Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has been awhile since I've posted. I still have my 03 but just dipping my toe into what I should do next.

I really hate to get rid of 03 with 94000 miles on it. I just drive it back and forth to work short distances. Always been a great truck and still enjoy driving. It's as though I just cannot part with the truck as it was my first truck that I bought just what I wanted with all the bells and whistles (used of course). I've looked at other manufactures but Tacos are too expensive, not sure I would want to purchase GM, and Nissan's Frontier revision is soooo late to the game. I may want to keep the truck around even though I buy another. Anyone have suggestions?

Option 1
I'm looking at a 2011 / 2012 Nissan Frontier SL LB. Any known big issues on these years?

Option 2
Keep the truck and get a car? Would want a used manual not a pile but something in the neighbor of 8k. Sporty but could be driven in the winter with at least four doors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Every time I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle I ask myself, "do I still need a truck?" Which the questions really is "Do I need a vehicle with a bed?" My answer is always yes.

If you find you don't need a vehicle with a bed, I'd probably sell it. And if you looking for something sporty and good for winter I'd look into subarus. The lady as had subarus for awhile, and I'm always surprised how well the 4WD works in snow.

Good luck.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i kept asking myself the same thing for years....and did so while putting around in my
bought-new 1983 Nissan KC 4wd. After 33 yrs i decided i would just find it a good
home (neighbor in need of a beater truck) and i upgraded from a 4 banger to V6.
bought a 2011 SV 4wd and have been thrilled with it for a year. I still have fond
memories of the 83 KC but there is no comparison and I'm glad I moved up, vs
keeping both.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
car/truck purchase is a Very personal choice... Me, I'd pro/con it, thinking on your needs now & 5 yrs from now. Include costs.... monthly payments, maint, insurance, registration, .... all of it. Consider that an old(er) well maintained (& paid off) truck is cheaper than a new hypermile-ing hybrid when you add in all the extra costs... so it comes down to use and bling....

When I got mine, I knew I wanted a bed, and to go into the woods.... I could have bought an suv (jeep/xterra/... ) and a trailer, but that can be a pain.... sometimes i think it'd be nice to have a shorter wheelbase and build up an xterra for overlanding instead of the frontier, but I use the bed too much for that to be practical... too often when I'm out I say 'just throw it in the bed'

and payment free means more $$ for mods or other fun...

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
94K ? ALL of our vehicles have more than that, most more than double that !!!

98 Frontier 213K
2004 Frontier 98K
2005 Yukon 174K
1988 Mazda truck 212K
1971 VW 134K
1970K 260K

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my hobby has been my house remodeling and helping others so having a truck is what I need.

Other than the rear main seal and the front AC support member rusting out the truck is in great shape. However, I just don't have the time to work on it any more. I bought a rear bumper for it and had it painted last year and I have yet to put it on (still sitting in the box). To me it's family, both kids were grew up in the rear seats and lots of memories. Probably half the reason I probably cannot part.

I'll post in the general section but anyone heard of 2012 Frontier Issues?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Situations are different for everyone, but I'm finding myself in a similar conundrum. '99 4x4 with 130k. It suits me just fine as my only vehicle, except on the occasions where I need to carry more than one passenger. Specifically I'm thinking of my parents, who visit a few times a year, and aren't as young as they used to be. I always cringe a little when one of them has to shoehorn into the back (no 4 doors here). I know I need a truck. Towing a boat, homeowner duties, etc. Choices are to keep the truck and buy a late model cheaper sedan (and have 2 vehicles, which I simply don't need or want), sell it and buy a late model 4 door pickup (most likely a Frontier), or just keep it as my only vehicle and perhaps rent a car on the rare occasions when I might need it.

The pull for the second option is especially strong. I haven't driven a late model Frontier, but I did rent a 2016 Rogue this summer and was pretty impressed by the modern amenities. But then I remember the cost. I drive maybe 8k miles per year and my '99 will probably rust before it fails in other ways if I choose to keep driving it.

With only 94k on an '03, you're still good to go with a daily driver IMO. I understand the pull though. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts