Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a cleat for the utility track system that can be locked? I just got my Frontier yesterday- 2010 crew cab 2 wheel drive- and the first thing I noticed about the cleat system is that they can't be locked so someone who knows about them could just walk up and take one if you leave them in. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

·
Super Moderator
19,582 Posts
Has anyone found a cleat for the utility track system that can be locked? I just got my Frontier yesterday- 2010 crew cab 2 wheel drive- and the first thing I noticed about the cleat system is that they can't be locked so someone who knows about them could just walk up and take one if you leave them in. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!
I don't know of any way to lock them. I have a tonneau cover so I leave mine in.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
There are square blocks (in the center of this picture).
if you unscrew the cleats completely you can simply turn them and pull them out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleats

My understanding is that the square things are used to lock the ens of one of the channels so something can't slip out of the end of the channel. I've been looking online and so far no luck finding anything. Seems like it would be something you would be able to find, but maybe I'm the only person who tought of it so far? Thanks for the replies!

·
Super Moderator
19,582 Posts
My understanding is that the square things are used to lock the ens of one of the channels so something can't slip out of the end of the channel. I've been looking online and so far no luck finding anything. Seems like it would be something you would be able to find, but maybe I'm the only person who tought of it so far? Thanks for the replies!
Believe me, you are not the only person who thought about locking cleats. Congrats on your new truck.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
if you put the blocks at the ends of the cleats you cant remove the cleats without taking the blocks off
it does not stop a thing.

Loosen your cleat all the way. You can then spin it 90* and pull it right out.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
You could make a poll and see how many members have actually had cleats stolen though.. I was paranoid about it when my truck was new as well, but have been leaving them in for a while now with no trouble. (noticed other frontiers in my area who keep theirs in as well)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I agree with Zero Six, and others the square blocks don't provide anti thief protection.

Mine are under a locking cover, so I don't think about them much.

If you are worried about someone stealing something from your truck, consider keeping your tailgate locked to prevent someone from swiping that too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did figure that part out!!! I wondered why the tail gate locked and at first just thought it was so that if you did get a cover for the bed you could lock the tailgate for extra security. In going over the manual last night I saw that the gate was removable, and the light bulb went off! It is locked now!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i have had my cleats in my track for over 2 years not and have not had any stolen. parked at malls, walmarts, and restaurants for hours and some not in the greatest neighborhoods and there all still there.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i have had my cleats in my track for over 2 years not and have not had any stolen. parked at malls, walmarts, and restaurants for hours and some not in the greatest neighborhoods and there all still there.
x2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to say thakns to all that responded to this thread! One of the reasons for the question was a little beyond the stolen cleat issue (which was still a legitimate concern) and had to do with a in-bed tool box. I bought a Kobolt tool box (from Lowes) for my old 2002 Ranger that the frontier replaced. I took it out and sized it up in the Frontier and it will work, but the under the bed rail mounting brackets won't work on the Frontier. The utili-track cleats will keep it in place, but everything could easily be removed by just loosening the cleats. That is what got me to thinking that the cleats could be stolen (as well as the tool box).

What I am thinking about trying is to get a set of the dirtwerkz mounting brackets and using those to "lock" the toolbox into the bed so it can't be easily removed. I even figure they could be welded onto the outside of the box once correctly positioned to make them permenant. Again, thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
185 Posts
even my friends dodge dakota's utilitrak system was built better than ours, each channel is locked on the end and you cant take out the cleats from the system period.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts