Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a company that puts out long-Travel suspension kit for a 2007+ Frontier xe? I have checked: total-chaos, camburg, prg products and so down the list. so far i haven't seen anything.. I was goin to put on the prg-a-arms, and their 2.5' coil overs on but i wanna do long-travel instead.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Just letting you know now bud. Not one person make a specific longtravel kit for the 2nd gen crowd. Which means everything you do will have to be custom. I know Prg can adapt their Titan Mid-travel kit to your frontier. Using a custom lower with modified CST spindles or modified stock spindles. Then either a custom box upper control arm or PRG tubular upper control arm. I suggest asking Terribleone for more info as he is running this set-up with much success.

Just remember take your time and look over everything. Dont get ahead of yourself & you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Have to do custom because the frame rails are so wide. You could do a twin beam conversion and not end up too stupid wide. Or a custom center mount A arm but it would be a lot of work getting the upper arm pivot points, they would probably need to be quite a bit inboard of the frame.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I think for this project to get off to a good start you should probably spend a week or so surfing this website and read everything you can. You should probably read mainly in the suspension and offroad sections but it wouldn't hurt to read over the new posts everyday so that you understand all the terminolgy people use and who is running what set-ups. This way when you ask a question, you can usually expect responses from key individuals and will understand more when they start to use a ton of acroynms.

A quick thing for you would be the titan swap to start. Then some coilovers but you may want to see what kind of spindle you should run and if a drop bracket will be needed or not. Not to mention that glass would be a must. Then lastly, don't forget the rear. A custom leaf pack or a 3/4 link or what???

Ohh, how much are you looking at spending on this and are you looking to do the work yourself or pay someone or what? These are usually most peoples limiting factors when doing projects like this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Right now this is the very Beginning to everything i want to do. im trying to stay under about 3500 bucks. I have done a littler research on my truck and the best way i found was to go with prg and build from there. Me and my friend are goin to be installing the parts.. Since this is my first truck im ever goin to prerun should i go in small increments on the build or go with the big stuff?

I dont think im goin to hammer this truck right away i just really want more of a performance in the suspension department so i dont bottom on whoops heading to watch mdr races lol.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
3500 is going to extremely limit your scope. Shocks alone will end up eating half the budged easily (front and rear). A custom leaf pack will kill another quarter about and then the front is left with basically a stock Titan swap.

You may want to start your search with looking at how much shock hoops and an engine brace will cost you plus labor since they are not an easy mod for the average person. Then what size shock you will need and if you are going with the Titan swap or not and if it will be the midtravel set-up or custom or what.

Personally I would do like most. Start with the Titan swap and a spacer. Then upgrade the Titan swap to the midtravel with glass. Then upgrade to shock hoops with coilovers.

While taking those steps. Add a set of shackles and possibly deavers along with upgraded shocks to bring up the rear some. Then glass back there and a custom leaf pack and your final shock upgrade.

Keep in mind thou, these mods are not cheap at all. You may find some of these upgrades for sale on the forums since a lot of people follow multiple steps while upgrading along the way to what they want in the end and sell off their now old set-ups.

After you complete your research you may want to post up what your final set-up will be and which steps you are looking to follow to reach your final goal. Don't forget to include prices so that you can see how much this will really cost you in the end. This will then allow the more knowledgable ones chime in and give you any pointers on your plan and maybe save you some money in the end.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Being you are an XE and don't plan on going to crazy yet; I would recommend swapping stock Titan upper and lower control arms and a simple shock upgrade for the front to start. Look into PRG's replacement leaf pack or a set of Deaver F55/F67 springs for the rear along with a rebuildable shock upgrade.

Since your truck is so light you won't need all the travel in the world to have a good time, and you won't find a cheaper option for a mid-travel set up for any truck out there. If you have any questions about our trucks specifically feel free to ask; if you are just curious about long travel suspension in general check out DezertRangers.com - Powered by vBulletin or Desert Racing from Dakar to Baja 1000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts