Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and reading for the past two weeks every chance I get and still can't seem to pinpoint what exactly I should get. So I am sure I will get some heat for asking this question but here goes. I have a 2010 Pro4x and want to do 3" lift. From what I have read a coilover setup that is adjustable seems to be to way to go. I considered the cheaper spacer lifts, however I had one my my 93 grand cherokee and the ride was very stiff. I do not plan on doing a ton of off roading but would like to have a good setup for the occasional fun. Is doing coilovers a bit overkill since the truck will be 80% paved road? I just am not wanting to sacrifice ride quality. Would love to hear input from other members concerning ride quality on and off road with their current setups and am open to suggestions. The truck came with BFG AT KOs and am considering going to the Firestone Destination AT for the next set. Any input on those tires would be appreciated also

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can't beat a adjustable coilovers and a different arm man. The ride is so much different that just a regular stock arm and shock/coil

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I read that seems to be the overall agreement. I hated the stiff ride on my jeep and I love how my truck rides stock now so this has been driving me crazy on what I need to go with. I don't mind coughing up some cheese to get a quality ride in a lift but also don't want to go overkill on something that I won't use to its full potential or close to its potential

·
Registered
271 Posts
Right we'll see I'm going to do a Titan swap which you won't need because you won't need the benefits of it and you can't do a spindle lift because your 4wd so best bet is that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be eager to see pic after the Titan swap. Slowly gathering some info before I start pulling the trigger on the many mods I have come across

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ha well man check out rugged rocks for control arms. They sell SPC control arms which are the usual the best arms in a decent price range. Of course you can get kings or even go to a fabricator but best bang for your buck is SPC. I attached a link to help to make it easier. Don't be afraid to call Steven at rugged rocks if you have any questions man super nice guy if he don't answer he will call you back just make sure you leave a message.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/?tracking=599632acc6f2a

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome I am going to start making myself a wish list on my build thread so I can keep track of everything!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Haha I noticed Steven doesn't have coilovers on his website but you may can call him and see about ordering some thru him if you prefer. I think he can get some out to you

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was noticing that as well. I wonder if he would be interested on some IT work to help his site out, I would be willing to help with that lol. But really I was considering calling to see what he could do for a 3' coilover setup and do it all in one shot

·
Registered
271 Posts
There ya go give him a call man. Tell him Forrest from SouthernNissanOffroad sent ya see if that helps anything out haha

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Alot of this is going to based on how much money you want to spend. A 2"ish spacer lift is not going to make your suspension ride stiff. Less than $100. Installs in one night. Truck lifted some. You will start to get some coil bucket contact, but that is just an annoyance.

Sky ($) is the limit from there.

Titan swap with after market arms coil overs and extended axles would be better. I think the cheapest would be $2K for that.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
A good suspension set-up should enhance the the ride, not be a detriment.
You could purchase good quality coilovers.and quality arms. If not set-up properly( spring rate, shock valving, improper bump, droop percentage etc. the ride will be miserable.
3" lift with stock arms will be pushing it.
Even if you use stock "Titan arms" it will be a lot more costly than if you stock Frontier arms.
If you can settle with a 2" lift it will save you quite a bit( no need to purchase extended axles, brake lines, extended tie rods.etc.
Check out glamisdude's article on Titan swap.
I think his design using his " top hat" and Bilstein shocks gets you the best bank for the buck.
PRG,Nisstec are popular suppliers of suspension parts.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Alot of this is going to based on how much money you want to spend. A 2"ish spacer lift is not going to make your suspension ride stiff. Less than $100. Installs in one night. Truck lifted some. You will start to get some coil bucket contact, but that is just an annoyance.

Sky ($) is the limit from there.

Titan swap with after market arms coil overs and extended axles would be better. I think the cheapest would be $2K for that.
I was offering my suggestions before I saw your post. Seems we agree.
I suggested your top hat and Bilstein set-up if he decides to go Titan swap.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
The spacers for your Jeep are different than spacers for this truck. The ones on the Jeep would have been the in coil type that add preload, making the ride stiffer. Most for this truck are top mount spacers which just make the strut taller, adding lift without a stiffer ride.

If you do want to go Titan Swap, my Bilstein method will be the cheapest route to get all the benefits but, it will still cost more than 5x as much as a spacer lift though.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Grammar

King does not make control arms. Don't even sell them.
On King's personal vehicles,"Wright Fabrication" builds and maintains them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A good suspension set-up should enhance the the ride, not be a detriment.
You could purchase good quality coilovers.and quality arms. If not set-up properly( spring rate, shock valving, improper bump, droop percentage etc. the ride will be miserable.
3" lift with stock arms will be pushing it.
Even if you use stock "Titan arms" it will be a lot more costly than if you stock Frontier arms.
If you can settle with a 2" lift it will save you quite a bit( no need to purchase extended axles, brake lines, extended tie rods.etc.
Check out glamisdude's article on Titan swap.
I think his design using his " top hat" and Bilstein shocks gets you the best bank for the buck.
PRG,Nisstec are popular suppliers of suspension parts.
I agree 100% I want to enhance the ride not go backwards what so ever. Is 3" the threshold of needing to add additional components that you mentioned? I like the stance of Raine's 2014 4x4 "KEIRA" Build. I was actually thinking of the same setup just maybe toning down the coilovers as those seem to be a little overkill for my use of the truck. Is there a noticeable ride difference going from a spacer to a coilover? Just so hard to decide on what to do since I don't want to go overboard and not use the components to their full potential since this is not a dedicated off road vehicle.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I agree 100% I want to enhance the ride not go backwards what so ever. Is 3" the threshold of needing to add additional components that you mentioned? I like the stance of Raine's 2014 4x4 "KEIRA" Build. I was actually thinking of the same setup just maybe toning down the coilovers as those seem to be a little overkill for my use of the truck. Is there a noticeable ride difference going from a spacer to a coilover? Just so hard to decide on what to do since I don't want to go overboard and not use the components to their full potential since this is not a dedicated off road vehicle.
3" is too much for a 4wd and stock components. It will ride terrible no matter how you do it; the most expensive coil over or spacer. There is just not enough room (travel) to ekk out that much lift. Our trucks have less than 6" of front end suspension stock. In stock form you have about 3.5" of drop travel and 2.5" of up travel. A lift doesn't add travel; it just repositons the at rest location of the suspension. With a 3" lift you essentially have 1/2" and inch of drop and 5.5" of bump.

Add a prg 2" and a small upper control arm bump stop for the potential coil bucket contact and call it a day. I offroad alot and I am running the above mentioned setup. Though this month I will be changing it all up.

If you want something more cause you have the money to spend do this.

SPC upper control arm to increase total suspension travel to about 7". $510
PRG Products

PRG jsut came out with a 2.5" bilstein. I think it is a 6100 shock body. $650
PRG Products

The shock only lift about 1.7" inches. But Greg (owner of PRG) says that with an aftermarket UCA you can add a 1.5" spacer to tune the height to 3". $120
PRG Products

This will increase your travel to slightly more than what raine has in his truck. The Bilstein 6100 is valved well for this application I have read. ~$1300

The biggest bonus with going with this is the fact that you are using all sealed ball joints and factory type pivot bushings and will avoid the creaks and groans of unsealed ball joints found one other arms and coil over mounts.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Using stock arms, I would not go over 2". You are not increasing travel.Over that and you are severely limiting your droop.
The advantage of quality coilovers is that they are tuneable and rebuildable.
Other than that , you are not increasing travel by any significant amount with either.
I would discourage you from using blocks on your rear suspension although a reasonable amount would be ok. Stock Frontier leaf springs are soft. Prone to axle wrap and causes wheel hop.
jmo.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts