Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You guys might be sick of me posting up clips, but thought I would post this one up anyway since it's a little unique. I've mentioned before that since my cam install, my mid range has really improved. This has giving me the abiltiy to break the tires loose quite often even in 2nd gear from a roll. So I just did a quick little on-the-spur clip last weekend and thought I would post it up.
Basically rolled into the throttle in 2nd gear which produced a decent little spin from 40-55mph. Sometimes it does better, sometimes worse, but its still pretty cool lighting them up at 40+mph. And yes the streets were dry and yes my tires have great tread.
YouTube - 08 Frontier 2nd gear roll spin

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
yah you gotta appreciate that! Love these trucks more and more everyday.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got any videos from the outside so I can hear how the exhaust sounds taking off and going by. Nice setup btw!!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, its pretty fun. It will break loose pretty good on most blacktops. When its starts spinning like that, it will usually spin on through 2nd, into 3rd gear. Now on nice sticky concrete, I usually only get a good chirp from a roll in 2nd gear. In 1st gear it doesn't matter what type of road or what speed--if I get on it, the tires are going to light up.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
it's amazing what aggressive cams will do. have you noticed any gas mileage hit since the cam install?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's amazing what aggressive cams will do. have you noticed any gas mileage hit since the cam install?
Not at all. In combination driving, I've been getting about 19mpg since my cams installation. Which is just right where I was before.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
good deal. my boss has all the extra parts to convert to a 350z intake and i've been toying with the idea (along with cams, headers and a tune) but i just can't bring myself to do it. i've got too many other things to spend money on and the truck is running good as is. maybe way down the road when it's time for a rebuild...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good deal. my boss has all the extra parts to convert to a 350z intake and i've been toying with the idea (along with cams, headers and a tune) but i just can't bring myself to do it. i've got too many other things to spend money on and the truck is running good as is. maybe way down the road when it's time for a rebuild...
I understand being content where you are. I'm almost where I want to be also. Still planning a 4.10gear/truetrac swap next month, but after that, I'll be done with mods for a good while. Still would like to look into the intake also, but don't think there are any real good options there. If you do decide to play the the Z intake, please post up anything you find out. I feel thats my weak point but don't really know, so I'm very curious about any intake experiments.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
that would probably give you a lot of advantage since you have cams RD. also, uprev has said that 350z ECU's (the DE's and revup's) have the programming in there for 2 throttle bodies. how sick would it be to have a true HR VQ engine in a fronty? if i were you, i'd start scouring the junkyards for intakes off an 07+ Z. once you do the swap you would need to get it tuned for the new intake but i bet you would see a big jump in power due to the extra flow.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Very nice! I have still yet to see the truck after the install. From what I can see, thats sick.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
that would probably give you a lot of advantage since you have cams RD. also, uprev has said that 350z ECU's (the DE's and revup's) have the programming in there for 2 throttle bodies. how sick would it be to have a true HR VQ engine in a fronty? if i were you, i'd start scouring the junkyards for intakes off an 07+ Z. once you do the swap you would need to get it tuned for the new intake but i bet you would see a big jump in power due to the extra flow.
Thanks for the info. I will start researching that for certain. I just did a little check on them. Looks like they are selling for about $150 used for the HR upper intake.

Very nice! I have still yet to see the truck after the install. From what I can see, thats sick.
If you come my direction again, just stop by and I'll let you take it out & play with it some if you want. You've helped me plenty times with my truck, it's the least I could do.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Nice! Your truck has a great sound also

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well crap! HKYStormFront you actually have me looking at the HR intake now. Every time I think I'm good for now, something else pops. For certain I would need a the lower intake also since the HR port set up is very different. Used upper & lower is about $300. New upper & lower is about $500. The throttle bodies are pretty expensive though. About $488 each new. Though they can be had for about $150ea used. So I guess that puts it at about $600 used for the main components. Don't know about the electrical issues with the dual throttle bodies. It would be totally cool though. If I could get a HP gain, and hopefully little or no torque loss, that would awesome! Wish i had some of these parts I could just look at & play with.
Anybody else got any thoughts on a HR intake. I would think it would maybe be a good choice for a cammed VQ like mine. Humm.........

Attachments

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
my thoughts on the HR intake? it looks like it's made of lego's :nana: :laugh:

nah i think that would be awesome. i'd just keep it in the back of your mind for now and maybe work towards it slowly collecting the parts till you are ready for the install. your midrange torque should go up considerably (it's practically a plateau of 280ft lbs from 2000rpm on in the 350 HR engine) and if you raise the redline a bit (now a lot safer to do since you have the air flow for it) i could easily see you heading for 7k or even 7200 rpm and putting down well over 300hp with our 4.0L of displacement. as for the wiring, perhaps just a 07+ upper engine harness? i don't know how much of it is separate-able but there's bound to be a way. this sounds like one of the cool side projects uprev is known to cook up (they are currently trying to adapt a VK wiring harness for use with LS series SBC's for swaps into Z's for instance).

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm assuming the dual intake setup for the HR's will give much better flow than the DE's single intake? It's a shame because the DE would be much easier to convert it appears. Could maybe even still keep my Volant. But I'm sure the HR is much better. If I could do the swap for a grand and gain 20whp, it would be plenty worth it to me, especially since you feel i wouldn't see any torque loss either. I'll be doing some deep research on that down the road.
For now I gotta get my truetrac installed. I really think that, along with the 4.10's will finally allow me to get the hole shot I need to break into the 13's. With my cams I cant find a good launch point. I either bog or boil the tires, no happy medium.

Nice! Your truck has a great sound also
And mateo, I can think the cams for that great sound. My exhaust sounded good before, but now the cams have changed the tone of the intake and exhaust. Sounds much more aggressive. A extra nice bonus from the cams.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey rdr, is that time on the bottom of your sig after cams? Almost to 13! N/A too good job man!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Breaking loose in second gear at 40mph? Damn that is some pretty sick results from all the work/money/time you've put in. And if you want more help on the intake, look up SG Motorsports. Better yet, I'll just link you to them. These guys have done amazing things with the VQ35.

SG-Motorsport | Main Page

1 - 20 of 25 Posts