Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I finally after so many problems,hours of hard work and money I finished swapping my frontier and installed the titan parts on it. I first decided to do this because I had installed a leveling kit and after the install of the leveling kit , made for a result of lots of weird and annoying noises on my suspesion. so I put my problem up on the forum ,for advice of what i could do about it, so someone advice and introduce me to the titan swap. After like three months of hard work I finally got all the parts and bits together and today got it finish, but now the noises are still there not as much or loud do and now it seems that my fronti sits lower than how it was with it stock UCA and LCA and the leveling kit, which i wasnt expecting(maybe cause i havent gottan the titan sway bar perhaps it sits lower???), but yeah so now can someone with real advice tell me how to stop the noises and any info on the avergae height of a fronti with the titan swap , and now that i have those titan parts what size of tire can i fit?? but at the end I feel like I did all this for nothing in a way hopefully im wrong and someone can help me out..
thanks to all :crikey:

·
Premium Member
12,625 Posts
you have any pics of the bolts holding your upper and lower control arms?
they might need to be either greased or tightened. you shouldnt have coilbucket contact.
cant really give you an answer without a question. noises are noises. where at, what do they sound like when do they do them.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
what kind of shocks did you put on?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Yeah, my front end seems like it's sitting lower than it was without the titan swap. I don't understand why either, but i plan on replacing the factory shocks/coil with aftermarket. But first i need to get rid of my 2.5 SAWs for $550, meant for 2wd only.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb and say that your lower ride height is normal since the lower shock mount is further out.

I am still a little confused about your noises thou. Were they there before the spacer install or did the spacer install cause them?

Did you have to remove anything besides the wheel and shock/coil assembly while installing the spacer or did you have to take the UCA off the spindle?

Are you sure everything is torqued to spec and nothing loosened?

Lastly, if you used a pickle fork on anything that wasn't thrown out, then that could be your issue. They have a tendency of destroying bushings and joints so beware if you used them.

I think your best bet is to go joint by joint with some dry lubricant in a can and see which joint is causing the "squeek". Just make sure you don't get too crazy and just spray everything at once, then will eliminate any chance of narrowing down the problem area.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Yah I think when most people say titan swap they mean swapping control arms along with a nice set of coilovers like radflos, sway-a-ways, icons, kings, etc. I didn't even know people were titan swapping and still using stock shocks. That seems pointless to me. Got to have some good shocks to control that extra travel. And yah using your stock shocks on titan arms would move them out some, so thats probably why its lower. Now that you can clear and have that extra travel you need some good shocks.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
He is not the only one rocking OEM shocks and not coilovers. Penski did it originally and I think Bwarren still is. Its not the ideal thing to do forever but will work for a while.

Odd Question: How does our front shock/coil set-up mount to the coil bucket? I always assumed it was a rigid mount with the 3 studs/nuts and then the bottom mounted to the LCA with a single thru bolt. Wouldn't this cause issues when you cycle the suspension?

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
yah the three bolts connect it at the top, and the throughbolt on the lower control arm. so it just rotates on that throughbolt if that's what your asking. I think most coilover shocks on trucks are like that.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
yah the three bolts connect it at the top, and the throughbolt on the lower control arm. so it just rotates on that throughbolt if that's what your asking. I think most coilover shocks on trucks are like that.
Doesn't that cause some kind of alignment issue when you move the lower mount further out and then cycle it?

I know it is eliminated when you do a real coilover since they use a single bolt top and bottom with the use of an adapter plate for the 3 studs/nuts.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Doesn't that cause some kind of alignment issue when you move the lower mount further out and then cycle it?

I know it is eliminated when you do a real coilover since they use a single bolt top and bottom with the use of an adapter plate for the 3 studs/nuts.

Hmmmm. Yah I get what your saying. Im not sure. Im not as familiar as some are with this cause I didnt even know guys were titan swapping with stock shocks. Someone should know though.

·
Premium Member
12,625 Posts
i think it would pose a problem. and could possibly cause a horrible noise of any bump. if you hand tighten the top three bolts, pull in the bottom and mount, then finish off the top, that would give you slack in the back of the shock you wouldnt see and could give you the noise your hearing.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
you can run OEM coils from a titan as they are longer then the OEM frontier coil. if your still running the stock frontier coils that will drop the truck as the angle of the coil is greater thus putting more weight on that spring compressing it more.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Noises= You Didnt Grease, Or Lube With Silicone Paste All Contact Points
Noises= If You Tightened All The Suspension Up Without The Weight Of The Truck On The Ground, You Preloaded The Bushings, Which Meens As Its Sitting On The Ground, The Bushings All Actually Twisted And Under Tension. This Leads To Broken Bushings.
Working On Jaguars Were People Turn Off Their Stereos And Listen For The Slightest Squeek, Thump Or Bump, You Learn To Be Proactive And Address Potential Issues When Your Working On The Car

·
Registered
144 Posts
you can run OEM coils from a titan as they are longer then the OEM frontier coil. if your still running the stock frontier coils that will drop the truck as the angle of the coil is greater thus putting more weight on that spring compressing it more.
I've been wandering if anyone has run stock titan struts on a Frontier with no titan swap? Sorry not trying to thread jack, just been wandering.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Acccording to shinjaris write up, one should gain .5-1 inch of height from Titan swapping with stock coils... Bu I see your alls point, my Titan swap is going on this weekend(stock lcas, penski ucas, and tierod extensions). I'm going to run my stock coils for awhile unless lil Kim wants to just give me some saws hahah

Op check your inbox

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
what kind of shocks did you put on?[/QUOTE

I have bloody bilstiens on it with the leveling kit on it,
i didnt know but kind of figure it out yesterday that i would need better shocks or coilovers, so which ones do you guys reccomend?? how much are kings running for? any guesses? i was looking at radflo but had no idea which to choose,any idea on how much there running??
Im going to the shop tommorow and take every bolt that holds the UCA and the LCA out and greasing them properly just to make sure, the noises started when I installed the leveling kit , the noises now are quiet the same but not as much as before.
Also the not having a sway bar ,for now those that have anything to do with the height of the truck??
to anyone with the titan swap what your average height from the ground to the bottom of the front bumper and from the tire to the fender??

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
He is not the only one rocking OEM shocks and not coilovers. Penski did it originally and I think Bwarren still is. Its not the ideal thing to do forever but will work for a while.
I don't think that's correct. Aaron hasn't run a stock component on the 2nd gen in forever. I could be wrong, but I don't remember that.

Edit: Checked with Aaron, he didn't run OEM shocks on the Titan Swap so i'm not sure what you're thinking about.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.