Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 16" stock rims that are chrome. I don't know who or why they ever optioned chrome for this truck, but they look terrible. I want to replace them, but I was wondering if covering them with Line-X would be an option?

I'm in the middle of refinishing a roof rack with line-x. The finish has turned out awesome. I have no idea on wear-&-tear on this material, though. Any thoughts? My concerns would be color fade and cleaning them up...

·
Registered
131 Posts
whattttttt
never heard of stock chrome rims on a fronty??

PICS!!?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It has been done before. It is called the "stealth" mod for the rims. A lot of offroad guys have opted for this option so they can easily repair any scratches from offroading.

For more pics I would wonder of to thenewx.org and check out some threads over there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pictures

Here you guys go... what ya guys think, original?

And yea, the blown tire happened at 70mph on the interstate last night. Limped home another 200 miles on the spare...

The tires are (what I assume to be) original, General Grabber AWs.

'

·
Registered
131 Posts
OHHH it's first gen, i was thinking 2nd, i'm pretty useless in the 1st gen department.

someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon!!

but i agree not feeling all that shiny chrome-nesss

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dude scuff them babies up, put some good bonder primer & coat them. I think that tire failure was just the tire trying to get away from the rim! :)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Heres a set of 2nd gens in chrome for anyone wanting to see them, let me know if you find out some info on line-x or powdercoating. Ive thought about taking the same path with mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man this board is 2nd Gen heavy... BAH!

I think the chrome looks fine on the 2nd gens, seems like your truck has chrome trim to match.

My truck is all silver and black and I want the rims to match! JDub, are you suggesting painting it rattle can style? I'm not too timid here so I'd give it a try. I also have the truck at the body shop getting some of the trim fixed up from the road blow out. I could just ask them to do it.

As for Line-X, again my roof rack looks awesome. It hasn't been installed though, so no idea on wear/tear. But the same guy said he'd do the wheels for $30/wheel. Seems like a great deal if they're maintainable.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Man this board is 2nd Gen heavy... BAH!

I think the chrome looks fine on the 2nd gens, seems like your truck has chrome trim to match.

My truck is all silver and black and I want the rims to match! JDub, are you suggesting painting it rattle can style? I'm not too timid here so I'd give it a try. I also have the truck at the body shop getting some of the trim fixed up from the road blow out. I could just ask them to do it.

As for Line-X, again my roof rack looks awesome. It hasn't been installed though, so no idea on wear/tear. But the same guy said he'd do the wheels for $30/wheel. Seems like a great deal if they're maintainable.
The only thing I've heard about linex on the wheels is it may be hard to balance them, not sure if thats true or not.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I rattle caned the rims in my sig, about 8 months ago. Pic was taken about 30 days ago.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Sounds cool an would probably look cool, but I personally wouldn't do it. The line-x will add a bit if extra weight to the wheels which would drop your performance a bit, not to mention that it's not gonna go on exactly even which will absolutely throw off the perfect balance of them. Would probably work fine if your truck was a pure crawler, but could become dangerous at highway speeds

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a DD truck. I was assuming I could still have the rims balanced... maybe the rim can be left Line-X free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts