Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Frontier its the crew cab 4x4 SE. its got the 4.0 v6. I was helping a buddy out and pulling a trailer at highway speeds approx. 65 to 80 miles an hour for an extended time. My buddy asked about a towing mode and I told him i didn't have one so we turned off the overdrive setting with the button on the gear shift. it was a v nose enclosed trailer that was empty and it weighed about 2090 pounds. the road conditions were clear and sunny but it was windy. the first time I had felt the truck bounce it felt like I had hit a bump. and then I noticed i had lost power. but I didn't think much of it because I was in a parking lot. when I got to looking at it I saw the 4WD light was on and the window on the dash where the 4 wheel drive indicator is was gone. I turned the truck off after it idling for a little bit and it struggled to start. but came on with full power and the 4wd indicator was working the 4wd light was also off. now on the trip back its ran fine. until it didn't. i felt the truck jump as if the transmission slipped. then we were back to no power mode I pulled over to restart it and see what happened and it struggled to start again. but finally started. and i was not able to get the full power back. mind you we drove to this point with the over drive off again. I had to limp it to the house where we unhooked the trailer. and i un hooked the battery for a few minutes. I turned it back on and it still struggled to start with the A/c on. I let it sit and run for a bit shut it off again and turned it back on and that didnt help. after doing this a few times it eventually came back to full power mode. and I haven't had an issue with it again of course i haven't pulled anything with it since.

any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Suggestion: Read the manual and learn what Overdrive is for because you totally used it wrong.
You only turn Overdrive off when the vehicle is constantly swapping between two gears (like on a long hill ascent).
By turning Overdrive to "OFF" you basically drove 65-80mph towing a load in 4th gear the whole time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Plug it into an OBD II Scan Tool & see if any Diagnostic Trouble Codes, (DTC), are stored in the Transmission Control Module, (TCM)..?????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts