Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 98 frontier 5 speed 4x4 with the ka24de has been having some problems lately. I was getting 250 miles out of a full tank now I only get about 180. Upon startup when the engine is cold, or if it's in gear it idles really high. When I take it out of gear, and only if I'm stopped it will idle normally. Replaced the tps after it threw a code for it. Not sure what it could be. Ecu maybe?

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
When you replaced the TPS, did you adjust it per the updated procedure outlined in service bulletin NTB99-053b? Did you try adjusting the base idle speed per the service manual procedure?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I adjusted the tps. All that did is cure the low idle when it actually does drop to idle. Most of the time it idles at a constant 2500 no matter what gear. Sometimes when I take it out of gear it drops to idle, but not always.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Make sure the throttle body is clean; sometimes if there is a lot of varnish build-up, it can keep the throttle plate from closing fully. Get the engine to normal operating temperature by running it at 2000 RPM for 2 minutes. Shut the engine off. Unplug the throttle position sensor and start the vehicle. Rev it a few times and let idle. The ECM will be in a set mode for timing and base idle adjustment. Adjust the base idle using the idle speed screw on the IACV-AAC valve; if you can't get the idle to factory spec, the IACV-AAC valve is likely faulty and needs to be cleaned out or replaced. Once the base idle is set to factory spec, adjust the ignition timing to spec using a timing light. When done, turn off the engine, plug the TPS back in a restart. Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Throttle body is clean. Tried adjusting the screw but I couldn't make it go any lower, My check engine light did turn off for the tps though. Checked the timing a couple months ago and it was in spec, havnt checked it since. Edit- check engine light is back on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts