Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago my 2014 Frontier Pro4x4 was sitting in my drive and took a lightning strike. It hit the top back corner of the cab, blew the left front tire and blew a 6 inch hole in the concrete of my drive. The insurance company had it towed to the local Nissan dealership. They have replace most all processing units on the truck including the one or one's controlling the airbags. Every time they replace one thing the next thing down the line shows bad.

I love the truck but I'm wondering if I can ever trust it again. Other than electrical, should I need to worry about anything mechanical?

Keep it or trade it?

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I would only think electrical items would be affected, like the alternator or starter, as far as mechanical items. I can't see where it would affect any body, steering or suspension parts.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yep - Electrical only.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Nope .... I would never trust it again. If the problems are electrical would they not also include wiring, and anything else related to the electrical items?
Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is the coolest thread ever. Did anything catch fire? Pics?

Generally, when a wire is exposed to too much electricity, it heats up. That can cause it to melt or burn and then short out. They'd likely have to rewire a lot of the truck, which could end up costing too much. Your insurance company may still write it off...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am worried that I can't trust it and things will start showing up later. They wouldn't replace the wiring harness because no shorts are showing at this moment. However, I'm afraid they will at some point. I also think there could be a possibility that a bearing or bearings could have gotten arched.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
I would put this under the same as a flood car. It may be fixed now, but, with the sudden electrical current, who knows what wires, connections, plugs, were affected and will give you issues down the road. If it were my truck, I'd trade it is, even taking the hit if the repairs are showing on carfax.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The wiring itself should be fine. Even the starter is will be fine. The electrical zap blew around the body/chassis. Now the electronics will all be zapped. That stuff is sensitive. None of that got a direct hit, basically a giant static electric zap took them out.

You are not the first to get hit by lightening. From what I have heard it is just replace all the modules, the one tire that blew out (that is actually common to loose a tire on a lightening hit) and it is fine.

But you are always going to have doubts. That is human nature. So you have a couple choices. Either just drive it and let your confidence build back up, or trade it in and take your chances with the next one. Will a couple of problems creep up later? Probably. Will problems creep up later if it hadn't been hit? Yes, they would. It is a vehicle, they age and have problems. Will you blame them on the lightening hit? Probably. Would they have happened anyway? Probably so. If something was really hurt it is going to show up in the next couple of months of use or else it wasn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Aren't lightning strikes potentially hotter than the Sun?

I doubt I could ever trust it again. Electronics are the brain and nervous system...now fried.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm due to pick it up from the service center on Wednesday. I'm going to check everything that is electronically controlled that I can check, 4wd, radio, CD, bluetooth, heated seats (this will be hard this time of the year in the deep south), climate control system, etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,412 Posts
I'd make the insurance company put in writing that all electrical issues will be covered under this claim in the future. Too many potential for grief lay ahead. The truck needed get toasted.

Clint

Reactions: Drumminchick

·
Registered
181 Posts
Look real carefully at the front suspension too....I'd look for arches and burnt paint in the suspension anywhere voltage had to cross a bushing to get to the tire....I'd also make sure they check them wheel bearings.

Also, if the truck has a touch screen I wouldn't accept it back without a new one.

You realize your Nissan Warranty just went up in smoke right?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I would get ride of it, try to get the insurance to total it

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

If not, trade it off, to many issues, battery,wiring, fuse box, lights, switches, door locks and so on

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts