Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to improve the lighting on my '17 SV. Here's the plan:

- I almost always have the fog lights on with the low beams because I like the way they light the sides of the road.
So I'll rewire the fogs to always turn on with the low beams. I'll need to locate all tht wiring and do some splicing. I assume the fogs already have a relay
but if not I'll add one.

- I want better high beams, so I have a set of Hella FF 75 driving lights on order. I can use the fog lamp switch to energize the driving light relay.
OR I may wire them to always turn on with the high beams, through the relay of course.

Any flaws with this idea?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm not sure anything really needs to be done with the fog light wiring. If you turn them on on the stalk, they're always on with the low beams. So that's one less step.

For the driving lights, wiring that into the highbeam is a great idea. The only issue I see with that is when flashing for someone to go etc. But that might not be a big deal they'll just get some extra light.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Like Foggy said no need to rewire for the fogs. If you really want the better highs that bad I would just go with a set of retrofits from hidprojectors.com

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Tapping into your high beam is a better idea than using the fog light switch. You can use the stock dimmer rather than fumbling for the fog light switch when there is on coming traffic.
Wired with a relay and a separate switch that will deactivate the driving lights.
That is the way I have always set-up on my street trucks.
My Nissan, no. Lights are on separate switches.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
well one cool thing about wiring the fogs on, it would be cool to re-use the fog switch on the stalk for something like a light bar or your driving lights instead. keep in mind some states its not even legal to drive with fog lights on IIRC. check out the DD fog bulbs, big improvement over the stock light, there is a thread somewhere with a picture, looks killer.
post up some pics of the install!

·
Registered
348 Posts
well one cool thing about wiring the fogs on, it would be cool to re-use the fog switch on the stalk for something like a light bar or your driving lights instead. keep in mind some states its not even legal to drive with fog lights on IIRC. check out the DD fog bulbs, big improvement over the stock light, there is a thread somewhere with a picture, looks killer.
post up some pics of the install!
The DD fog bulbs are pretty awesome, I have a couple pics with them. Such an easy mod for more fog light output. I didn't want to be the first to suggest it, people are gonna start thinking I'm a plant :nerd:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, great replies. I didn't think about just leaving the fog switch on, so they're always on with the low beams. Duh, and thanks!

The wiring diagrams for the Hellas show two ways to wire them. One with the driving lights always coming on with the high beams, and one with a separate switch added, so when that's switched on, they come on with the high beams. I'll probably use the second method.

Great advice, appreciated.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Are you planning on running a set of driving lights, fogs, and lows at the same time. That is a legal no no and will get you pulled over pretty quick. Basically you can run an extra pair of lights when the low beams are on and no extra set of lights with the high beam. No more than 2 pairs of lights anytime.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The DD fog bulbs are pretty awesome, I have a couple pics with them. Such an easy mod for more fog light output. I didn't want to be the first to suggest it, people are gonna start thinking I'm a plant :nerd:
Yeah, I'll check those out too!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you planning on running a set of driving lights, fogs, and lows at the same time. That is a legal no no and will get you pulled over pretty quick. Basically you can run an extra pair of lights when the low beams are on and no extra set of lights with the high beam. No more than 2 pairs of lights anytime.
No, definitely not everything all the time! Just the fogs always on with the low beams, and the driving lights optionally switched on with the high beams.

We're in a rural area and a lot of driving is on dark roads with little oncoming traffic. Edges of the road are hard to see, and the stock high beams suck for distances. Plus my eyes ain't what they used to be,

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
when i'm ready for aux lights i'll probably go for these.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss6-stage-series-6-white-light-bar-one.html

"Not just off road! In six-inch size, when installed as a pair and aimed in accordance with your state's regulations, the Driving pattern meets SAE J581 as a Driving/Auxiliary High Beam Light, and the Wide pattern meets SAE J583 as a Foglamp, for legal on-road use. "

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
No, definitely not everything all the time! Just the fogs always on with the low beams, and the driving lights optionally switched on with the high beams.

We're in a rural area and a lot of driving is on dark roads with little oncoming traffic. Edges of the road are hard to see, and the stock high beams suck for distances. Plus my eyes ain't what they used to be,
I still wouldn't link my high beams to my driving lights. I agree with you as far as the stock highs sucking, so I do not use them when I need FULL lighting. What I find to be the best light spread is low beams, fogs, and a set of spot lights pointed high and slightly out. I use to use a set of KC daylighter 150 watt pencil beams. But those burned out and now I use a 100 watt generic 6" round spot light. I have a separate switch on the dash for my "offroad" lights. I have my offroad lights mounted front and center behind the grill.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I got a fix it ticket on my Dodge for not having them covered. I told the hiway patrol officer that they were on a separate switch to activate them. Still got a ticket.
If you take out the fuse, you can then run uncovered light.
Forgot to mention, my driving lights are illegal to use in California on the streets and hiway.
Just use them in Mexico and off road.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I got a fix it ticket on my Dodge for not having them covered. I told the hiway patrol officer that they were on a separate switch to activate them. Still got a ticket.
If you take out the fuse, you can then run uncovered light.
Forgot to mention, my driving lights are illegal to use in California on the streets and hiway.
Just use them in Mexico and off road.
So far I have not had any issues with the law and my lights being uncovered. I still have at least one Old school KC light cover hanging on the wall in my garage. But as you can see I can not easily install them. Maybe that fact will gain my some leeway. Good to know about the fuse. At least I can "claim" I have the fuse removed. In my area every other truck/jeep/SUV has a huge light bar with uncovered lights, and no one seems to be pulled over. I think mine are low key enough in comparison to avoid issue.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I have not have had a problem having them uncovered since.
I forgot to mention I was stopped for speeding and then nailed for the lights.
If it wasn’t for that, I would probably never been hassled.
Good part, no speeding ticket.
I uncovered them because they held moisture. The covers are somewhere in the truck.
They are only 55 watt Piaas.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
that's a really interesting law, requiring them to be covered. i guess they want to make sure you don't use them on the street. what about LED bars? i've not seen covers for those...

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Just checked the Ca. DMV code.
Said lights must be on a separate electrical system.
Must be covered when on the highway.
Probably need to take out the fuse to be safe with a light bar.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
I want to improve the lighting on my '17 SV. Here's the plan:

- I almost always have the fog lights on with the low beams because I like the way they light the sides of the road.
So I'll rewire the fogs to always turn on with the low beams. I'll need to locate all tht wiring and do some splicing. I assume the fogs already have a relay
but if not I'll add one.

- I want better high beams, so I have a set of Hella FF 75 driving lights on order. I can use the fog lamp switch to energize the driving light relay.
OR I may wire them to always turn on with the high beams, through the relay of course.

Any flaws with this idea?
Yeah, why not just add a pair of driving lights with a relay connected to the high beam only? The rest leave as is - it already works, you can already make it work how you want it without doing unnecessary rewiring.

Or upgrade the factory fogs to something that throws more light on the road. Morimotos are an option. Rigids (like mine) are even better:

Just checked the Ca. DMV code.
Said lights must be on a separate electrical system.
Must be covered when on the highway.
Probably need to take out the fuse to be safe with a light bar.
#1 rule I always remember for CA is no more than 4 main lights on at a time.

Just because you've "never had a problem" with uncovered aux. lighting, doesn't mean you can't get ticketed for it. That's like saying "well most people drive around 80mph on the freeway" - if the posted speed limit is 65mph, you can get pulled over.

I have a pair of 6.5" PIAAs on the front of my bumper, and I live 2 blocks away from the Sheriff's station. I see cops all the time on my commute, pretty sure they see me too. Granted, technically my lamps are "covered" but it's the PIAA grille, not a full cover. But I never use the PIAAs unless I'm driving the mountain backroads.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Never need to use my Piaas here, just in Mexico and off road.
I had the Piaa covers on but they still ticketed me.
Don’t really need them in the winding ,hilly parts in Mexico either.
Just where it is fast and straight.
At speed you will hit it before you see it and was one reason I ran spots. The Piaa driving lights work fine.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
There's some curvy roads I drive on occasion, with no street lamps or road/side reflectors. At "non-racing like whistler" speeds (heh) the PIAAs help to see the road layout ahead, if there's an upcoming curve, etc.

In the city my stock headlamps and the Rigids are more than enough to see what I need to see

1 - 20 of 30 Posts