Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been in search for a cheap higher mileage 1st gen to use as a weekend dump/homedepot hauler with the occasional drive it to the jobsite use. I've already looked at a 02CC with 125k miles for 6k and a 03 CC with 190k miles for $4k. The 03 had very bad rust, the bed was totally shot, the frame had large chunks and flakes, it looked like it was gone as well. The 02 had surface rust, not large flakes, and some surface rust starting on the underside of the bed. I am now looking at a 04 with 180k miles and this frame has rust as well, but the bed is in good shape. i would say that its condition is in between the 02 and the 03 i previously looked at but the price seems right. see photos below. I can get it for $3k it's a CC with 180k miles. It is dealer owned and the dealer disclosed the rust situation as soon as i called. Carfax shows no flooding history and dealer says it wasn't flooded, interior is dirty but not musty. I am thinking that it could be a good deal as long as there are no holes in the frame. I would buy frame paint from eastwood to do the inside of the frame, and take a wirebrush/por15 to the outside to help prolong the life of the frame. What are your thoughts? BTW the rear bumpers on all 3 of these trucks were rusted out, but i do not see this as an issues since new ones can be had for under $200 on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
11,405 Posts
Have you thought about looking in a southern state where road salt isn't used? Maybe you can find a better example and through many detailed photos and carfax narrow it down and a road trip to get it.
That's how we do it to find classic cars to restore with far less corrosion and other issues.

Clint

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you thought about looking in a southern state where road salt isn't used? Maybe you can find a better example and through many detailed photos and carfax narrow it down and a road trip to get it.
That's how we do it to find classic cars to restore with far less corrosion and other issues.

Clint
i thought about it, but i would never have the time to do it unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
11,405 Posts
You also have even less time to break down or have to pay for repairs. I'd imagine you could find something in the Carolinas or Virginia and do a round trip in a long day. I do so many trips to Florida and back that that's a short trip, lol. Good luck , if I see anything around me I'll send a message.

Clint

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. The way I think of it is if it runs and drives good with no major issues then i'm interested. Everytime I buy a used car I plan to do a timing belt and complete tuneup so I can give myself a good baseline for future maintenance intervals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts