Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone through sticky's spoke to some very knowledgeable people on this site and I'm still at a loss. Here is what I will get getting 4" Spindle/Bilstein set at 2"....for the rear Deaver AAL's/Bilstein 5125's/PRG ADJ Shackles. Some of this is already on there but my goal is to set at 6" in the front and 4" in the rear. I do not plan to off road just looking for the height. My question is to anyone who would like to chime in on tire size and regearing. I was wanting to get 16x8 rims.....the tire size i'd like it 315/75/16....I think i'd have to regear it to at least 4.10's. What are some other size tires and options that would work with or without regearing?

·
Registered
271 Posts
285/75/16s seem to be very popular on a frontier. I just installed some bf KO2S in that size with a lift spindle and a 2 inch block with stock sv rims. Love how they ride and the truck handles then good. I have noticed that the get up and go kinda went away a bit when I went from a 265 to a 285 but love these tires. Posted pics to help the idea

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
With 35"s you'll probably still need to do some trimming even at 6". The rear will be fine, but the front will rub on compression and turning, especially if you don't use factory rims.

About the gearing, do you have a manual 4 banger? If so they have a 4.10 rear end I believe and that may be ok on 35s. Otherwise it is recommend to regear, but if you don't plan on off roading you probably don't need to worry about breaking anything. The truck will feel sluggish without a regear though. Just going from 32s to 33s was a noticeable difference for me. Some common upsizes that guys run are 285-75-16 / 285-70-17 (both are about 32.8") or 255 85 16 (33.2", tall skinny). You should be able to clear any of those with pretty much no trimming. A somewhat less common size that you might want to consider is a 295-75-16 (34"), may be a good compromise on size vs effect on gearing and amount of trimming.

The suspension setup sounds pretty good, my only suggestion would drop the Bisteins down to 1-1.5" and use a small spacer to gain back the lift you want. The ride will be much better if you do this as 5100s don't like a lot of preload on the springs. The rear will last a couple of years before it starts to sag badly with the setup you proposed. Depending on how many miles you have on the truck currently you might not get the 4" you want. A full leaf pack replacement would be the best choice if you can swing it. If you are on a budget, a frankenpack built from Frontier and Xterra leafs can also get you the 4" you want for free/ very cheap.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Good advice. Also larger tires will diminish your trucks braking power somewhat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice guys thank you. I think I changed my mind with the tire size...I'm gonna go with 285/75/17's and 4.10 gears. When my brakes get bad I am going to look up bigger rotor/brake sets or find something like Wilwood/Brembo for better stopping. A special thanks to Whistler for all the honest and good advice since day one....you're a smart dude...obviously look at your truck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts