Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plain on getting a 2009 or 2010 nissian frontier or suzuki equator 4x4
i need to know why ppl are replacing the rear end an the front end with other nissian truck parts
also i plain on lifting it and want to know if it would be best to have a lift from fabtech or calmi or is there any other company that makes a lift that is good and can fit 33 thanks

·
Registered
874 Posts
People doing the Titan swap are getting more suspension travel, stability from it being wider, etc. the titan front diff is stronger than the frontiers and bolts right in.

As for the calmini and fabtech, look around the forum to see what others say. Some love it and some hate it, with those you dont gain much ground clearance and not really for serious offroading.

Welcome to the club, check out the suspension thread

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
People that have the C200K rear are switching to the M226 rear because that is one with the the locker.
People that have removed the R180 front diff and installed the M205 since the M205 is lager and stronger.

With any lift you can fit 33's. If you want lager then a 33 then go with Fabtech or Calmini. If you want to stay at 33's then get some coilovers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
instead of getting coilovers would just puting a spacer on them work.
now how weak are the front diff. over the stock one. and also how big of tire can u put on with the lift from fab or calimi. it says that it only can fit 33.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Are you going to wheel this truck?

I ask because if you go Calmini, then be prepared to spend major extra cash to get that kit to work right. I originally went with Calmini and spent another $1800 replacing the weak points on the Calmini stuff to gain more travel and clearance. I did not gain any clearance at the front diff with the Calmini kit and 33s.

Check out prgproducts.com for more suspension goodies for the nissan family. Unless you do a drop bracket kit (Calmini and Fabtech) you will only be able to lift the suspension 3 inches, then you will need to look into body lifts if you want to go higher.

now how weak are the front diff. over the stock one. and also how big of tire can u put on with the lift from fab or calimi. it says that it only can fit 33.
If you can afford them, I'd really think of doing coilovers over just a spacer. It was a HUGE improvement on my truck.

The R180 (stock frontier front diff) is the weakest point of the truck. The M205 is very stout.

33s is the optimal tire which is why so many of us run them. Some run 35s and get away with it while still using the R180, but not many. 35s will require a bit of trimming and melting to fit them. 33s even require trimming with the Calmini kit.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Don't be cheap.
Not that weak. Just lay off the skinny pedal.
With the Fabtech you can fit 35's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont want to be cheap either, just want to know what im going to be getting into. so ppl are saying that its kinda easy to break it. but i am getting a new truck so i should have to worry about it until the warrenty goes out i hope.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
35s will snap a m180 all day long on a the trail.

both the calmini and fagtech are mall crawler lifts and do now work well on the trail with out spending money on coil overs. your best options are Icon or PRG coils, or titan swap with coils

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does any one know if the titan front diff is alot of money. i know the junk yard would be a place to look just wondering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
oh k do u know if the titan is the only one that has that front diff.
and how good or reliable is the transfercase

and when they say use the titan arms does the coilovers have to be titan or the frontier

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Transfercase is fine, haven't heard of an issue yet.

You have to be certain as to what gears you have/will have when you are ready to do a M205 swap. There are only two Titan trims that have a front diff with 3.36 gears (4x4 autos have 3.36 in the Frontiers). There is a link that will explain all the gears, just look for it in the search function, I think it's called "what gears do I have".

Armadas and I think V8 Pathfinders have an M205 as well.

I haven't done a titan suspension swap so I'm not sure if frontier coilovers would attach to titan lower arms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh ok bc i will use the truck manily four wheeling in the sand im from south texas. u have the calimini lift right. would u know if some one goes to 35 will u need to change gears. and with just a body lift how big of tire can u get under neath

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
oh ok bc i will use the truck manily four wheeling in the sand im from south texas. u have the calimini lift right. would u know if some one goes to 35 will u need to change gears. and with just a body lift how big of tire can u get under neath
35s is about all you will get out of a 2nd gen. Even with a SL and BL. And that is still really pushing it. A SAS will be the only way to go larger than 35s, and unfortunately that won't happen.

You would not "need" to change the gears on 35s, but it is advised to do so. Hell, I want to change mine but they don't make after market gears for the R180, and the gears haven't been released for the titan M205 yet. I'm running 33s and the Calmini 5", with Radflo 2.5 coilovers. With just the Calmini kit I still had to cut the fenders, even then I still rubbed on the passenger side. Now I have about 8" lift up front and 7 or so in the rear and I can only clear 35s for on road use (I wouldn't have much articulation off road). 33s are a great tire size for these trucks. Someday I'd like to go 35s but there is more work to be done in order to utilize my suspension and 35s to their fullest potential (diff swap and gears, more fender cutting/melting).

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Doughboy has 6" fabtech Lift with 35s

H Town has 6" fabtech lift with 35's.

irishsaint has almost the same set-up as me and is running 35's

the007forum has a titan swap, 3" body lift and glass fenders.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I thought there was the option to run the M205 with V8 Pathfinder axles on our trucks as well. I would consider this for a down the road project if someone would come out with gears for our trucks. M205, V8 Pathy axles, coilovers, UCAs, True-trac in the rear, 33s, and gears would be perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bilstien adjustable vs. coilover?

Are you going to wheel this truck?

I ask because if you go Calmini, then be prepared to spend major extra cash to get that kit to work right. I originally went with Calmini and spent another $1800 replacing the weak points on the Calmini stuff to gain more travel and clearance. I did not gain any clearance at the front diff with the Calmini kit and 33s.

Check out prgproducts.com for more suspension goodies for the nissan family. Unless you do a drop bracket kit (Calmini and Fabtech) you will only be able to lift the suspension 3 inches, then you will need to look into body lifts if you want to go higher.

If you can afford them, I'd really think of doing coilovers over just a spacer. It was a HUGE improvement on my truck.

The R180 (stock frontier front diff) is the weakest point of the truck. The M205 is very stout.

33s is the optimal tire which is why so many of us run them. Some run 35s and get away with it while still using the R180, but not many. 35s will require a bit of trimming and melting to fit them. 33s even require trimming with the Calmini kit.
In your opinion, are Bilstein adjustables with 33s and factory springs a decent, affordable, alternative to coilovers? I use my truck for mostly street, but once or twice a week take it on dirt roads ( some of which are kinda rough :) ) to go fishing/hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I can't comment on the adjustable bils. I hear good things about them from a few members, and I do know they are much better than spacers.

PRG is going to release a cheaper coilover in the near future. It will be set up for use with stock UCAs. This would be a better alternative to adjustable bils, but will still be in the $500+ range. Sounds like the bils will suit your needs just fine though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts