Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a short guy & I hang my mtb off the tailgate. Therefor I’m not wanting a lift. However I would like to get a leveling kit in the front. Can I run 285/70R17 without issues?

·
Registered
894 Posts
You can run the 285/70/17's with just a leveling kit but you're gonna have to do some melting and/or cutting of the fender well area to make it happen. That's assuming that you are running wheels with offsets similar to stock wheels.

Take a read through these two stickies and they'll teach you alot about leveling, lifting and tire sizes...

Reactions: MorseCody

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
A leveling kit is a marketing term for a small lift in the front and non in the back. Doesn't make much of a difference with or without the lift you will still rub slightly running 285/70r17. Typically to run that size you remove the mudflap and the front air dam, then melt and push back a small section of the wheel well linear. You can run 275/70r17 without and rubbing issues.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A leveling kit is a marketing term for a small lift in the front and non in the back. Doesn't make much of a difference with or without the lift you will still rub slightly running 285/70r17. Typically to run that size you remove the mudflap and the front air dam, then melt and push back a small section of the wheel well linear. You can run 275/70r17 without and rubbing issues.
Actually, a leveling kit also has rear lift. In order to level, you also have to raise a bit on the rear. Of course you can always buy something to only lift the front, but that won't leave the truck leveled. Leveling kits include components to lift both the front and the rear. The factory rake is about .5" which means that if you just put a lift on the front (2"-2.5"), you'd end up with a squatted stance.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Actually, a leveling kit also has rear lift. In order to level, you also have to raise a bit on the rear. Of course you can always buy something to only lift the front, but that won't leave the truck leveled. Leveling kits include components to lift both the front and the rear. The factory rake is about .5" which means that if you just put a lift on the front (2"-2.5"), you'd end up with a squatted stance.
If you look at the factory service manuals the rake is slightly more than 1” for the CC short bed, so a true level would be just a 1” lift in the front And nothing in the back.
Rectangle Font Material property Music Parallel

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have a '22 Pro-4X and was told that the rake on it is .5". Figured they were all the same. Could be wrong!
Sorry, that info I posted was for 2nd gen. You should measure the height of the front and rear fender arches to see what yours measures before you lift it.

Reactions: lrod1707
1 - 8 of 8 Posts