Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Montana,

Looking at buying a used 2005 Nissan Frontier. Previously a die hard chevy owner, but I've already owned a colorado and didn't really like it for various reasons. So I've been debating between the Tacoma and Frontier and I've settled on the frontier. Found one with 90k miles. Anything I should be aware of or look for when test driving it? What should I expect for maintenance and reliability beyond this point? I also plan on doing some decent towing with it. Maybe a boat or rv anywhere from 3000lbs and up, can this truck really pull the 6500lbs its rated for? Any experiences appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Listen for a high pitch whine when you start it up and its idling. If you hear it, the timing chain guides could be bad. I'm creeping up on 100k miles and have had no issues at all with the guides, but some have. Check the clutch engagement and see what type of wear it has on it. Are you sure you want to tow that much w/ a manual? It'll do that much, but an auto would be much easier for heavy towing. I tow my car on a flat trailer w/ no problems.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
I'd rather tow with a manual then an auto. Reverse is a little high for backing, but you'll have low range if ya need it.

Yes, it will tow that much, its not a superduty, but pulls just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've always felt better towing with a manual aswell. But I hear the newer autos do a really good job.

I found out that the truck I am looking at has the ABLS. Does this work as well as a limited slip?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts