Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another little job complete...I fitted one of the 70 litre Long Ranger fuel tanks.

While it wasn't the hardest job I've ever done, I would have to say that it certainly was "interesting"... I would NOT look forward to fitting another, that's for sure :)

At least now I can carry 150 litres of diesel and get some decent off-road touring range from the Navara. The original 80 litre tank just doesn't cut it when you start heading out into remote areas.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Post pics, id enjoy seeing them

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much to post in the way of pics unfortunately. The tank is pretty much hidden, can't see it... The filler looks standard, there is one small link hose visible, and that's about it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is this the one that replaces the spare tire with an extra tank?
Nah mate, it sits behind the original tank, in front of the diff (and wraps over the top of the tailshaft a bit).

There are two companies which have similar names - "Longranger Automotive" and "The Long Ranger" (which is "Out of Town 4wd"). I went with the second one (:: The Long Ranger :: Long Range Fuel Tanks & Long Range Water Tanks ::) as it's sold by ARB, and over plenty of years I have had a good run with ARB products.

FYI - here is a pic of the installed tank from the longranger website:

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like a painfull operation to fit the Long Ranger fuel tank. I fitted a Longrange Automotive 150 litre replacment fuel tank took all of a hour to fit and was a great replacment, out with the old in with the new.:goodjob:You can never have enough fuel.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
On the long range tanks are there any that replace the factory tank?
How do they work as far as fuel guage etc.
My fuel gauge is still screwed after 3 attempts
It reads 1/8th of a tank with over 24 liters left. Maybe i should just go the big tank and be done wit it.
How would it be goinga big tank on a petrol unit?
anyone ever heard of it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks like a painfull operation to fit the Long Ranger fuel tank. I fitted a Longrange Automotive 150 litre replacment fuel tank took all of a hour to fit and was a great replacment, out with the old in with the new.:goodjob:You can never have enough fuel.
Yeah, wasn't the most fun job I've ever done - but it had to be done.

It's personal choice regarding tank choice, but some of the reasons I chose the Long Ranger solution are:

-weight. The original plastic tank isn't that heavy. Throw in the additional (auxilliary) tank and fittings, and it's a fair bit lighter than the replacement tank options. According to the research done by Long Ranger in the design phase, there would have been a fairly substantial weight penalty with making a full replacement tank versus the aux tank option (this is important to me as the Nav "only" has a payload of 820kg....and bullbars, winches, recovery gear, camping gear....even aftermarket suspension - comes with a weight penalty...every 20 or 30kg means a lot when I start to add up my travelling weight)

-strength. The auxilliary tank comes with an additional cross member to help support the weight of the complete assembly. As far as I'm aware, the replacement tanks don't come with an additional cross member (although of course I could be wrong). This was a concern for me as I do a fair bit of offroad driving, and the Navara chassis flexes a fair bit... That flex concerned me with regard to longevity of bolt on bits like aux/replacement fuel tanks.

You're dead right though - there aren't many circumstances where I would think "Gee, I wish I had less range available" :)

It is interesting that Brown Davis and Longrange automotive both do a full replacement tank. Ironman will have their 150 litre replacement tank available for the D40 in about 3 months as well. Attractive price too - $795. If I was in the market for a replacement tank in a few months time, I would be taking a long hard look at it.

But the things that swung me towards the aux tank were valid in my situation.

On the long range tanks are there any that replace the factory tank?
How do they work as far as fuel guage etc.
My fuel gauge is still screwed after 3 attempts
It reads 1/8th of a tank with over 24 liters left. Maybe i should just go the big tank and be done wit it.
How would it be goinga big tank on a petrol unit?
anyone ever heard of it?
Yep, there are currently 2 that replace the factory tank - a third will me on the market in abotu 3 months. Not sure what Ironman's plans are, but Longrange Automotive advertise theirs as "diesel only", and Brown Davis don't state whether it's diesel only, or compatible with either. Long Ranger do a 60L aux tank which is compatible with the petrol engine.

Not sure about gauge operation on the replacement tanks. If you want to catch up for a chat though, I can show you how it works on the aux tank. From what I've seen of the designs of the replacement tanks however, all the tanks (replacement and aux) will all give similar (quirky) gauge function.

With regard to your crook gauge, mine is in the same ballpark - about 20 litres remaining when reading approx 1/8 tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 145Ltr Brown Davis replacement tank on my 2009 D40 ST-X Diesel. it is the same depth as the standard tank so the guage does not get callibrated, apparently. idiot light comes on with 25Ltrs left

1 - 10 of 10 Posts