Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be picking up another safe soon and was wondering about the tailgate on the frontier. Depending on what safe I get, it’ll be 360-500lbs and will be laid back at an angle on the tailgate and slid into the bed.

many risk of damaging it due to weight, while loading/unloading ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Two fat drunks sitting on your tailgate at a party would exceed 500 lbs.
Just take the gold out of the safe before moving it. You might be ok, although I bet Nissan would cut that weight limit in half.
If this is something you do regularly, consider an engine hoist/shop crane from Harbor Freight to help lift the load, especially if you work alone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My bet would be damage to the tailgate with those loads. If even slightly damaged, you'll kick yourself. Damaged hinges, cable system, sheet metal, mis-aligned latch points... The weight will be multiplied, in a manner of speaking, as a cantilevered weight out on the leading edge of the tailgate furthest from the hinge points. Remember, you're putting weight on formed sheet metal throughout the tailgate system, not thick structural steel. And those cables and anchor points can only bear so much weight themselves. This isn't a freight truck with a liftgate system.

How about removing the tailgate and tipping the safe directly into the bed? Drape a moving blanket or cardboard over the edge of the bed and bumper to help prevent cosmetic damage.

And if your truck has a backup camera, don't forget the disconnect procedure in the owner's manual before removing the gate.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As long as you aren’t just tipping it over and letting it free-fall onto the tailgate it will be fine. 350-500lbs gently slid into the truck off the tailgate is going to be ok.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My bet would be damage to the tailgate with those loads. If even slightly damaged, you'll kick yourself. Damaged hinges, cable system, sheet metal, mis-aligned latch points... The weight will be multiplied, in a manner of speaking, as a cantilevered weight out on the leading edge of the tailgate furthest from the hinge points. Remember, you're putting weight on formed sheet metal throughout the tailgate system, not thick structural steel. And those cables and anchor points can only bear so much weight themselves. This isn't a freight truck with a liftgate system.

How about removing the tailgate and tipping the safe directly into the bed? Drape a moving blanket or cardboard over the edge of the bed and bumper to help prevent cosmetic damage.

And if your truck has a backup camera, don't forget the disconnect procedure in the owner's manual before removing the gate.
This is exactly right. Take the tailgate off, then there's nothing to worry about.

Alternately, rent a truck with a lift gate (Home Depot?) then you get ease of moving it and your truck isn't touched.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Id also go with this.. I bought a large tool chest 350lb empty and was going to unload it this way but I was just pressing down on outer edge of gate with pretty good amount of pressure.. “by hand” while watching the hinges and decided against it.. just watching the movement of the hinges and mounting points of them was enough to keep from doing it, didn’t want to chance any damage.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I regularly load a motorcycle into the back using a ramp that sits on the end of the gate. One bike is 250ish lbs and the other 475ish. No issues. But that being said, it's only on the outside of the tailgate for a second or two at the most.

You'll probably be fine, but for peace of mind I'd just remove the gate.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Every now and then I need to bring my 500 lb John Deere tractor to the shop. I load it onto my bed using ramps perched onto the edge of the tailgate. The driver (me) drives the vehicle so there is more weight than 500 lbs. Never had a problem. However, the tailgate never sees 700 lbs as the weight is distributed among the wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts