Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize in advance if I have reiterated this topic as I am new to the forum. Hello everyone, great website. I guess this seems rather insane but I was wondering if it were possible to convert the 9007 series bulb to a 9003 somehow. Aside from the 9004, 9007 is the worst source of light output. I'm just curious because the 9003 has more options as far as overwattage bulbs (eg. OSRAM Rallye). Also, even a factory wattage 9003 can emit much more light (eg 9007 best iv'e seen 1000lum lo 55w/ 1400lum hi 65w ) (9003 best I've seen 1175lum lo 55w / 1900lum hi 60w) If this is unrealistic, how would I get more light out of the frontier without adding aftermarket lighting sources. HID Conversion kits are out of the question, beam pattern is terrible. Aftermarket projectors look disgusting and I've read they emit a horrendous beam pattern. I've also tried multiple bulbs finally settling on a cheap set a xtra visions.

Also I hear RAVES about Philips X-treme power bulbs being the best, but absolutely no evidence to suggest this. I've search the internet for hours and still haven't found the luminosity of the X-treme power. What is the luminosity for 9007?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Have you done the "headlight mod" where you raise the headlight aim up a few degrees?

IMHO, dual filament bulbs give a tad less output than headlights with separate hi/low bulbs. Why? I can't say. I have a theory about the unlit filament absorbing heat from the lit one, but that's all speculation.

Be careful about the 'overwattage' bulbs - I think someone on here melted their connectors and had to replace them because of that.

I agree with you on the HID conversion and projector replacements.

I would suggest you complete the headlight mod (search) and throw in a set of sylvania silverstars or the philips x-treme power as you mentioned. I have the silverstars and the difference between the standard bulbs and the silverstars is night and day.

Philips doesn't publish the luminosity of their bulbs as far as I can find on the website. Sylvania does for most. I can't imagine the difference is much if anything. Philips and Sylvania are highly competitive in all areas of lighting and probably match eachother's performance. Both are high quality - can't go wrong choosing either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Headlight Mod"

I have actually performed the headlight mod by adjusting my headlight upwards. Also I tried a set of silverstars and was disappointed to say the least. Silverstars are just Xtra visions with a trippy coating on it to give off that white light. Xtra visions actually have a higher luminosity than the silverstars because it lacks the coating. I've also tried PIAA Plasma GTX, which are junk. They emit absolutely no pink/purple (which I don't want anyways) and actually appear dim. I also tried HID despite all the information against it. Lasted about 20 minutes. Everyone coming at me or in front of me complained they couldn't see it was so bright, but from my perspective it was like driving with sunglasses on. The beam was so unfocused that I couldn't see anything.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Well, to be bluntly honest, I'm not sure I can help you with this much further. It seems all of the top quality aftermarket headlight bulbs don't meet your lofty expectations - the same top quality bulbs that many members of this forum are very pleased with.

If you are having that much trouble seeing at night I would suggest getting your vision checked.

If you have the factory fogs you could modify them to come on with your low beams - there's a write up on that. If you don't have them it's not difficult to put them in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess you can't

Well it was worth a try. I fail to see how my expectations are lofty. I'm not expecting anything beyond what a 9007 can produce, hence why I was inquiring about a 9003 series modification in its place, that's all. People drive in different geographic regions. I drive on back wooded roads with no street lights and lots of critters. I wasn't trying to belittle your advise and apologize if I did so. I merely just want more light is all. I assume the only way for this to become a reality is to add a bunch of aftermarket light sources.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
no need to apologize - sometimes frustration can be common with frontiers.

I am guessing on these unlit backwoods roads you are already using your hi beams most of the time?

The only other thing I can think of which may help you out is a front bumper light bar with two really good DOT cert driving lights. I think in most states the number of headlights (or white front lights) can't exceed four. So if you are going to have two extra headlights might as well make them good ones that won't get you introuble with the law.

Also it's not that I don't want to help you further its only that we are pretty limited as far as improving our headlights - the aftermarket HIDs and projectors, as you already know, aren't that wonderful.

P.S. Sorry to imply you have bad vision.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Id say just get a light bar and put some kc's or hella on there to brighten up the front. You could try a projector retrofit which a few members on here have done. Basically using the projector from a new car and installing it into our housing, that way you get good light pattern, a nice beam, and you dont get the scatter with a straight hid conversion.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think the best option is a combination of stuff.

1. Aim headlights up slightly
2. Aim foglights up slightly
3. Replace bulbs with Phillips Xtreme power.
4. Perform fog light mod so they're on with both low and Hi beams.

I've done all but replace my bulbs and the lights are decent now. Still not as good as my wifes Rav4 which has the best non-hid lights I've ever seen but much improved over stock.

When I aimed my lights up I just kept going up in small increments every few days until people started brighting me then I turned them down 1/4 turn from there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lights

Sorry to reintroduce this outdated post but the few who shared the appreciated input have swayed me to buy a light bar and multiple sets of lights. I bought a bull bar and installed Hella 500FF lights on the bar and custom fit PIAA 940 Dual Beams parallel with the headlights and mounted them to the steel inside the upper grill (on 01-04 Frontiers). I also installed 100watt bulbs in the PIAA since the wiring harness can handles the extra wattage (contacted PIAA and they gave me the go ahead) in the pencil beam side. Lighting is what I was looking for. Thank you for your input. It also looks amazing and the light output is incredible...I can actually see at night now on these rural roadways.

·
Registered
9 Posts
headlight troubles

i was one here the other night playing, trying to decide what im going to do next. i came across a headlight mod where you raise your headlights by turning a screw, i absolutely cannot find that thread anymore. Can anyone let me know where i might find this thread if not how i adjust them up and if so pics of what im adjusting

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just look at the back of your headlights, you'll see the adjustment screw if you look down from the top. Turn it to adjust the lights up and down. It's not a "mod", it's a factory adjustment that every car has.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I apologize in advance if I have reiterated this topic as I am new to the forum. Hello everyone, great website. I guess this seems rather insane but I was wondering if it were possible to convert the 9007 series bulb to a 9003 somehow. Aside from the 9004, 9007 is the worst source of light output. I'm just curious because the 9003 has more options as far as overwattage bulbs (eg. OSRAM Rallye). Also, even a factory wattage 9003 can emit much more light (eg 9007 best iv'e seen 1000lum lo 55w/ 1400lum hi 65w ) (9003 best I've seen 1175lum lo 55w / 1900lum hi 60w) If this is unrealistic, how would I get more light out of the frontier without adding aftermarket lighting sources. HID Conversion kits are out of the question, beam pattern is terrible. Aftermarket projectors look disgusting and I've read they emit a horrendous beam pattern. I've also tried multiple bulbs finally settling on a cheap set a xtra visions.

Also I hear RAVES about Philips X-treme power bulbs being the best, but absolutely no evidence to suggest this. I've search the internet for hours and still haven't found the luminosity of the X-treme power. What is the luminosity for 9007?
Do you take every thing you read on the inter web as gossple?

The "horrendous beam pattern" you speak of is only noticed when your 5 feet from a wall. I would be willing to bet a pay check that my head lights are brighter, and wider then any thing you can put in your stock head lights.

You CANT have your cake, and eat it too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would agree with Jordo, my projectors had a great beam pattern, wide with great cutoff, and really put the light down the road. I've since taken them off (Couldn't get used to the look), but I didn't have any complaints about the performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts