Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has all been covered before somewhere, but I haven't found any exact answers. Post links to any threads or anything that might help me out if you don't feel like explaining any of this.

I have a stock sv 4x4 cc and I want to lift it a little. Mainly for aesthetics, as I don't do any serious offroading. I am looking at a 2" spacer for the front and either a 1.5" shackle or block in the rear.

1) From what I have read, a 2" spacer in the front does not require any other parts or modifications besides camber bolts. Is this correct?

2) Eventually I would like to add airbags to the rear, are blocks or shackles compatible with airbags?

3) I know blocks and shackles will wear out the leaf springs faster. From what I've read that's the only con with them for a 1.5" lift anyways. Is one better than the other for 1.5" of lift?

4) Will this set the truck about level? Doesn't have to be dead level, just don't want the front higher than the rear w/o a load.

Sorry for the nooby questions, I'm new to the whole lift thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read them, didn't see anything pertaining to the airbags with shackles or blocks, from pictures I've seen blocks look like they aren't an issue with airbags but I'm not sure about shackles.

Also it says lifts OVER 2" MAY require camber bolts, so does a 2" lift need them?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've read them, didn't see anything pertaining to the airbags with shackles or blocks, from pictures I've seen blocks look like they aren't an issue with airbags but I'm not sure about shackles.

Also it says lifts OVER 2" MAY require camber bolts, so does a 2" lift need them?
I have the 2 inch front lift and 1.5 inch rear blocks on my 2013. You definitely need the camber bolts on the front with the 2 inch lift if you want proper front end alignment.

Reactions: waric

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have blocks & bags in the back. The blocks seamed to be the easiest way to lift the back while still being able to haul varied loads. With the bed full of camping gear, 4 bodies in the cab & the popup hitched on, additional support was mandatory. I like trees but I don't need to see the tops of them while loaded to max GVWR at night, specially in deer country!! It was all bolt in, no fabricating spacers for the bag brackets as would be required with AAL or shackles. Mine sits + .5" in the rear as built, canopy installed. Welcome, congrats on your new ride BTW

Reactions: waric

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Don't know your trucks info, you should put it in your sig. My 2011 has 2" spacers up front and did not need camber bolts. I would buy them, get it aligned and install if needed then return if you dont.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Don't know your trucks info, you should put it in your sig. My 2011 has 2" spacers up front and did not need camber bolts. I would buy them, get it aligned and install if needed then return if you dont.
What year did they stop putting the adjustable camber bolts in from the OE build?

I just installed 2" spacers on my 16 and have not yet had the chance to get the alignment checked.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2013 black sv 4x4 4.0 v6 auto crew cab short bed, am I missing anything important there?

I did put it in the sig...idk what happened. I'll add it again when I get on a computer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
1) From what I have read, a 2" spacer in the front does not require any other parts or modifications besides camber bolts. Is this correct?
I think you and have likely read the same info here and there... My take on it which could be entirely wrong is that with 2" or less you may or may not need to add camber bolts as that 2" is likely to only cause half a degree or less change in camber to which you may or may not still be within spec... Honestly I can not tell one bit that I've installed a 2" lift in the way it drives, we did a 1,200 plus mile round trip the day after the install...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just installed this kit a couple months back. PRG Products Great kit easy to install. As easy as pulling apart a leaf pack and putting it back together can be..... :)

As for the camber bolts. yes I got them as well and installed them and had a dealership do the alignment. Didn't want to burn any tires off.

I like the add-a-leaf better than blocks or shackles. I've run both on 4x4's in the past. Shackles spread the leaf out and don't give true lift along with making the truck not carry weight as well, I tend to overload it a lot..... Last load was about 4,000 lbs of floor tile....

Blocks can slip out under extreme load / torque. Just need to make sure you torque the u-bolts down properly and actually get under there and re-torque them periodically.

Adding air bags for load leveling would be simplest on blocks I think. Due to the simple nature of the blocks you can add a similar amount of "blocking" to one end of the air bag mount. I've sold tons of air bags back in my day working at Summit Racing. But I have yet to put any on a personal truck. I've worked on them on semi trucks but that's a bit different.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
What year did they stop putting the adjustable camber bolts in from the OE build?
'06+ need the adj cam bolts. Nissan 'found' that stock, adj cams were unnecessary expense for them.

For a 1"-2" lift you Can get by without cam bolts, but its teh difference of being "in the green" (but near the limit) or having the alignment right on. You'll have more tire wear (especially with wider than stock or aggressive tread) than if you get the bolts and set your camber&caster right. More caster is better for straight-line stability, 0 camber is best for traction and tire wear.

Bolts are available for $50 - $100. Honestly I don't know what the difference is as long as they are quality. Nisstec has a set for $50, OEM is $100, there are others out there too. Some folk have complained of the style with the flat spot on the bolt (like the SPC) allowed the washer to rotate on the bolt, but I question if they loosened the nut enough to make the adjustment...
Even if you shoot the moon & get the OEM its money well spent.

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
I'm sure this has all been covered before somewhere, but I haven't found any exact answers. Post links to any threads or anything that might help me out if you don't feel like explaining any of this.

I have a stock sv 4x4 cc and I want to lift it a little. Mainly for aesthetics, as I don't do any serious offroading. I am looking at a 2" spacer for the front and either a 1.5" shackle or block in the rear.

2) Eventually I would like to add airbags to the rear, are blocks or shackles compatible with airbags?

3) I know blocks and shackles will wear out the leaf springs faster. From what I've read that's the only con with them for a 1.5" lift anyways. Is one better than the other for 1.5" of lift?

4) Will this set the truck about level? Doesn't have to be dead level, just don't want the front higher than the rear w/o a load.

Sorry for the nooby questions, I'm new to the whole lift thing.
1. If you read the suspension sticky, then you have your answer - you don't "need" any other parts besides the recommended camber bolts if your truck didn't come with them from the factory.

2. IIRC airbags go between the leaf and chassis rail, whereas blocks go underneath. A few members here run both.

3. AAL is the way to go, or full leaf pack. Block or shackle (when using the OEM leaves) is the cheapo way IMO.

4. Generally having the front 0.5" higher through a lift kit will bring the Frontier pretty level, unless you have a Pro-4X.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Add a leaf makes the truck ride a lot stiffer though right? I don't tow or haul often enough to need a stiffer rear end

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not that I have noticed. The empty ride didn't change from what I can tell in the drivers seat. The spring pack is taller but the rates remain close to the same. You remove the factory overload spring (the thick flat one on the bottom of the stack) and replace it with the add-a-leaf.

It does ride a ton better with some camping gear in the bed and/or with a trailer attached.

·
Premium Member
6,668 Posts
Add a leaf makes the truck ride a lot stiffer though right? I don't tow or haul often enough to need a stiffer rear end

AAL (removed overload spring) Feels fine to me, the front suspension makes more of a difference comfort-wise IMO. Plus I rarely haul, if I do it's usually just a mountain bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've never researched the aal, always thought you literally just added another leaf lol. I'll look into that now.

So the aal will raise the rear about 1.5"? What brands do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ordered my 2 - 1.5 lift from [email protected] last week. Assuming it should be at the post office when I head home from work today. I got the camber bolts without question as I intend down the road (like everyone else) to do a titan swap. Can't help but toss out that Greg was very helpful in his advice and assistance. Really appreciate someone out there dedicated to our platform like that when we all live in a Jeep and trashota world.

I find it funny that on 2 camber bolt videos I watched last week, they put the bolts on the UCA not the LCA. Not sure if that is platform or brand specific or if there are certain advantages/disadvantages to making the upper or lower your adjustment point. Someone in the business of working on these vehicles could probably shine a light on that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've never researched the aal, always thought you literally just added another leaf lol. I'll look into that now.

So the aal will raise the rear about 1.5"? What brands do you guys recommend?

These are Deaver ones that I run. PRG Products

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just looked at the prg site, they have single aal that is 1.5"

Would the aal be a remedy for sagging leafs as well?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts