Nissan Frontier Forum banner

lil Red with a problem

867 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cybereclipse 
#1 ·
Hello Club Frontier, I have a 2000 lil Red standard cab four banger manual shift with 285,000 miles mostly commuting since bought new.

The reason I signed up is to ask advice on a problem that just happened. I parked as usual but truck wouldn't start. Just a crazy birdlike chirping and faint half buzz from the buzzer. Was able to roll start that time and drove home without any issues. Tried to restart and nothing. No horn, lights, or anything but that shrill tone when the ignition key is turned to start. So yesterday I took apart all the ground connections from the battery to the fenderwell to the engine block and cleaned and dielectric treated them all. Battery is like new with 12.8 volts and load tested fine. I'm starting to think it is the ignition switch or some fusible link. Any advice? I'll try to make a help thread but don't be shy to respond here. Thank you, lil Red

#2 ·
Welcome to the Club Frontier forums. Hopefully some folks will have some answers for you. You sure do drive a bunch. >31,000 miles a year. Road warrior at heart. :)

--Follow us on Twitter @NissanWarranty
--Have you checked your Nissan Recalls lately?
--Do you "really" know your Nissan Factory Warranty?

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm still working on my problem.

Update; Pulled the starter and had it tested. It was a bit slow but functioned fine and passed the inspection at O'Riellys. Since it was still the original w/ 285,000 miles I went ahead and bought the reman unit and installed it. I just couldn't see putting a 285,000 mile starter back on. But I should have. Still had the same problem. Wouldn't start but the "clicking" sounds were more audible now. Hmmmm?

Then I rolled it back out of the garage to see if it would roll start and it fired right up. Very frustrating. Drove it back into the garage, killed it, and nothing.

About an hour later the wife comes in screaming that the truck is on fire. OMG!!! Well it wasn't a fire but there was smoke coming out of the alternator. Good grief, now what???? I had sprayed Engine Gunk degreaser and rinsed everything off the previous day to make it easier to work on. But it had just ran enough to thoroughly warm up and seemed fine except for NOT starting. Well, before she sprayed it down with PurpleK I got the positive batt cable off and cooled down the alt with water to prevent it from catching on fire. I'm not sure if that was due to the degreasing or some electrical gremlin. Anyway I pulled the alternator and the ignition switch last night. Awaiting those parts to see where I stand now.

Any more advice?

#6 · (Edited)
holy crap, im having problems with my truck, but nothing like THAT!

clicking sounds could be the effect of corroded battery terminals, a dead battery, or bad starter solenoid contacts.
I would suggest taking the battery out of your wifes car, or using a different battery you have lying around to start the truck with and see what happens, you're probably gonna need a new alternator anyway :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.