Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a 2000 Frontier XE 2WD w/KA24DE. Decided to change the OEM gas cap with a locking gas cap. Picked one up from Checker O'Reilly the brand is Murray. Never heard of this brand before. I guess it's an O'Reilly thing cause Checker used to have Stant before O'Reilly bought them out.

Threw out the OEM cap, I should have kept it. About 3 weeks after the locking gas cap went on my SES check engine light came on. Went to Autozone cause they scan codes for free (but they are not allowed to clear codes). Turned out it was code P0440 EVAP system leak. The first thing I thought of was the gas cap. I think my Chilton manual said that if the PCM doesn't detect any reoccurring issues after so many start cylces or miles the code will be automatically cleared and the SES light will turn off.

I returned the Murray gas cap and decided to get another one, different model number but same brand. I don't have the model numbers but the cap I'm running now does not have the silver cover over the lock. Started the truck this morning and my check engine light is off. One article I read also recommends turning the until you hear at least 3 clicks so that it's on tight to help prevent the SES light from coming on. Hopefully this won't happen again.

Here's the link I used:
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0440 Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I had my 2000 Xterra I did the same thing, but no CEL and drove it like that for years without any codes or light warnings. When it finally came to smog check time, my X failed because of the locking gas cap ( it was a Stant brand). Replaced it with a non-locking (stock type) and passed smog with flying colors.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
its the gas cap.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Ive been running a Stant on mine for about 7 or so years without any problems. Dont recall the model number tho.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 2000 Frontier had the same check engine code, P0440. My trusted mechanic said that small leaks are hard to detect or I can spend a whole lot of money chasing the code. I replaced the gas cap with an aftermarket one but it dd not solve it. So, I keep on erasing the code and have it reappered once a week. Eventually the code has changed to P0455 (large evaporative leak). Kept on erasing that one too and now the strange thing is that the codes alternate. There are no fuel smells and nothing wrong with the Evap lines. The truck drives very well for an engine with 155,000 miles. I hope that the problem will become more evident and possibly more visible. In the meantime I will continue to search for answers on this board and periodically check certain evap components for failure.
Anyone else had this issue fixed besides replacing the Gas Cap?

Recently picked up a 2000 Frontier XE 2WD w/KA24DE. Decided to change the OEM gas cap with a locking gas cap. Picked one up from Checker O'Reilly the brand is Murray. Never heard of this brand before. I guess it's an O'Reilly thing cause Checker used to have Stant before O'Reilly bought them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts