Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Leer 100 XL on my '20 short bed has short, 16" struts on the rear window, such that the window doesnt open particualrly high and my head hits it every once in a while. The limiting factor for the window opening higher is the strut. Has anybody put a longer strut, say an 18" on these, to enable the window to open up a bit more ?

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
When closed how much of the gas springs shaft is exposed? If more than 2" than yes. Know that when closed it is not the shortest part of the stroke. The strut is actually shortest right before it is closed. This is so the gas spring does not force open the hatch. The spring is actually pushing the hatch closed.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Have you considered drilling out the rivets on the lower/cab mount and moving it upwards? crawl inside the canopy and close the rear window to see if the piston (in closed position) will allow the lower mount to be moved up a scootch

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you considered drilling out the rivets on the lower/cab mount and moving it upwards? crawl inside the canopy and close the rear window to see if the piston (in closed position) will allow the lower mount to be moved up a scootch
Looked at it, very little room to relocate the mount, too close to the curve of the window. Wondering if changing to an 18" piston would work.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Lightingguy - not all struts are created equal so look for the following specs: 1) measure OAL of the strut when compressed, 2) measure the OAL of the strut when extended, 3) note the mount connection to ensure that the strut's connection design is the same, 4) note the current strut pressure and try to match it with the replacement.

Presuming that you don't want to relocate the current mounts, climb inside and close the swing up window and measure mount distance, on center (of mount). Do the same when the window is flipped open. Compare with the strut to be sure that it can accommodate the existing measurements. You may/should be able to find a longer strut from McMaster-Carr

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO-4X, Icom IC-229H ham radio, 4K front and rear dashcam, Leer canopy
376 Posts
Geez how tall are you? I'm 6'4" and have the same canopy and my head hasn't hit the window....yet.
My lift struts are 19.5" fully extended. It is 76" to the tube the latch cables run in.. I have a center open handle. It's 78" to the facia lip. Is yours 2WD?

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Geez how tall are you? I'm 6'4" and have the same canopy and my head hasn't hit the window....yet.
My lift struts are 19.5" fully extended. It is 76" to the tube the latch cables run in.. I have a center open handle. It's 78" to the facia lip. Is yours 2WD?
I dunno, newer design ?. This is a '20 SV 4wd. short bed. This is a '21 design, I'm 5'10" and have to be careful to not hit my head. I might stop by the dealer for a consultation,

·
Registered
817 Posts
Without seeing the layout, I can only presume that increasing might work. But understand that if you do, it won't likely fit within the current mounts without very close review of the strut's dimensions and travel measurements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts