Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to use a Jerry can for off road adventures but need to rig it so nobody can steal it or the gas inside. Smittybilt makes a locking gas can holder but I’m wondering if anyone here has used one and how you mounted it to your truck.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
the smittybuilt holder while useful, is not really that heavy duty. Any large prying tool could compromise the strap.

With that said, I have one and I bent up some brackets so it can bolt in the bed to the Utilitrack rails. It fits under my tonneau cover.

·
Premium Member
2012 Pro-4x crew cab
47 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. Sean how much clearance is there between your tonneau cover and the top of the gas can/mount?

·
Premium Member
2012 Pro-4x crew cab
47 Posts
No worries, I’ll probably check it out at our next meet up

I just decided to buy the 2.5 gallon FuelPaX utilitrack setup from RotoPaX. Should be practical and small enough to remain out of the way. I already regret not ordering the 3.5 so I may update my order if possible

·
Registered
337 Posts
No worries, I’ll probably check it out at our next meet up

I just decided to buy the 2.5 gallon FuelPaX utilitrack setup from RotoPaX. Should be practical and small enough to remain out of the way. I already regret not ordering the 3.5 so I may update my order if possible
With a tonneau cover , do you think the 3.5 FuelPax would fit?

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
It just clears with enough room to let the fabric move around in the wind and not rub.

I used 1/8" x 2" bar stock. I had a home built bender (hated it, tossed it when I moved) but you can accomplish the same with a bench vice and a hammer, just not as easily repeated for multiple of the same bracket.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Depending on what mount, what can and what tonneau you have, this'll be very iffy. I got two 5 gallon Jerry's from Harbour Freight and standing up, they bumped my Truxedo LoPro cover. I haven't filled them yet, so right now they are strapped down sideways with a ratchet strap, on the sides of my large bed toolbox. When I need to use them filled I'm going to stand them up and strap them down, and leave the tonneau rolled back for clearance purposes, and also to be sure that no fuel fumes build up under the cover and present an explosion hazard.

Reactions: The other Sean

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
If I didn't mention, I used a S(h)mittybilt jerry can mount and bent up my own brackets to fit it to the bed rails. The Smittybuilt mount is pretty medicore. It gets the job done, but, a person could easily work the strap loose if they really wanted your can.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think it would fit just fine. I should get my 2.5 this weekend, so I can take some measurements and see if the larger size would fit.
let me know how you make out. I can tell the 3.5 fuelpax should fit but I can’t figure out if it’ll fit with their mount as I don’t know how far down the mount puts the pack.

if I can get the 3.5 fuelpax to fitunder my tonnau cover that would be great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts