonna remove. Either way,ill probably just stay same size. Thanks.

So im gonna stick with same size tires but i still want something meaty and good with dry off roading that can handle the slight chance i were to ever come across some mud....suggestions?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
First question is do you want AT's or MT's.

Next question is how much do you want to spend.

BFG all terrains are an age old classic.
Goodyear duratracs are a up and coming go to.
Toyo Open country AT or MT are popular mid priced
threadwrights are a budget prices alternative
General grabber AT- similar thread and performance as the BFG AT but cheaper

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First question is do you want AT's or MT's.

Next question is how much do you want to spend.

BFG all terrains are an age old classic.
Goodyear duratracs are a up and coming go to.
Toyo Open country AT or MT are popular mid priced
threadwrights are a budget prices alternative
General grabber AT- similar thread and performance as the BFG AT but cheaper
Im thinking AT and as far as price, im thinking spend the extra couple bucks for quality.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just ordered a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3 from Discount. Great reviews by several on here and they have a meaner looking sidewall than most AT tires so it looks better with the lift. Still gives good quiet highway ride though. Hoping they live up to the hype.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just ordered a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3 from Discount. Great reviews by several on here and they have a meaner looking sidewall than most AT tires so it looks better with the lift. Still gives good quiet highway ride though. Hoping they live up to the hype.

For sure. Take some pics when you get them on and let me know what you think of them

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Toyo Open Country is good tire - choose your tread/use - I believe 7 to choose from.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Im thinking AT and as far as price, im thinking spend the extra couple bucks for quality.

Raine's build thread has a real clean fender/liner mod to clear tires.

Any AT tire will give more noise and less mpg than the super-light (and weak) BFG LongTrails that come stock.

The BFG AT KO2 have a following for a reason. They do have smaller voids which means more packing in snow & mud (giving you slicks in mud).

I have been running Goodyear Duratrack for over 10k mi now, and I love them. My biggest beef on-road is sidewall is not as stiff as other tires. That said, I got them for offroad and that soft sidewall really helps with terrain conforming. I was out one day with a Jeep running BFG KO. we both forgot to air down (excited and weren't planning on hard terrain) found a road/trail that had alot of rockwork and some water/mud. He had to fight for every inch he got. Comparatively I walked through it. 2/3 the way up he was ready to winch over this 1 ledge. Then he remembered we didn't air down. Then he was able to make it over. I ran over it at street pressure.

But again. AT tread will have more noise than a highway tire. LT tires are heavier than Passenger(LongTrails are Passenger grade) so net less mileage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Falken Wildpeak AT/3 LT Load E . Just as good as the more expensive tires for much less. Great all terrain and road noise is much less than our previous Terra Grappler G2, my buddy's Open Country's and my Dad's TA KO2's. Can't find anything other than perfect review on retail sites or on forums. Have them on my Frontier and the wife's 4runner. Also come with mileage warranty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm still stuck on the rubbing with OEM size tires thing at the beginning of the thread. I guess the spacers causing them to rub makes sense. I've got the smaller OE size 265/70 and removed my OE flaps and air dam and I can fit a softball between the tire and wheel well. I don't see how 33"s wouldn't fit on my truck, I have TONS of room even at stock height.

Anyways, I am planning on the Falken Wildpeak AT/3 LT when my stock tires wear out, so another vote for them. Don't know if I want to try to fit 33"s or not for me, but we'll see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Raine's build thread has a real clean fender/liner mod to clear tires.

Any AT tire will give more noise and less mpg than the super-light (and weak) BFG LongTrails that come stock.

The BFG AT KO2 have a following for a reason. They do have smaller voids which means more packing in snow & mud (giving you slicks in mud).

I have been running Goodyear Duratrack for over 10k mi now, and I love them. My biggest beef on-road is sidewall is not as stiff as other tires. That said, I got them for offroad and that soft sidewall really helps with terrain conforming. I was out one day with a Jeep running BFG KO. we both forgot to air down (excited and weren't planning on hard terrain) found a road/trail that had alot of rockwork and some water/mud. He had to fight for every inch he got. Comparatively I walked through it. 2/3 the way up he was ready to winch over this 1 ledge. Then he remembered we didn't air down. Then he was able to make it over. I ran over it at street pressure.

But again. AT tread will have more noise than a highway tire. LT tires are heavier than Passenger(LongTrails are Passenger grade) so net less mileage.
Thanks for the link. Do you have any pics of the duratracks?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Falken Wildpeak AT/3 LT Load E . Just as good as the more expensive tires for much less. Great all terrain and road noise is much less than our previous Terra Grappler G2, my buddy's Open Country's and my Dad's TA KO2's. Can't find anything other than perfect review on retail sites or on forums. Have them on my Frontier and the wife's 4runner. Also come with mileage warranty.
For sure. Thanks for the input. Ill look into the wildpeaks.

Yeah for me its the spacers cause the tire to rub on the front splash guard but thats an easy fix. Im starting to lean toward the wildpeaks to, just gonna compare them to the duratracks and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts