Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FOUND: Looking at a couple of Frontier Crew Cab 4x4s

Background...

My DD is a 2010 Camaro and the family car & wife's DD is a 2012 Subaru Outback. Outback will be paid off in a month and my car is paid off. We like both cars and plan to keep both.

The third car in the family is my dad's 1992 Ford Explorer. 4x4, 4 door SUV, 177,000 miles. It mostly sits, but I use it when I need the space to haul stuff, like to go shooting with lots of gear, forest roads, snow days. It is tired. Transmission has been rebuilt twice (when my dad was still around). Lots of things breaking or wearing out regularly. I put a bunch of money into it a few years ago to replace a head gasket and do full tune up. Also had to replace the radiator and do some suspension/front end work. What may be the "last straw" is that the parking brake seized up on my wife in the Home Depot parking lot the other day. I worked on it for a while there to try to free it, but ended up having to have it towed to a shop (tow is free due to roadside assistance). I've gotten so I don't really trust it not to break down on me or the family (but so far never the same thing twice).

Another consideration is that my oldest is 17 and will be driving any day now (needs to take her tests). Logically the "3rd car" would be available to her, but for the reasons above I'm not thrilled about that being the Explorer. Also it isn't the safest vehicle in the world (has just 1 or 2 airbags, iffy brakes even though they are ABS).

So....

Replacement should have lots of utility for me to use as I used the Explorer (camping, shooting, forest roads, snowy days). Don't want a full size truck for a variety of reasons, including gas mileage. I had a 2004 GMC Canyon crew cab 4x4 when it was new and I really liked it. Was thinking about something similar to replace the Explorer. The Frontier is of course on the list of trucks to check out.

I am currently looking at a 2007 Crew Cab 4x4 Nismo with 118,000 miles. I drove it and it drove great. Not too firm of a ride which I was concerned about with the Nismo. Issues as you would expect for the age and mileage, but nothing reallly jumped out at me as problematic. Asking price is $15k. Other than checking the radiator for existing coolant/atf issues, what should I look at or expect to be a problem with this truck? Someone mentioned the rear axle seals. Was thinking about offering $13k. It doesn't seem to have many options other than the base Crew Cab Nismo stuff.

Another that has popped up is a 2010 with 121,000 miles fro $16k. Newer, but more miles, not a Nismo. Haven't seen it yet because the dealer just took it in and hasn't made it available yet.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can do better. I just bought a 2015 Pro4X with luxury package for 22,500 with 52k miles. Keep looking. You won't be disappointed when you find the right one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably should have said what my budget is. Up to $20k TOTAL (tax and license included) but $15k is really more the target. I started this process with a $10k target and have been unable to find anything acceptable in that range.

I know there is a LOT of difference between markets. Here in Washington, trucks sell for a premium and values stay high.
I'm not opposed to buying out of market, but obviously can't be flying around looking at trucks.

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably should have said what my budget is. Up to $20k TOTAL (tax and license included) but $15k is really more the target. I started this process with a $10k target and have been unable to find anything acceptable in that range.

I know there is a LOT of difference between markets. Here in Washington, trucks sell for a premium and values stay high.
I'm not opposed to buying out of market, but obviously can't be flying around looking at trucks.

Hmmm...just spotted a 2013 with under 50k miles at the top of my price range, but 65 miles away.

Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hear you on that. I looked for literally MONTHS for the truck I wanted. Honestly, I looked for a Honda Ridgeline first and couldn't find one I liked. I happened to stumble on my Pro4X and fell in instant love. Don't regret it at all. It was the top end of my budget but so worth it.

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
I traded my 2010 for my 2016 and got $10,000 on a trade, the prices you're quoted are too high.
Offer 11 or 12, walk if they say no, they will come down. Mine was three years newer than the 2007 you're looking at. My 2007 Pathfinder SE got me $7000 on a trade for my new Wrangler last year so I know they took that truck on trade for WAY less.

Clint

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear you. _I_ also think they are asking too much. But unfortunately around here, people are paying it. If I don't want to pay, I don't buy a truck.

I offered $13000 on that 2007 and was turned down flat. But that's Ok...

I'm currently stalking a 2012 with under 80,000 miles and some nice options. I'll keep the thread posted.

Please continue any thoughts you might have.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
With a budget of 20K out the door, I know you can find something much newer. When I got my '11 Pro-4x it was 3 years old and had 38K on it and it was listed as 23K not including TTL. So... look for lease returns on the lower trim levels. There has to be some out there. I also initially was looking in the 10K range and found the same. I did stretch my budget just a little more than I wanted, but, in the end, it was money well spent.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I may have missed it, but where about do you live? I know out here in California EVERYONE is buying 4x4. Even my dad who has never owned one in his life bought one! I got an '05 for under $10k, but I know the owner of the dealership who called me to sell it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm happy for you guys that can find deals like that ($21k for a 2016 4x4 Crew Cab). In the Pac Northwest, those kind of deals are not available unless maybe you "know someone".

I bought the 2012 truck I mentioned yesterday. It basically was advertised yesterday for the first time and wasn't even officially ready to show (hadn't finished their safety inspection or detail). There were 10 interested parties and I only won out because apparently I was the only one who offered to make a deposit on it to hold it for me (necessary since I had a 2+ hour drive to get there). I have to go back and get it this weekend! I'll post more about it when I bring it home (will make a new "look what I just bought" post).

Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm happy for you guys that can find deals like that ($21k for a 2016 4x4 Crew Cab). In the Pac Northwest, those kind of deals are not available unless maybe you "know someone".

I bought the 2012 truck I mentioned yesterday. It basically was advertised yesterday for the first time and wasn't even officially ready to show (hadn't finished their safety inspection or detail). There were 10 interested parties and I only won out because apparently I was the only one who offered to make a deposit on it to hold it for me (necessary since I had a 2+ hour drive to get there). I have to go back and get it this weekend! I'll post more about it when I bring it home (will make a new "look what I just bought" post).

Rob
Nice looking ride!!! Love those side steps

·
Registered
830 Posts
I agree with the others, for a budget of 15-20k you can get way newer. Heck, I paid 21.5k out the door for my brand new 2013 Frontier Crew 4x4 S model.

The Frontiers are definitely the new budget truck, and I think that's a good thing. You can get a nice 4x4 CC frontier for cheap. Best of luck!

Reactions: Drumminchick

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with the others, for a budget of 15-20k you can get way newer. Heck, I paid 21.5k out the door for my brand new 2013 Frontier Crew 4x4 S model.

The Frontiers are definitely the new budget truck, and I think that's a good thing. You can get a nice 4x4 CC frontier for cheap. Best of luck!
It's funny that they consider it the new "budget truck." I looked for a truck for a year. I never liked the Frontier before but I did see a brand new Pro4X at the time, saw the price tag and was like nope.

So when the time came and I had driven many trucks.. I just happened to find my Pro4X. It was like it was waiting for me. But I say again.. Why is it a budget truck? This thing drove better, rode better, offered more options and was just a better looking truck than I'd ever hoped for.

Even when I drove the Honda Ridgeline that was exactly what I was looking for.. I still didn't like it. I would have settled for it because I'm such a Honda lover.. But then my Nissan came. Thank god. I would have never been as happy in that Ridgeline.

Truck makers could learn something from Nissan. I can't say I have a huge love for the Titan... But they have it right when it comes to the Frontier. Even the Canyon/Colorado are double the price for the Z71 and don't even offer what the Pro4X does.

I love my truck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's funny that they consider it the new "budget truck." I looked for a truck for a year. I never liked the Frontier before but I did see a brand new Pro4X at the time, saw the price tag and was like nope.

So when the time came and I had driven many trucks.. I just happened to find my Pro4X. It was like it was waiting for me. But I say again.. Why is it a budget truck? This thing drove better, rode better, offered more options and was just a better looking truck than I'd ever hoped for.

I use that term just because the Frontier is basically least expensive truck you can currently get. You can still just pick up a base king cab model that's 2 wheel drive for 18-19k. Any Tacoma model is about 4-5k more than the Frontier version. So that's why I use that term, because Nissan still seems to have economic versions of their truck for the person who just needs a decent use-able truck. I am not using that term to call the quality inferior.

Reactions: Drumminchick

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use that term just because the Frontier is basically least expensive truck you can currently get. You can still just pick up a base king cab model that's 2 wheel drive for 18-19k. Any Tacoma model is about 4-5k more than the Frontier version. So that's why I use that term, because Nissan still seems to have economic versions of their truck for the person who just needs a decent use-able truck. I am not using that term to call the quality inferior.
Oh no I know! I didn't mean to sound otherwise. It's just sad that you can spend less and get a much better truck. I read about a Tacoma lover that actually switched to a frontier because he loved it more. The other truck companies can learn something from Nissan! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts

The base 2wd S model King Cab is also the least equipped one could get. Manual and no air conditioning. Add the automatic with preferred package to get air conditioning and you are now in the $22K range. Go 4WD and you are now into the $27K range. That base King Cab 2wd stripped with no air and manual to keep that $18K is a rare truck on any lot around here.

The simple fact is Nissan and these Frontiers were never cheap for the longest time and only now seem to be a value is because the competition has gone on to newer models and higher starting MSRP pricing points. If not for the fact of me buying my new 2016 two months ago for being exactly a full model year leftover and the dealership discounting close to $7K, I would never have bought a new one at any higher pricing as they are not cost competitive for a 13 year old design.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts