Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

I have read some previous posts about and taking into consideration the information from those as well.
I am one of those guys that just want to be sure and do not mind waiting to pull the trigger on making the purchases and mods, So I am looking for some more input. Some of the posts are older so I want to see whats new that may be out there.

Also if you are local to Sacramento, CA and know a great shop that does good work on offroad mods please leave a message. :)

1. To start Does anyone have issues with paint chipping. (See attached pictures.)
  • What is everyone doing to protect/prevent paint?
  • If you have chips do yall get it buffed out and then repaint?
some of my pictures show rust under the chips. I want to prevent the rust from coming back. I can use rust remover all day, but it is open.

2. With a 2.5 inch lift, I read that it is not necessary to add control arms to balance the tires angle of travel. Is it best to get them anyways?

3. I'm going to be new to over landing and will need to add and upgrade my leaf springs. However, Im also an avid fisherman and i tow a boat. New to the car stuff so would like to know how heavy of leaf springs i should use.
I did my research on the hinge points that connect to the truck bed frame and what type of angle they should be sitting at.
(i will not be towing a boat during an overland trip) Would like to find the right balance that allows me to load up the truck to do both.

overall I would like understand the physics behind things so i can make the best choice.

thanks in advance.

Oh one more thing, anyone here travel with a 100lb german shepherd like i do? Experiences?

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
1. To start Does anyone have issues with paint chipping. (See attached pictures.)
  • What is everyone doing to protect/prevent paint?
  • If you have chips do yall get it buffed out and then repaint?
I'd say most of us do. Those are high-impact areas, which is why Nissan tried to mitigate the issue with paint protection film. I fixed all the rock chips using a Dr. Color Chip kit, and put more PPF that pretty much wrapped around the fender all the way up to the fuel filler door. No need to repaint. Since yours are rusty, I'd use a rust converter first, or just sand the spots down to bare metal. Rust is like cancer. I've had no problems since. Others install running boards, rock sliders, or side steps to help with rocks being thrown. It seems to help.

2. With a 2.5 inch lift, I read that it is not necessary to add control arms to balance the tires angle of travel. Is it best to get them anyways?
Yes. With 2.5" of lift, you're likely to get coil bucket contact without aftermarket control arms that can correct the camber. You'll also probably wear out the outside edges of your tires significantly faster, as well as compromise the ride quality since you're effectively trading downtravel for uptravel.

3. I'm going to be new to over landing and will need to add and upgrade my leaf springs. However, Im also an avid fisherman and i tow a boat. New to the car stuff so would like to know how heavy of leaf springs i should use.
I'd suggest either installing airbags, SumoSprings, or aftermarket replacement leaf springs. The Frontier's rear leaf springs are barely adequate for an empty bed, so I'd avoid helper springs or add-a-leafs for that reason. They will just accelerate the leaf springs turning from a U-shape into a "W" shape.

I installed General Springs 69-285HD leaf springs and SumoSprings SSR-610-40. That combo lifted my truck to stock height, per the factory service manual specs lol.

Reactions: bearman1216

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well if you're in Sac.... PRG is located in Auburn not too far!!!

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Good morning everyone,

I have read some previous posts about and taking into consideration the information from those as well.
I am one of those guys that just want to be sure and do not mind waiting to pull the trigger on making the purchases and mods, So I am looking for some more input. Some of the posts are older so I want to see whats new that may be out there.

Also if you are local to Sacramento, CA and know a great shop that does good work on offroad mods please leave a message. :)

I did my research on the hinge points that connect to the truck bed frame and what type of angle they should be sitting at.
(i will not be towing a boat during an overland trip) Would like to find the right balance that allows me to load up the truck to do both.

Overall I would like understand the physics behind things so i can make the best choice.
First off, welcome. Yes, you will get front CBC if you lift 2.5". Aftermarket upper arms and new lower arm eccentric alignment bolts will mitigate the issues. There's a huuuuge thread on here all about everything you want to know on suspensions.

As a matter of physics, no spring is going to be good in every situation. It just can't. As mentioned, the stock Nissan springs are pretty crappy and many folk choose to go with a stiffer replacement. If you don't want a hard, jittery ride, don't go much above stock ratings but add an adjustable system for overloads as needed. I have the Firestone Ride-Rites as do several other folk on here, nothing bad to say about them. I've hauled, towed twin-axle trailers and off-roaded pretty good and you can air those up or down to meet just about any situation. IMHO they are the ideal solution because they're adjustable in just a few moments, just add air. You can't turn a knob on a leaf spring and increase it's spring rate. Would be cool if it indeed were possible, but pneumatics are God's gift to pickup trucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts