Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I took a riding trip down to NC a few weeks ago. I had a little trailer that weighs (guessing here) 800LBS. The bikes are 250 LBS a piece. plus gear and two passangers and I. When I was towing it it just seemed heavy. I did NOT use OD on the way down. Gas milage was non-existant! At 70mph with no OD...It was like 10 MPG!

On the way back I did use OD and slowed to 60ish MPH. Gas milage went up, but as soon as I hit any hill the OD would be on and off, on and off. So I just turned it off. I just expected a little more from the truck. No?

Trailer 800
3 bikes 750
3 dudes 600
Total 2,150

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
422 Posts
i get about 12 mpg towing 4k around doing landscaping

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
thats off i got better MPG towing my XJ at 60+ then that. also seems that the trailer has a lot more weight on the rear or 2 high of a hitch. that can really change how the truck tows

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
i towed a u-haul 5x10 box with my life inside it down to FL in July over 3 days. that included a full bed and back seat. truck barely felt it, and i kept around 60mph. maybe its just cuz i made sure my takeoffs were more gradual and even than i usually do, but there was plenty of power. i also have zero engine mods.

gas mileage took a hit (10-12 i would say, but i could tell you for sure later tonite).

how many miles you at? u need a tune? (plugs/filters/fluids/etc)? might be a good idea to find some lost pep.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tow i 16 foot ramp door pace , with a 600 lb Mini Sprint in it plus spares.....The only time I have seen over 10 is with a strong tailwind..And I have to tow witth OD off.....

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
also seems that the trailer has a lot more weight on the rear or 2 high of a hitch. that can really change how the truck tows
That hitch does look too high, I would try to change that to see if it helps. Maybe just borrow one of your buddies and see. Because whenever we tow stuff our trailer sits about level

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the hitch is definitely too high, you can see in the pic that the trailer angles up to the truck, you really want it level if you can if not a slight tongue down position is your best bet. i've pulled no bs 12k pounds with my frontier. i only went like an 1/8 mile to a gas station to fill up the boat and back but the truck no joke pulled that like a champ. stupid shop powerstroke broke down and we needed to get a some gas in a boat for its first fire up. wish i still had pics of it but i lost them when i lap top crashed, a 39ft MTI looks funny behind a frontier lol. but other than that i pull about 5k pounds (24ft bayliner) pretty much every weekend in the summer and the truck pulls like there's nothing behind it. just get that tongue level right and maybe (if you can) load the bikes so they are more over the axle on the trailer and you'll be good. as far as mpg well thats pretty much how towing goes put i wouldn't drive in over drive at all when towing. OD is generally pretty weak in comparison to the other gears in the tranny, keep towing on OD and you wont be happy with the results

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats off i got better MPG towing my XJ at 60+ then that. also seems that the trailer has a lot more weight on the rear or 2 high of a hitch. that can really change how the truck tows
Yeah I thought so too. May be that tilt to it did hurt it. IDK?
Do you think that ramp-door had anything to do with it. I realize that its not solid, but it had to be some what of a parrichue <--- how ever that is spelled?

I pulled a ranger on u-haul trailer didn't know it was there. odd.
From how my truck drives with no load on it I would think what you said would be true. Our trucks have so much mussle that I would think 2K lbs wouldnt be too bad.

That hitch does look too high, I would try to change that to see if it helps. Maybe just borrow one of your buddies and see. Because whenever we tow stuff our trailer sits about level
Yeah I agree. It was at a moments notice, kind of trip. 3 hours before we left my truck had no hitch on it. Got the hitch and wires all in a hurry with out asking how tall my buddies trailer is. Whoops.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
the ramp door should affect it that much also dosent help with the winter blend gas i went from 15 to 13 towing my XJ this past weekend with the dodge same roads, just different season and had a 2mpg hit

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, didnt think of that. at 2 mpg X 19 gal... that 38 miles per tank. At 5 tanks, down and back, I would of saved 190 miles. So in the summer I could have saved 2/3 of a tank of gas. Damn winter fuel! lol!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too have noticed a difference between when I haul my bike (05 crf 450r), not as nice as your i might add. When its just me i throw the bike in the bed and not too much gear. I do notice that i am hauling that extra weight. I recently bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer, and towing it empty feels just like when i haul the bike. I had rented a snowmobile and used the trailer for it, it actually didnt make a difference in how it towed. I am crediting that to the placement of the snowmobile in the trailer. Most of the weight was over the axle. When I used to load semi flatbeds at work, I would always be asked to load it over the axles or the drivers would now where to put it so the weight distribution was correct and legal.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
somethings not right.

besides the questions that have already been suggested.

Have you towed THAT trailer before? Personally, I hate mesh gate trailers. that is a sail in the wrong place.
When was the last time the trailer was serviced? Are the wheel bearings in good condition?
I would suggest checking for a dragging brake, but since its a small single axle trailer, probably doesn't have brakes.
How is the wheel alignment and balance on the trailer tires?
Other things you might try is adding a wind deflector to the front of the trailer. there is a lot there for the wind to have to move around to catch that sail in the back.

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
My enclosed 5X10 trailer weighs 900 pounds empty. I highly doubt that trailer is even 500 pounds. With the bikes on there you were maybe at 1000-1100 LBS.
I've loaded mine with two harleys and extra things and the truck pulled fine and there wasn't any issues. The bikes were over 1200 pounds alone.
You all can do whatever you wish but I will NEVER tow anything at 70 mph.
I ride in the right lane and just cruise.
If the the trailer blows a tire or something else happens when it flips, so does the truck. I enjoy life more than I need to be anywhere in a hurry.

Clint

·
Registered
985 Posts
+1 Clint.

Wind resistance with the duck tail is killin ya. Slow down. Wind resistance is a square of speed (I think I remember correctly). Check the tires.

I haul a big harley on an open trailer and only notice it when I'm stopping and then only slightly. I don't do OD and mileage drops 10%.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yep, that mesh ramp creates more resistance than you would think.

BTW, did you remove the front tire on the bike that is in the bed?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm getting a good 18mpg with this trailer and three full-size dirt bikes running 70 on the interstate.

I've included some pictures of my set up that I believe you would find interesting - not to mention off topic.

The two red bikes are XR-80's which have been replaced with CRF-230's and I don't have a picture. This is only to show how I load three dirt bikes on a 5x10 foot trailer with a bed box at the front. When we went to the CRF-230's I had to add an extender bar for the tie downs to have an angle at the two bikes. Pull a pin and the bar can be retracted when not needed.

This way, you don't have to have a bike in the bed and can get it out of airflow and that may help with your mpg to some degree.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
yeah somethings not right. i tow more than that with my first gen and i run in overdrive gear over hills and everything with no issues

·
Registered
271 Posts
I disagree with those who say your experience was "not normal." Mine is exactly the same. With my snowmobile trailer (500 lbs) and two sleds (roughly 1000 lbs) it feels like I'm towing a freight train. The tow rating of 6500 lbs on these trucks is a joke. Maybe the frame is up to the task, but not the engine. As I've said before, my truck has power in terms of the speed it can generate, but does not have the low end torque that is needed for towing. My gas mileage usually dips to 11-12 mpg when towing my trailer, which is horrible IMO. It gets the job done, but I can't imagine how it would act towing anything heavier.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts