Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I bought a 2017 Frontier SV 4x4 after I got rid of my 08 Pathfinder. I didn't really modify the SUV but I do want to lift and put a nice set of wheels on my truck. I don't intend on taking it anywhere crazy so I don't know if the suspension lift would be worth it but I would like to take it to the beach and easy off road trails. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Last week I bought a 2017 Frontier SV 4x4 after I got rid of my 08 Pathfinder. I didn't really modify the SUV but I do want to lift and put a nice set of wheels on my truck. I don't intend on taking it anywhere crazy so I don't know if the suspension lift would be worth it but I would like to take it to the beach and easy off road trails. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
If your gonna do anything other then drive on a flat road. I would do the leveling kit. If you even plan on going over speed bumps I'd suggest coil overs as you will end up getting them eventually anyways.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the same new truck and I put on a 2" spacer in front and 1.5" shackles out back. I hit the coil buckets every now and then on the biggest bumps and railroad tracks. If you are just going to the beach and doing just slow speed stuff then spacers are ok if you take it slow. However if you want full capability and want to go faster than I would recommend stepping up to some better shocks and/or coilovers along with some better upper control arms.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I put on Bilstein 5100s adjusted up to 2" on front. Settled down to about 1.75". I have 1.5" blocks in the rear with 5100s as well. Still a very slight rake but no where near factory. No change in ride really and no worries of coil bucket contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put on Bilstein 5100s adjusted up to 2" on front. Settled down to about 1.75". I have 1.5" blocks in the rear with 5100s as well. Still a very slight rake but no where near factory. No change in ride really and no worries of coil bucket contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
About how much did all of that cost?

·
Registered
190 Posts
'Bout $550 for all four shocks and the rear blocks/u bolts. Got it all from Nisstec. Then ordered factory cam bolts (aftermarkets are awful) from one of the Nissan parts places online. Don't remember the name right off. Was cheapest around by a long shot.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Bout $550 for all four shocks and the rear blocks/u bolts. Got it all from Nisstec. Then ordered factory cam bolts (aftermarkets are awful) from one of the Nissan parts places online. Don't remember the name right off. Was cheapest around by a long shot.
Cool, thank you that helps alot!

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Read this http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/updated-suspension-lifts-body-lifts-2005-please-read-before-posting-here-63966/#post925573

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Thanks raine. I didnt see this posting
No worries... it's kind of hard to notice considering there's way too many sticky threads to begin with

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I noticed on some websites for body kits, that they aren't available on the pro4x model.... why is that?

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I noticed on some websites for body kits, that they aren't available on the pro4x model.... why is that?
body kits? or leveling kits?

IIRC it's because the Pro 4X is slightly higher up front, if you put a leveling kit meant for non-Pro4X on a Pro4X, the front end will actually be higher than the back, not 'level'.

I'm sure a Pro-4x peep can confirm this for me.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
We know that your wheeling needs are minimal but a little more info would be helpful... What size tire do you want to run ? Also, does the factory rake bother you? Are you lifting for tire fitment or for a lifted look? The more info the better the advise will be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We know that your wheeling needs are minimal but a little more info would be helpful... What size tire do you want to run ? Also, does the factory rake bother you? Are you lifting for tire fitment or for a lifted look? The more info the better the advise will be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
I don't exactly know what a rake is, but my main reason for this is for the look. Maybe in the future I may take the truck and enhance its off road capabilities but there isn't much room in Hawaii to do it. More and more spots are requiring permits to go there and its becoming a hassle. As for the tires, I'm probably going to get near stock size, maybe a little bigger but with meatier treads. Hawaii also has recon laws so if the tire sticks out of the fender I need to put wider flares to make it "street legal"

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I don't exactly know what a rake is, but my main reason for this is for the look. Maybe in the future I may take the truck and enhance its off road capabilities but there isn't much room in Hawaii to do it. More and more spots are requiring permits to go there and its becoming a hassle. As for the tires, I'm probably going to get near stock size, maybe a little bigger but with meatier treads. Hawaii also has recon laws so if the tire sticks out of the fender I need to put wider flares to make it "street legal"
rake = front end lower than the rear end
squat = rear end lower than the front end
level = both ends equal height

As for tires, you can go 265/75-16 with zero mods on stock wheels
You can go 285/75-16 with minor modding on stock wheels, some have done 315 but it looks like a big donut on stock width wheels.

As soon as you throw aftermarket wheels on, the offset will determine if the tires stick beyond the fenders or stay under.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
315s are way too big for what I like. I'm most likely going to just do a leveling kit (2.5" in the front, 1.5" in the back) with maybe 285-16. I don't think it'll stick out too far

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
315s are way too big for what I like. I'm most likely going to just do a leveling kit (2.5" in the front, 1.5" in the back) with maybe 285-16. I don't think it'll stick out too far
2.5/1.5 is common, be aware you might get coil bucket contact, you might not. all of this is covered in the suspension sticky which I linked above, make sure you read it before considering any lift.

Also, on stock wheels 285/75-16 they shouldn't stick out. As for any mods required for a 285, it depends on your alignment... some had to do minor fender liner mods, some had to remove the rear splash guard, some say they had to do nothing at all.

Do yourself a favor and do a forum search for "285" and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Leveling kit is a marketing term. They are all lift kits.

The reason that the Pro 4x is often not listed as capable is because the yellow blistein that comes on that trim is longer than the stock black (takio?) shocks. If you add a 2" spacer you have the chance of bottoming out (crush) the shock at full compression. You will need to run a taller bottom out bump stop than stock. Only PRG's kit includes these bumps. Easier for the manufactures to simple state not compatible with pro4x.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Tokico? lol

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
The purpose of rake is so when towing or loading the bed the trucks levels out. Take that away and add weight then it will be nose high and the rear sags.

Clint

1 - 20 of 29 Posts