Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't able to find anything using the search tool so hoping to get some input. Lift kit will be installed later this week or early next week.

This is the lift I bought:
Nisstec MK84 Extended Travel '05+ Frontier Kit
Nisstec MK84 Extended Travel '05+ Frontier Kit
Rear Lift: OME CS150R 1.5-2 inch Lift Leaf Pack
Rear Shocks: 5100 Ext Travel Bilsteins (2-2.5 inch lift)
Front Cam Bolt Kit: Yes
Upper Control Arms: SPC (Standard)
Front Coilover Spring Rate: 650 Med/HD

So once the kit is installed, as I understand it, I will need to get an alignment done. K, but is there anything else? This is new territory for me so any input is most appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
park your truck in a spot that you can park again after the lift

so we ncan see the before and after shots

also what tires do you have?
are they A/T or Mudders?
boy, oh, boy
I want a lift too but I gotta wait till I get a winning Lotto Ticket

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Contra,

Park your truck in a spot that you can park again after the lift - will do!

Tires will literally depend on shipping schedules cause both are ordered and the first ones I get will get put on first since I want to get offroad soon. I am weird and run A/T's most of the year since I do not do any serious 4x4ing more than a few times a year. But for those times when I do 4x4 I like to have more aggressive tires. I did this and my last set of mudders lasted me about 10 years. But here is what I will be running at one point or another

Most of the time - Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 285/75r16 - these were cheaper and have a higher mileage warranty than any all season tires I could find. So I figured why the hell not. :)
Some of the time - Goodyear MT/R 285/75r16

I feel your pain with want vs need for a lift. I have wanted a lift since I got my truck. Took me 13 years...

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Got a picture of the the rear leaf pack. Want close up of the mounting eye area. The description says military wrapped. But from the pictures I see on-line, only one eye is partially wrapped.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a picture of the the rear leaf pack. Want close up of the mounting eye area. The description says military wrapped. But from the pictures I see on-line, only one eye is partially wrapped.
Hey Nissan4Life,

I think I know what you mean. Will get pics posted after the install is done.

·
Registered
763 Posts
How do you like those coopers? I've been eyeing a set for when my stockers wear out, reviews I've seen are positive but none are for a fronty!

Also hell yeah! New lift kit! Looking forward to photos!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you like those coopers? I've been eyeing a set for when my stockers wear out, reviews I've seen are positive but none are for a fronty!

Also hell yeah! New lift kit! Looking forward to photos!
Haven't mounted the Coopers yet but I am optimistic. I don't think I have seen them on a fronty either. Apparently, the ones I am getting (the XLT version) are ideal for larger trucks. So will have to see.

Can't wait for the lift and bigger tires. I don't wheel too hard, but I like not having lower ground clearance than some AWD cars.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You'll most likely need to notch your coil buckets to clear the boots on the the SPCs. Otherwise, they'll rip the boots. Some people avoid this by not using the full adjusmtent capability of the UCA, but you'll be better served to just trim them.

The first image below is before notching, the second is after.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Nissan4Life,

Leaf springs have been delivered. Just so I am clear, you want a close up of what in the attached pic?

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also quick side question to anyone who did a lift. Did you keep the old components? I can't see downgrading back but was curious what you all have done.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Hey Nissan4Life,

Leaf springs have been delivered. Just so I am clear, you want a close up of what in the attached pic?
Yep both sides. But from this picture and the other, i can see that there is not military wrap like the description states.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll most likely need to notch your coil buckets to clear the boots on the the SPCs. Otherwise, they'll rip the boots. Some people avoid this by not using the full adjusmtent capability of the UCA, but you'll be better served to just trim them.

The first image below is before notching, the second is after.
Hey RikRong, how did you notch them? This is how it looks currently.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep both sides. But from this picture and the other, i can see that there is not military wrap like the description states.
Sorry Nissan4Life, I didn't see your response in time. So not sure if these pics will help. Here are both ends of the leaf springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hey RikRong, how did you notch them? This is how it looks currently.
In the pictures in my previous post, you can kind of see the uncut coil bucket in the first picture and then the cut coil bucket in the second picture. I used a Dremel with cutoff wheel to cut out the coil bucket where the UCA boot was hitting. You need to droop the suspension to see where the boot will hit, but you'll damage the boot if you do that. The best bet is to jack up the truck, disconect the spindle from the UCA, and manually move the UCA up and down so you can see how much needs to be cut.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the pictures in my previous post, you can kind of see the uncut coil bucket in the first picture and then the cut coil bucket in the second picture. I used a Dremel with cutoff wheel to cut out the coil bucket where the UCA boot was hitting. You need to droop the suspension to see where the boot will hit, but you'll damage the boot if you do that. The best bet is to jack up the truck, disconect the spindle from the UCA, and manually move the UCA up and down so you can see how much needs to be cut.
Thanks RikRong, I will look into it. Haven't noticed any issues yet, but I have not wheeled the truck since the install.

Reactions: RikRong

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Jack up the front of your truck and look to see if the rubber boot on the control arm is making contact with your coil bucket. It will cut through fast if it is and you flex your suspension a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay, so I see trucks with "levelers", lift Kits, lifts, and whatever else they are calling it .... so, here's my deal. I have heard that if you put a leveling kit on your truck, you run the risks of stressing components and wearing them out. Then, I hear if you want to do a lift kit correctly, you must also lift the chassis and then there are other schools of thought on this whole mess.

I just want something concrete to go with .. I don't need no damn 80" friggin lift, just want to lift it up another say, 2"-3" to get the clearance and the look.

Anyone out there that is an "expert" that can say unequivoally, that if I do this particular brands 3" lift kit, in this particular configuration, you won't run the risks of stressing components etc, etc.

Anybody?

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Read the stickies in the suspension section. It is ALL there. There is a lot to digest, so...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts